X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I tried, I tried this morning, hoping the sing-song nursery voice had perhaps been modulated, but no - so off after twelve minutes.

Edit: And looking at the playlist I can see what storto means.
    To be fair, she has encouraged me to rediscover the joys of 'Sounds Of The 60s' on Radio 2 - and, yes, Tony Blackburn, awful jokes and all, IS preferable for at least this listener.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I thought the musical content this morning was quite interesting, but the verbal delivery was appalling. If we must be talked down to, at least try and make it as interesting as Listen with Mother.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        To be fair, she has encouraged me to rediscover the joys of 'Sounds Of The 60s' on Radio 2 - and, yes, Tony Blackburn, awful jokes and all, IS preferable for at least this listener.
        And let’s not forget that Alan Freeman featured Dvorak and Bizet in his jingles

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I thought the musical content this morning was quite interesting, but the verbal delivery was appalling. If we must be talked down to, at least try and make it as interesting as Listen with Mother.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Yes but why has the BBC relegated the timing of Sound of the Sixties to 6am - do they think all of us oldies are insomniacs or early risers - it's dark 'til after 7 until March now! - Never did like Blackburn (He liked himself far more than the music - morning R3?), somehow Brian Matthew was never replaceable unless they could find David Symonds!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                .... - Never did like Blackburn (He liked himself far more than the music - morning R3?), ......
                With you all the way cloughers but IMVVHO only Georgia has that streak of a R3 morning ......

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Yes but why has the BBC relegated the timing of Sound of the Sixties to 6am - do they think all of us oldies are insomniacs or early risers - it's dark 'til after 7 until March now! - Never did like Blackburn (He liked himself far more than the music - morning R3?), somehow Brian Matthew was never replaceable unless they could find David Symonds!
                  I'm not a great fan of Tony Blackburn as such, but at least he treats his listeners as recycled adolescents rather than not particularly bright primary-school children. And he's been around long enough to know his audience - which cannot perhaps be said of Ms/Miss Alker. Whether she'll improve with time I can't say. I agree about the timing of 'Sounds Of the Sixties' - and the repeat is buried in the small hours. Still, there'a always 'Gambo', who doesn't get in the way of the music on those occasions when 'Pick Of the Pops' revisits the 60s. (He's also a capable host of 'Counterpoint', which I'm pleased to see has barely changed its format over the years).

Comment

• stortoterpsicho
                    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Of the 14 pieces 9 were what might be considered 'core' repertoire, but I think that if that's what you want then mornings are possibly not your best bet? In any case Saturdays have a different arrangement because of Record Review - plenty of 'core repertoire' but not in the form you presumably want it!
                    if your figures are correct that means about 36 % was not classical in its accepted definition. i don't think that's really enough for a flagship Saturday morning classical station and wouldn't happen under martin.
                    i think Elizabeth likes to indulge her own tastes i suspect with the approval of her guvnors believing this will attract younger listeners. not sure it will . i think suzy klein said recently they will come to classical music in their own time and it"s pointless corrupting the very product you're trying to attract them to

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

....Still, there'a always 'Gambo', who doesn't get in the way of the music on those occasions when 'Pick Of the Pops' revisits the 60s.
                      A former high profile R3 signing from the Dark Side, who, I understand, wasn’t really welcomed .....

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

....they will come to classical music in their own time and it"s pointless corrupting the very product you're trying to attract them to ...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by stortoterpsicho View Post
                          if your figures are correct that means about 36 % was not classical in its accepted definition. i don't think that's really enough for a flagship Saturday morning classical station and wouldn't happen under martin.
                          i think Elizabeth likes to indulge her own tastes i suspect with the approval of her guvnors believing this will attract younger listeners. not sure it will . i think suzy klein said recently they will come to classical music in their own time and it"s pointless corrupting the very product you're trying to attract them to
                          So why not play mornings of full works and then they will be there waiting for them when the road to Damascus beckons?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

So why not play mornings of full works and then they will be there waiting for them when the road to Damascus beckons?
                            Ironically, Doc. Walker's Sunday Morning had the whole of Haydn's Symphony no. 59. However the online listing has is as four separate items. Each of its 4 movements are given their own slot in the running order.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Ironically, Doc. Walker's Sunday Morning had the whole of Haydn's Symphony no. 59. However the online listing has is as four separate items. Each of its 4 movements are given their own slot in the running order.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009c5x
                              I guess we should be grateful if there was no news bulletin or trailers between the 'songs', which is presumably what the software treats each track as.

A similar thing has happened with the Beethoven Piano sonata later on.
                              Best not to comment on the Bach, I feel.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by stortoterpsicho View Post
                                I'm not sure a relatively fledgling presenter would be able to determine what music is played on their own show. I am of the school that young people will come to classical in their own time, if at all. With the ability to play music that we want on demand my guess it that classical music is further down the list of younger people than ever before. I've seen the age range of classical music audiences get high and higher over the years. I'm in my sixties now and with the odd exception I can often be one of the youngest in there concert hall / recital.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-10-19, 19:37.

Comment

Working...
                                X