Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

mind you that Calleja track from this morning's chart was something else (in my opinion). JC is rapidly becoming my vocal hero (should you wish to know that).

Comment

• Shahrazad
      • Sep 2011

Forgive me if I'm repeating points made eternally but I'm new to this forum. Another person who feels evicted from breakfast listening (when I have most time to listen, and as I have done with great pleasure and musical education for years) - as I don't want to be patronised or tweeted or exposed to endless chit-chat and babble, and a reduced repertoire of chart-topping hits. It does now seem patently clear that the new Breakfast format is a blatant copy of Classic FM designed to poach listeners and retain them. Well, that would be great to win converts. But it it not an insult to their intelligence to say that if they discover while listening to CFM that they like classical music, they are incapable of deciding by themselves to turn the switch and try Radio 3? That they have to be lured onto it by phone-ins and charts?

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        mind you that Calleja track from this morning's chart was something else (in my opinion). JC is rapidly becoming my vocal hero (should you wish to know that).
        mercia - thank you for sharing. I think our listeners would like to know whether you prefer listening to Calleja
        a) when boiling an egg
        b) when shaving
        c) when sitting on the lavatory
        Why not text, tweet, or facebook your experience of listening to Calleja - and perhaps listeners might also like to tell us what music they like when boiling eggs, shaving, or sitting on the lavatory? And while on this subject, do let us know how you like your eggs - and when you shave, electric or wet? foam or gel? - and when you're on the lavatory....

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Shahrazad View Post
          Forgive me if I'm repeating points made eternally but I'm new to this forum.
          No problem. We all repeat these points ad nauseam. And some people feel that now is the time to repeat them more than ever.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            mercia - thank you for sharing
            you're welcome, and thank you for your interest
            Calleja-listening is done whilst feeding the cat - just purrrrrrrrrfect
            Vivaldi for egg-boiling so that you get just the right timing for a soft-boil
            lavatory attendance should ideally be done to Schubert Impromptus - keeps you nice and regular
            and shaving to Slavonic Dances (see above Schubert Impromptus)
            suffice to say all this information has been texted-in and I await the call from production to say I am the chosen one
            but enough of me, what are your personal habits, V?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Lovemaking to the slow movement of Bax Symphony No 6. Luckily it was an automatic record player.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                but enough of me, what are your personal habits, V?
                why, thank you...

breakfast of course depends on the day of the week -M devilled kidneys; t scrambled eggs with salmon; W kedgeree; Th eggs and bacon; F kippers; S lamb cutlets; Su cold ham... in each case, accompanied by the approrpriate bach cantata for the day

shaving: a Scarlatti sonata or two

the lavatory: Radio 4's Today programme used to be a very effective adjuvant; nowadays the offerings of Radio 3 Breakfast even more effective...

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

the slow movement of Bax Symphony No 6
                  moderato circa 9 minutes

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

why, thank you...

breakfast of course depends on the day of the week -M devilled kidneys; t scrambled eggs with salmon; W kedgeree; Th eggs and bacon; F kippers; S lamb cutlets; Su cold ham... in each case, accompanied by the approrpriate bach cantata for the day

shaving: a Scarlatti sonata or two

the lavatory: Radio 4's Today programme used to be a very effective adjuvant; nowadays the offerings of Radio 3 Breakfast even more effective...
                    My goodness, how the other half lives in Shepherd's Bush, Vinteuil - I feel quite deprived!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

perhaps listeners might also like to tell us what music they like when..........sitting on the lavatory? ....
                      scheidt (I've already got my coat!)

Comment

• Osborn

perhaps listeners might also like to tell us what music they like...when sitting on the lavatory?...
                        Our local Bangladeshi has a dish named 'Chef's Classic Choice'. One day he made me play the closing pages of Walkure the next morning; on other visits I've been primed with Largo al Factotum, the noisy bits of the 1812 Overture & the slow movement of the Hammerklavier. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Wallace

I have just returned from an expedition into the murky depths of the pond - and it was grim, very grim indeed. I have to confess that I have created a Tweeter account (note the deliberate mistake in the use of the modern argot in a feeble and pathetic attempt to distance myself from it).

