Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Does anyone at Radio 3 actually read this forum or are we just blowing in the wind? I always want to shake someone and make them take notice.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
      Does anyone at Radio 3 actually read this forum or are we just blowing in the wind? I always want to shake someone and make them take notice.
      Just blowing in the wind. Every now and again I can spot a BBC computer looking in, though less often now than previously. We spent the best part of 15 years, discussing things, pleading with them directly; but apart from me getting a couple of meals at Demartino, nobody else benefited much
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Just blowing in the wind. Every now and again I can spot a BBC computer looking in, though less often now than previously. We spent the best part of 15 years, discussing things, pleading with them directly; but apart from me getting a couple of meals at Demartino, nobody else benefited much
        Don’t forget our French fancies in the DG’s office, ff
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

I think I’d give the equivalent of a substantial whack of the licence fee for an Italian meal that I don’t have to cook myself this evening,.,mushroom risotto beckons

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Saturdays used to be R3 free from mid/late afternoon on as I wasn't keen on the cinema music slot, and opera is not my thing, but now it's just about the whole day off. Record Review used to be listened to quite a lot just out of general interest and the chance to pick up bits of information but the changes failed to keep my attention. The 'exciting new programmes' were either just a complete turn off(This classical life) or too often a disappointment in the 'missed opportunity'(Inside Music) stakes, so that rules out the rest of the day. EA doesn't irritate me as much as it does many on here but I don't actually enjoy either her presenting or her music choices(listened to in the spirit of OK now I've heard that I don't need to listen again) that much, so it isn't what I would call listening. Coupled with rubbish TV on a Saturday it's very much an 'amuse yourself' day. Not so much of an issue B4CV19, when I could fill the time quite easily out and about, but more of a problem now when weather and restrictions mean confined to quarters. I have plenty I could do, but there are occasions, especially when health issues are intrusive, when a bit of no-effort distraction is welcome.
            More or less agreed. Record Review still gets a listen; and depending on the ‘host’, Inside Music can be a good listen (there a have been a few good ones lately). I enjoy Sound of Cinema downloaded during cycling constitutionals in the Park. Otherwise, yes Saturday is a no-go area for live R3 listening

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              More or less agreed. Record Review still gets a listen; and depending on the ‘host’, Inside Music can be a good listen (there a have been a few good ones lately). I enjoy Sound of Cinema downloaded during cycling constitutionals in the Park. Otherwise, yes Saturday is a no-go area for live R3 listening
              I agree there have been some good Inside Music episodes, but sometimes when I'm feeling fed-up and generally out of sorts, the enjoyment is tinged with 'why can't they do this properly all the time? There is a tendency for it to default to "My favourite tunes" without the "inside" bit which I expect of the musician presenting such a programme. I want to have learnt a bit more about the piece and the mechanics of performing it if it is part of that person's repertoire, not just when it was first heard, played etc, at which point it just becomes one step up from the morning schedules, complete with filleting.
              Too demanding, me.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

This morning there was at least the option of Test Match Special, which has adopted a zoom-based format for the Sri Lanka series, giving them all something else to talk about. Though if you’re not a fan, I doubt this will convert you

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Too demanding, me.
                  I don’t think so. I must confess I look in advance and only listen if it’s an orchestral musician or a soloist I’m interested in...

Same applies as to comments above re: Martin Handley - a trained musician usually gives valuable insights & choices, even if it’s in a ‘favourite tunes’ context - if it’s in a musical genre I’m into.

Too narrow-minded, me!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Don’t forget our French fancies in the DG’s office, ff
                    I had forgotten. I had one to be polite, but you, churlishly, refused! That was when we were both waiting for each other in Pizza Express while sitting on opposite sides of a pillar, both thinking the other wasn't going to turn up and we'd have to beard the lion alone. O, les beaux jours!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I had forgotten. I had one to be polite, but you, churlishly, refused! That was when we were both waiting for each other in Pizza Express while sitting on opposite sides of a pillar, both thinking the other wasn't going to turn up and we'd have to beard the lion alone. O, les beaux jours!
                      Did I?! Sounds most unlike me to refuse free food!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Did I?! Sounds most unlike me to refuse free food!
                        You did, you did. And I don't like cake anyway. They were Mr Kipling's French Fancies, weren't they? I suppose that was in my honour.

Actually, I think you inflated our importance it was CR3, not the DG, wasn't it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

You did, you did. And I don't like cake anyway. They were Mr Kipling's French Fancies, weren't they? I suppose that was in my honour.

Actually, I think you inflated our importance it was CR3, not the DG, wasn't it.
                          Definitely Mr Kipling’s ... and yes indeed, I meant Mr Davey

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2020

I'm really enjoying my 'Breakfast' this morning - a delightful choice of items brought into my house and life by a knowledgeable chap who not only has a voice made for radio but also treats me as an adult and - dare I say it - a friend.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Definitely Mr Kipling’s ... and yes indeed, I meant Mr Davey
                                Whose version of Rach 2 was playing?

Comment

Working...
                                X