• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Not for the first time - and probably not the last - I have to confess that I find myself out of my depth as the discussion continues. If I weren't such a relentlessly cheerful person, I might find that somewhat discouraging.
    Never mind I just wanted to make it, er, crystal clear … that it wasn't anything you'd said that was being described as 'irrelevant'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      I accept that for many it isn't and shouldn't be R3 territory but it adds to the pleasure I and others get from the programme.
      And to cater for those who like the sycophancy and the “Oo, they read my name out on the radio” types, there are are plenty of radio stations that cater for their needs: Radios 1, 2, 5, 6, most local and commercial radio stations (including Scala and CFM) so it would be rather good if Radio 3 didn’t mindlessly copy them.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        And to cater for those who like the sycophancy and the “Oo, they read my name out on the radio” types, there are are plenty of radio stations that cater for their needs: Radios 1, 2, 5, 6, most local and commercial radio stations (including Scala and CFM) so it would be rather good if Radio 3 didn’t mindlessly copy them.
        May I suggest, in your opinion ….. but not in everyone’s ….. on the two occasions I emailed in to R3 programmes it was to champion a piece of music not to get my name mentioned …. What is the joy in that … ??? Surely it’s about the music …… ????

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          May I suggest, in your opinion ….. but not in everyone’s ….. on the two occasions I emailed in to R3 programmes it was to champion a piece of music not to get my name mentioned …. What is the joy in that … ??? Surely it’s about the music …… ????
          Precisely! I'm pleased when my suggestions are accepted but I don't think that makes me a sycophant. My occasional TV and radio appearances served merely to satisfy my curiosity as to what it was like to participate in a programme and discover the differences between what happens on the day in the studio and what is actually broadcast. None of these were life-changing events, nor were they meant to be, and I don't have recordings of any of them - just the odd photograph provided by the production company.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Precisely! I'm pleased when my suggestions are accepted but I don't think that makes me a sycophant. My occasional TV and radio appearances served merely to satisfy my curiosity as to what it was like to participate in a programme and discover the differences between what happens on the day in the studio and what is actually broadcast. None of these were life-changing events, nor were they meant to be, and I don't have recordings of any of them - just the odd photograph provided by the production company.
            Providing the BBC with feedback is a positive thing. Doing do in order to have your name broadcast to millions of potential listeners is quite a different matter. BBC Radio 3 seems intent on mimicking other stations and broadcasters. Weak!

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Providing the BBC with feedback is a positive thing. Doing do in order to have your name broadcast to millions of potential listeners is quite a different matter. BBC Radio 3 seems intent on mimicking other stations and broadcasters. Weak!
              Generally speaking, across the BBC, this trend over the last few years must have the intention of demonstrating that it is 'in touch' with its audience, satisfying its demands etc. How much more must that be a concern under this government: and perhaps nowhere more intensely than for R3 managers.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

I'm enjoying Hannah French's presentation today.

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2007

Going back to the name being mentioned on air, I had a couple of requests played on "Midweek Choice" about 30 years ago so it's not a new thing.
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

It's worth remembering that not so long ago they were much further down the chatshow/mindless entertainment morning schedule route than now. Not so long ago there used to be painful phone ins from inarticulate audience on bad lines wittering about how some well known tune reminded them of Auntie Doris's cat, the awful reverse tune gimmick etc. I don't know what effected the change but thank heavens it did. Now if we could get rid of or severely curtail the adverts...

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

I'm happy to use a false name next time if it will help! 'Herr Doktor Dietrich Oberschnurgelstein suggests that we play 'Hearts of Oak' to remind him of his happy childhood in Kilkenny (whoops!)'

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

As this seems to have become a hot topic again I thought I’d listen to Friday’s Essential Classics Playlist Challenge - probably the greatest of all E_A’s loves ….. Yes names are mentioned with the suggestions but never full names, usually it’s of Charles from Cambois. So surely those craving recognition on the wireless will be sadly disappointed …….

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Yes names are mentioned with the suggestions but never full names, usually it’s of Charles from Cambois. So surely those craving recognition on the wireless will be sadly disappointed …….
                          I have no opinion at all on why people write in with suggestions, under their real or any other name. It's the collusion I dislike. The idea that the BBC can say, "You see? we are in touch with our audiences and take their ideas seriously", when in fact they just pick and choose them to provide cheap airtime fillers. Contributions that "feed into the programmes' as Roger Wright described it. If your ideas don't fit our ours, just go away, please.

What other people want is for a Radio 3, with its superior resources and well informed personnel, to offer their ideas for worthwhile, horizon-expanding, innovative, risk-taking content. Not, "Come on, children, who wants to tell us what they liked doing on their holidays?" 'A Radio 3', because I doubt 'Radio 3' as is has such a capability any longer. And certainly no such aim.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I have no opinion at all on why people write in with suggestions, under their real or any other name. It's the collusion I dislike. The idea that the BBC can say, "You see? we are in touch with our audiences and take their ideas seriously", when in fact they just pick and choose them to provide cheap airtime fillers. Contributions that "feed into the programmes' as Roger Wright described it. If your ideas don't fit our ours, just go away, please.

What other people want is for a Radio 3, with its superior resources and well informed personnel, to offer their ideas for worthwhile, horizon-expanding, innovative, risk-taking content. Not, "Come on, children, who wants to tell us what they liked doing on their holidays?" 'A Radio 3', because I doubt 'Radio 3' as is has such a capability any longer. And certainly no such aim.
                            In this particular slot I am reasonably certain they get in touch because they want to suggest a piece of music that follows the starter and in their, probably very, very humble, opinion deserves to be heard.
                            I have no problem with that and have heard some, IMVVHO, fine music that is new to me.
                            You, and I don’t doubt, many other listeners have a problem with this ….. but in 24 hours broadcasting is there not space to pitch both tents …. ????

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Exactly! I’ve advocated for my two hobby horses, George Lloyd and Bo Holten. Occasionally, I’ve been successful…

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Suggestions for 'Breakfast' are treated differently from those for EC, the latter being entered in a kind of competition, with the 'winners' being chosen by the presenter/producers. Listeners to 'Breakfast' seeking instant fame, gratification or recognition may be disappointed, as their suggestion may not be played until several days later.
                                Those who would prefer what one might call a more Puritanical approach from Radio 3 have some 20 hours of request-free programmes to enjoy every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X