• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "The Gasper" ... ???
    Sorry Leader ..... one of our number is convinced that Petroc gasps through every announcement .......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Ah! Thank you, anton - that could lead to a little in-forum divertissement of thinking up nicknames for the presenters: The Gabbler; The Lisper; The Nanny .... perhaps not: sounds like a bunch of rejected ideas for Batman villains.

But does this make Jonathan Swain the "Gasper de la Nuit"?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Ah! Thank you, anton - that could lead to a little in-forum divertissement of thinking up nicknames for the presenters: The Gabbler; The Lisper; The Nanny .... perhaps not: sounds like a bunch of rejected ideas for Batman villains.

Excellent, FHG.

OG

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          The Gasper reading the News ...... ???? ..... and very well too IMVVHO .....
          I agree, but for me it does raise the question as to why he can't do the presenting in a similarly punctuation-observed, consistent fashion. His habit of losing the ends of phrases by going very quiet (mumbling would be another way of putting it) is infuriating, especially when they include the info about composer/performer.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Excellent, FHG.

OG
            Excellent indeed fhg .......

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Are you referring to the ineffable Paddy O'Connell, who read the 0800 bulletin?
              I hope he’s ineffable - particularly if he’s reading the news on the BBC!

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

Love it!

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  I agree, but for me it does raise the question as to why he can't do the presenting in a similarly punctuation-observed, consistent fashion. His habit of losing the ends of phrases by going very quiet (mumbling would be another way of putting it) is infuriating, especially when they include the info about composer/performer.
                  Agreed on that, but PT's not the only culprit; it seems to be a trait amongst several of the current crop of presenters. Tom Service and Katie Derham are particularly bad offenders. It's particularly annoying when listening in a car where the tailing off means the information is lost altogether under road noise. Perhaps they think we're all listening on headphones or to hi-fi in quiet rooms.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                    Agreed on that, but PT's not the only culprit; it seems to be a trait amongst several of the current crop of presenters. Tom Service and Katie Derham are particularly bad offenders. It's particularly annoying when listening in a car where the tailing off means the information is lost altogether under road noise. Perhaps they think we're all listening on headphones or to hi-fi in quiet rooms.

I doubt thinking comes into it; they don't hear themselves as we hear them and I doubt anyone at the business end notices either, so it goes unchallenged. I don't listen to either of the above mentioned presenters except by accident so that reduces the inconvenience.

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      [/B]I don't listen to either of the above mentioned presenters except by accident so that reduces the inconvenience.
                      Very wise!

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I've become a regular listener to 'B.H.' on Sunday mornings. Apart from an inexplicable devotion to the Eurovision Song Contest, Paddy's a splendid fellow.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          This set off one of those niggles that took a while to pin down - eff and ineffable. Turns out it was T S Eliot's 'The Naming of Cats' - "His ineffable effable Effanineffable"
                          These days it sounds rather more dubious than perhaps it did when it was written.
                          Douglas Adams' take on it is more aware I would imagine
                          “Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... and not forgetting -

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Sorry Leader ..... one of our number is convinced that Petroc gasps through every announcement .......
                              Guilty as charged. But everyone has to breath somewhere. It’s just a pity that so many R3 announcers don’t choose to do this between sentences.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                                Excellent, FHG.

OG
                                Don't tell him that - he'll only ravel in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X