Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    • Aug 2012

Enjoyed Hannah French's presentation on weekdays this week.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Enjoyed Hannah French's presentation on weekdays this week.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        anton we’re her only two fans on the forum - Looking forward to Croissant Corner?
        I am / (before retirement) was a weekday breakfast listener. Not sure I'll join the EA fan club though, following a layabout's progress in getting out of bed (even as a public service) is a bit much...

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          I am / (before retirement) was a weekday breakfast listener. Not sure I'll join the EA fan club though, following a layabout's progress in getting out of bed (even as a public service) is a bit much...
          You surely can’t have retired young sir ……. ?????

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            We had one recently IIRC …..
            It seems a long time ago....

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Beware sisters and brothers double Elizabeth this weekend ……
              I turned her off immediately. I can't stand that breathy "Listen With Mother" approach. Let Martin do a Sat & Sun presentation next week in response!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                I turned her off immediately. I can't stand that breathy "Listen With Mother" approach. Let Martin do a Sat & Sun presentation next week in response!
                Horses for courses, I suppose. Martin is becoming increasingly self-indulgent and over-sharing of his private life (with plentiful name-dropping) in my view.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  Horses for courses, I suppose. Martin is becoming increasingly self-indulgent and over-sharing of his private life (with plentiful name-dropping) in my view.
                  That UTC is an occupational hazard of tv and radio presenters.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    That UTC is an occupational hazard of tv and radio presenters.
                    If anything, I think it's rather encouraged by management. These are not stiff professionals, but friends who you meet up with everyday. Text in and tell them about your life too - they'll love to hear from you.

All that this line of discussion shows is that people have their likes and dislikes when it comes to presenters. One man's meat …
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      If anything, I think it's rather encouraged by management. These are not stiff professionals, but friends who you meet up with everyday. Text in and tell them about your life too - they'll love to hear from you.

All that this line of discussion shows is that people have their likes and dislikes when it comes to presenters. One man's meat …
                      Were I a genius in the Beethoven mould, then I would happily confer the unmitigated benefits of my lifestyle over the airwaves - not otherwise.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        If anything, I think it's rather encouraged by management. These are not stiff professionals, but friends who you meet up with everyday. Text in and tell them about your life too…
                        They’ll soon be discussing your first pet’s name and asking for your mother’s maiden name.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          They’ll soon be discussing your first pet’s name and asking for your mother’s maiden name.
                          Have you been watching The Outlaws, Alpie?

Comment

• TBuckley

I recently listened to some of Alker's late night show 'Unclassified'. I thought that she presented the show very well - none of the
                            rather unnatural 'Listen with Mother' style which she uses on the Breakfast programme. I think that is largely due to her being more
                            comfortable with the music played on the late night show - it is 'her' music and programme.

I suspect that for the Breakfast show she is just given a playlist and an outline script - I doubt that she could care less about much of the
                            music played. And surely the presenting style she adopts for Breakfast is forced upon her by the programme makers.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
                              I recently listened to some of Alker's late night show 'Unclassified'. I thought that she presented the show very well - none of the
                              rather unnatural 'Listen with Mother' style which she uses on the Breakfast programme. I think that is largely due to her being more
                              comfortable with the music played on the late night show - it is 'her' music and programme.

I suspect that for the Breakfast show she is just given a playlist and an outline script - I doubt that she could care less about much of the
                              music played. And surely the presenting style she adopts for Breakfast is forced upon her by the programme makers.
                              It's a difficult call, isn't it? I once told a journal editor that I would refuse to review anything that I did not like, as it would be unfair on the artist and his or her followers; but I was an unpaid freelance. What do you do if employed by such an organisation as the BBC? Say "I really think it would be more appropriate to have someone more suited to presenting Breakfast than me"?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                It's a difficult call, isn't it? I once told a journal editor that I would refuse to review anything that I did not like, as it would be unfair on the artist and his or her followers; but I was an unpaid freelance. What do you do if employed by such an organisation as the BBC? Say "I really think it would be more appropriate to have someone more suited to presenting Breakfast than me"?
                                Call me cynical but not many radio presenters would turn down the chance of presenting a network breakfast show even if it meant linking seamlessly from Ken Dodd and his Diddymen through The Birdie Song to “ and now this golden memory from Karlheinz Stockhausen”

Comment

Working...
                                X