X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
    I was most concerned by the implied threat that, now Petroc knows how Copland pronounced it, he will be playing it again soon so that he can introduce it correctly.
    Surely we've been saddled with the work for long enough already though?

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Nothing wrong with being odd
      Thank heavens for that!

Comment

• alycidon
        • Feb 2013

Me too, Stanfordian. I got my love of classical music from it being played as we entered and left morning assembly. It started with Oveture Egmont, followed closely by the St Antoni Variations and the fifth movement of the Pastoral Symphony. No doubt I would have developed a love for classical, but it was this that definitely started it all.
        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Today to, I am sure, delight all listeners here, Petroc gave us Copland’s Rodeo with potted history, dob .... in fact the works ......
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

We too had classical music played before assembly. It was completeLy different from the classical music played at home.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Today to, I am sure, delight all listeners here, Petroc gave us Copland’s Rodeo with potted history, dob .... in fact the works ......
              Interestingly (to me ) I was put off Copland largely by repeats of rodeo and some other Copland war-horses and told a friend that try as I might I can't get into Copland. Then I heard his charming story about the titling of Appalachian Spring: somehow this turned a switch somewhere inside and I've been able to hear his music anew (though more work needed ).

The story is that while working on the music, he always referred to it as 'New Martha Graham Ballet'. He only learned the Appalachian Spring name (IIRC) once the music was completed. He preceded this bit of the story with anecodtes of fans saying, 'Mr Copland, when I hear this piece I can positively smell the Appalachian woods in springtime'....

Comment

• stortoterpsicho
                • Oct 2019

great music has a civilising effect more than any other cultural discipline be it fine art. literature whatever and should be more accessible . how many were 1st attracted by a snippet over a tv credit or advert. it's insufficient to restrict it to radio 3 alone. 'pop' music has the nations ear to the discredit of the programmers who should do more to introduce it to a wider public

Comment

• stortoterpsicho
                  • Oct 2019

sorry lads. wrong thread

Comment

• LezLee
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by stortoterpsicho View Post
                    sorry lads. wrong thread

...and lasses I hope!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

great music has a civilising effect more than any other cultural discipline

Fania Fénelon (1922-1983) was a French pianist, composer and cabaret singer whose contested 1976 memoir, Sursis pour l'orchestre, about survival in the Women's Orchestra of Auschwitz during the Holocaust was adapted as the 1980 television film, Playing for Time.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

great music has a civilising effect more than any other cultural discipline
                        Civilising in this sense perhaps?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          Civilising in this sense perhaps?
                          Classical music was frequently relayed over the pa system at Brixton tube station for this very purpose, a few years ago. It was always being played whenever I used the station. I'm not sure if this is still the practice.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Classical music was frequently relayed over the pa system at Brixton tube station for this very purpose, a few years ago. It was always being played whenever I used the station. I'm not sure if this is still the practice.
                            Coincidence I hope rather than cause and effect?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              The same was (is?) the case at Hounslow West Tube Station. Unfortunately, they appear to have opted for PD recordings made with less than inspired forces.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Forcing people to listen to music in shops, stations, prisons and doctors' surgeries is never a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X