Having accustomed myself to what was going on and the mad frantic postings (and it was 10 times worse than I expected it to be) I found my way to the postings for @PetrocTrelawny London, UK -
                          "Presenter of BBC R3 Breakfast & Live in Concert host, as well as occasional TV music events. Tweeting about music, arts, news, travel trains and planes."

What surprised me, apart from the banality of it all, was how little of it there was. Here is for the past 24 hours - what @PetrocTrelawny said anyway.

@BBCRadio3 ENO's The Passenger seems to split opinion. Secky in Indy only just gives it 3*. Eager to see though. http://ind.pn/nrRnyk
                          1 hour ago
                          »
                          @stephenjdavis1 @SouthPacificUK Bravo, toi toi etc etc. Have fun.
                          4 hours ago
                          »
                          @thoroughlygood hello. shattered with these early starts. But what's with concern over who reads the weather ... seems oddly controversial
                          8 hours ago
                          »
                          @houghhough Chopin up the charts to No 3 this week - bravo. Knock Lang Lang off top spot next week surely ...
                          12 hours ago
                          »
                          @thesidsmith @BBCRadio3 where's the office Sid ?
                          14 hours ago
                          »
                          @IntervalThinks But I did like To Lizbie Brown ... I think English song may be an aquired taste !
                          14 hours ago
                          »
                          @BBCRadio3 M Weinberg’s 'The Passenger' opened last night at ENO. N Lebrecht-'something very close to a masterpiece' http://bit.ly/pbLFGY
                          14 hours ago
                          »
                          Morning.Abbado's Mendelssohn shortly on Breakfast @BBCRadio3. After 7 Pollini gets heroic & Janos Starker unites Beethoven and Mozart
                          14 hours ago

A search on people who had posted to him didn't throw up much either. There was one about the Albanian wine being drunk for breakfast which he read out but not much more. The only criticism to which he responded was from someone who twittered "You appear to be reading out the weather forecast on Breakfast. What ON EARTH is going on? Stop this madness please." So, if despite all the pleas for the listeners to do some twittering, it looks like hardly anyone does. Do you think FOR3 might be missing a trick? We could bombard him with our thoughts and get him to realise that it does matter who reads the weather forecast and it goes right to the heart of the matter and the problem with the new breakfast.

I have to say that during my visit I did not twitter at anyone. I just lurked in the gutter and watched others doing it. A bit of voyeur then! I feel I now need to cleanse myself - I shall run myself a bath and add some fragrances.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                            I feel I now need to cleanse myself - I shall run myself a bath and add some fragrances.

I don't quite understand. Are these Petroc's twitters to someone else or theirs to him?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wallace

As I understand it, they were twitters from Petroc to the twittering world.

I think the following were from the listeners to Petroc

paulbanks60Paul Banks
                              @PetrocTrelawny I've just got in from work and can't find that photo you re tweeted this morning from Whitley Bay. Can you help??
                              17 minutes ago
                              »
                              thoroughlygoodJon Jacob
                              @PetrocTrelawny Naturally a friendly paw extends to you for the early starts. But surely, you do get the rest of the day off?
                              8 hours ago
                              »
                              thoroughlygoodJon Jacob
                              @PetrocTrelawny I was being mildly amusing though note I missed off the smiley face. It's an unnerving thing when the conventions change
                              9 hours ago
                              »
                              Paul_EdmondsonPaul_Edmondson
                              'Uranus, the magician' #Holst's the planets @petroctrelawny Why?
                              13 hours ago
                              »
                              omniphonikLiv McLennan
                              What a lovely way to be eased out of bed: Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence :-) Thank you @BBCRadio3 @PetrocTrelawny
                              14 hours ago
                              »
                              petermeanwellpeter
                              @PetrocTrelawny Albanian wine was, unsurprisingly, excellent. Although it wasn't unusual to witness people having a bottle with breakfast...
                              14 hours ago
                              »
                              thesidsmithSid Smith
                              @PetrocTrelawny @BBCRadio3 Whitley Bay up in the north east. I'm a freelance writer & work from home.Pic taken as Handel was underway
                              14 hours ago
                              »
                              thesidsmithSid Smith
                              @PetrocTrelawny @BBCRadio3 here's the view from the office as I listen to the show...http://twitpic.com/6nobxj

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Well, three are from BBC types ...

Still, it's early days. It could take off like the R3 blog ...

Comment

Working...
                                X