X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Erm...EBU Christmas broadcasts from 9-00am on?
    Yes, you remind me that earlier I was looking forward to those; but have been deflected by having had my family Christmas cancelled by the Plague.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I enjoy that every morning - and have done for the past few years. It's not so bad I may not know what I'm missing (good as well as awful), but 'Where ignorance is bliss …'.
      Agree with all of that, FF, and, as JLW pointed out elsewhere, 'silence' often means gentle ambient sounds: here, this morning, the voices of passers by, my importunate elderly cat, a passing car or two, a snatch of birdsong: 'Paradise enow'.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Scraping the barrel yesterday morning with an extremely laboured "Twelve Days of Christmas" set of musical associations. Inspiration failed the Breakfast team early as they looked for suitable classical segues. "I can't offer you five gold rings" Georgia Mann assured us, "so instead we will have five million gold bars as depicted by Sergio Morricone in blah blah blah". Later, presumably having not decided to dump this wretched pantomime we sunk even further to the nadir as "not having two turtle doves we do have the coo-ing of Nerone and Poppea in Pur ti miro"

Needless to say the radio's off switch was booted very firmly and harmony was restored with an album of unadulterated bliss in the shape of Vivaldi bassoon concertos caressingly played by the masterly Sergio Azzolini (qv).

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Alternatively, why not listen to your own collection or one of the streaming services where a myriad recordings are there to satisfy every taste? Qobuz and Spotify et al offer curated (sic) playlists which take away the overwhelming burden of choice.
          I missed this suggestion. At the risk of being unceremoniously expelled from this hallowed grove, I don't want to be listening to music all the time: I find it distracting.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I missed this suggestion. At the risk of being unceremoniously expelled from this hallowed grove, I don't want to be listening to music all the time: I find it distracting.
            Oh I think we'll manage to accommodate your quirks FF! The distraction factor was the reason( in addition to losing soft bits and getting earache from loud bits) I stopped listening to the radio when I was driving; it was especially problematic when I started singing to what was being broadcast as I would then lose concentration on the road to a disturbing degree.
            I still have flashes of guilt at doing something else which may interrupt concentration while listening to music, thanks to childhood indoctrination.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Scraping the barrel yesterday morning with an extremely laboured "Twelve Days of Christmas" set of musical associations. Inspiration failed the Breakfast team early as they looked for suitable classical segues. "I can't offer you five gold rings" Georgia Mann assured us, "so instead we will have five million gold bars as depicted by Sergio Morricone in blah blah blah". Later, presumably having not decided to dump this wretched pantomime we sunk even further to the nadir as "not having two turtle doves we do have the coo-ing of Nerone and Poppea in Pur ti miro"

Needless to say the radio's off switch was booted very firmly and harmony was restored with an album of unadulterated bliss in the shape of Vivaldi bassoon concertos caressingly played by the masterly Sergio Azzolini (qv).
              "can't offer you five gold rings"? It's only five years since the year openned to Howard Skempton's "Five Rings Tripples"

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                The distraction factor was the reason( in addition to losing soft bits and getting earache from loud bits) I stopped listening to the radio when I was driving; .
                I watched a webcast of one of the DCMS seminars on R3 (anent Charter renewal). Various luminaries took part, including Roger Wright. One of the leading speakers said that there was one R3 controller (unnamed, but I'd guess John Drummond) who said it was impossible to listen to music while driving. Oh, how they laughed! But I'm the same: I used to drive from Bristol to Aberdeen in total silence. My brother only listens to radio when driving.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  "can't offer you five gold rings"? It's only five years since the year openned to Howard Skempton's "Five Rings Tripples"
                  A Cornish 12 days we sing has ‘On the 5th day of Christmas my true love sent to me, 5 Cream Teas, 4 Heavy Cakes, 3 Saffron Buns, 2 Cockle Shells and A Star-gazy Pie for my tea.’

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Ms Alker on Pointless this evening on BBC1 apparently
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                      Ms Alker on Pointless this evening on BBC1 apparently
                      Are you her other half Rumpole ..... ????

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        A radio-themed edition featuring Johnnie Walker, Stuart Maconie and Harriet Scott.

Looks like she’s partnering Stuart Maconie so I would guess flying the 6Radio flag. Johnnie Walker and Sally Traffic are there representing Radio 2 from a time when it was still worth a listen!

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r0dd

Looks like she’s partnering Stuart Maconie so I would guess flying the 6Radio flag. Johnnie Walker and Sally Traffic are there representing Radio 2 from a time when it was still worth a listen!

JW not with Tiggy Stardust ..... !!!!!! .... ff, and indeed the whole South West, will surely be up in arms ..........

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Alas, anton...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2020

Never was a programme more aptly named than 'Pointless Celebrities'!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

JW not with Tiggy Stardust ..... !!!!!! .... ff, and indeed the whole South West, will surely be up in arms ..........
                                Not this part!

Comment

Working...
                                X