X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
    I think it means that those of us who like (for the most part) what Breakfast is now are little better than Pavlovian dogs. Because of course Eine Alpensinfonie must be right and it's all dire.

And re GS (not JS, I think, thank goodness, otherwise we'd be getting our Swains and Smiths in a twist), exactly right. It's his way, and I like it (idiot that I am).
    My apologies of course it’s GS .....

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

:I do however think that the Controller would now do well to turn his attention to Essential Classics.
      I may be mistaken, but some of the recent ECs with Mr Skelly do seem to have had longer - possibly even complete- pieces.
      If the powers that be can't be bothered to engage with the audience(who would be only too happy to make constructive and workable suggestions) they could do worse than consult aforementioned gentleman who is not only pretty clued up about his listeners but also not afraid to make his views known to said listeners by means of somewhat subversive humour on air and I think more directly via online means(to judge from a couple of email replies I have had from him)
      Just a thought - I like the current arrangement of shorter EC to allow for morning Edinburgh/Proms concerts(not least because I find it easier just to keep listening rather than having to remember to switch on at a later stage) and wonder if a version of that might be a way forward? The 'new' audience might continue listening a bit longer and have the chance to hear 'proper' R3 fare.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Not sure what this means ......... and JS has started his trailer this way for years come Handley come Alkers ......
        And unlike the Beeb repetitive blunt instrument approach, GS then goes on to say what's going to be in the programme - once. So it's only the greeting which is the same - and isn't it 'Good Morning Breakfasters' rather than Hi?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          And unlike the Beeb repetitive blunt instrument approach, GS then goes on to say what's going to be in the programme - once. So it's only the greeting which is the same - and isn't it 'Good Morning Breakfasters' rather than Hi?
          It is indeed, but again I suspect that it suits the OP’s purposes to have ‘misheard’ a more demotic ‘hi!’

But he needn’t worry: GS’s cheery greeting will soon be no more, as his programme is being ‘rested’ w.e.f. this autumn.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Have the BBC mentioned anything today about the Placido Domingo who is in the news today?

Article in today's Guardian and other news channels.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ual-harassment
            Yes, the Placido Domingo story was included in the 6.00 p.m. news on Radio 4. There's also a full report on the BBC News website.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Yes, the Placido Domingo story was included in the 6.00 p.m. news on Radio 4. There's also a full report on the BBC News website.
              I remain unsure about why Stanfordian asked that question on this thread.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

As do I …… he may have been disappointed to find that it didn't make the 10.00 p.m. news on BBC 1 - Placido was probably edged out by more footage of the fight against 'county lines' in N W England.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Approx 0725 this morning, with an apparently straight face, Petroc announces that
                  [named listener] says "long time since we heard any Scheit on Radio 3"

...Made me laugh anyway

OG

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    Approx 0725 this morning, with an apparently straight face, Petroc announces that ...

...Made me laugh anyway

OG
                    He obviously doesn't listen to 'Essential Classics' or 'In Tune'.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Approx 0725 this morning, with an apparently straight face, Petroc announces that ...

...Made me laugh anyway

OG
                      I did wonder if he hadn't realised beforehand what it would sound like - there was something of a hesitation before he carried on. The forename 'Samuel' is usually used with the surname...

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        He obviously doesn't listen to 'Essential Classics' or 'In Tune'.

Harsh cloughers ...... incredibly harsh ......

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          I did wonder if he hadn't realised beforehand what it would sound like - there was something of a hesitation before he carried on. The forename 'Samuel' is usually used with the surname...
                          The delivery suggested to me that he knew exactly what he was doing. It was beautifully done!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Harsh cloughers ...... incredibly harsh ......
                            Like Karen Brady! Fair?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Please don't put me forward for hanging, drawing and quartering.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

...Made me laugh anyway

OG
                                I heard that. Resisted the temptation to post about it here.

Comment

Working...
                                X