Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    So am I.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      How exciting.

I am often one of just a few thousand.
      Nice to feel special. I started to write me too then thought better of it.....Many's the time the output between 2 and 4 has enabled me to reset and get back to bed and sleep. Hearing something unfamiliar is a bonus, and makes the distraction effect even better.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Nice to feel special. I started to write me too then thought better of it.....Many's the time the output between 2 and 4 has enabled me to reset and get back to bed and sleep. Hearing something unfamiliar is a bonus, and makes the distraction effect even better.
        That goes for me too!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Many's the time the output between 2 and 4 has enabled me to reset and get back to bed and sleep. Hearing something unfamiliar is a bonus, and makes the distraction effect even better.
          Who remembers that distressing time at about 3am when the schools programme intervened? I didn't want just anything to listen to - especially not broadcasting for 6-year-olds (no jokes about Breakfast and Essential,Classics, please).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DaisyDog
            • Jun 2016

There is a solution that can satisfy both types of listeners: a "Radio 3Xtra" channel, in which the previous night's Through the Night is rebroadcast from 6:00 am onwards. But the Beeb is not focussed on satisfying its funders - merely on attracting listeners from other radio stations.[/QUOTE]

Yes! That would get my vote! Me, one of the few thousand that greatly enjoy Through the Night. It's a pleasant way to spend insomniac time, listening to great music with minimal chat, whole works and not just short excerpts, sometimes even complete operas. Perhaps Radio 3 could give a daytime trial of past TRN programme, say on a Sunday, if not a separate Radio 3Xtra channel, to cope with us music and music alone lovers. Fat chance I know, but one can hope and dream.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              That makes two and a half, because in the words of the song, I'm not half the man I used to be.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                There is a solution that can satisfy both types of listeners: a "Radio 3Xtra" channel, in which the previous night's Through the Night is rebroadcast from 6:00 am onwards. But the Beeb is not focussed on satisfying its funders - merely on attracting listeners from other radio stations.
                Yes! That would get my vote! Me, one of the few thousand that greatly enjoy Through the Night. It's a pleasant way to spend insomniac time, listening to great music with minimal chat, whole works and not just short excerpts, sometimes even complete operas. Perhaps Radio 3 could give a daytime trial of past TRN programme, say on a Sunday, if not a separate Radio 3Xtra channel, to cope with us music and music alone lovers. Fat chance I know, but one can hope and dream.[/QUOTE]

Or stay awake!

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Some three or four years ago, I found myself increasingly retuning from Radio 3 to Radio 4 during the 'Breakfast Slot'. Recently, I've found myself increasingly retuning from Radio 4 to Radio 3 during the 'Breakfast Slot'. Apart from suggesting that I'm fickle and/or that the news has generally become much more depressing and coverage of it increasingly annoying, this has led me to wonder to what extent there has always been a degree of periodic switching between Radios 3 and 4 over the breakfast period.

Comment

• DaisyDog
                    • Jun 2016

Following on from recent 'Through the Night' thoughts - TTN is not entirely great. They really do play some real stinkers. There seem to be a lot of mediocre musicians out there. I’ve heard some appalling interpretations of great classics these last few nights. Buggered Beethoven and shattered Schubert by pianists with no musical sense whatever, their rhythm and phrasing all over the place. I can only suppose that they are cheap or free to the BBC. Shame. Somebody would surely pick up on this if they were broadcast during daylight hours. But OK for us few but less discerning insomniacs then . . .

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Some three or four years ago, I found myself increasingly retuning from Radio 3 to Radio 4 during the 'Breakfast Slot'. Recently, I've found myself increasingly retuning from Radio 4 to Radio 3 during the 'Breakfast Slot'. Apart from suggesting that I'm fickle and/or that the news has generally become much more depressing and coverage of it increasingly annoying, this has led me to wonder to what extent there has always been a degree of periodic switching between Radios 3 and 4 over the breakfast period.
                      When I had to work for a living a combination of 3 and 4 was my daily listening, other than a couple of years before the current R5L started when my in-car pre-work listening was Danny Baker on 5, but then my car radio only had MW and LW so the choice was limited! Nowadays R Cornwall is my choice, but I've always been a channel switcher by nature. The dpressing thing now is that often nothing on any station that I wish to listen to - CDs a plenty why worry!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

Just make sure the next car you buy has or can accommodate a CD player. I am suffering from a 2015 model with integrated audio/satnav/reversing camera and I havbe had to settle for a DVD player, which does play CDs, plugged into the 3.5mm jack auxiliary socket. Its a plasticky unit (sort of thing to placate children with DVDs on long journeys), but it does output a decent level (volume) and can withstand knocks and jolts.
                        (When I bitterly settled for the above I told the chap in the dealers (vis a vis "just connect your phone or ipod to the bluetooth" that I don't listen to tracks, but works, and I have far too many CDs to stick them all on a phone or iPod).

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

The Squire played George Formby this morning and the lad from Wigan won ........

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Sounded like a load of old flannelette to me!

OG

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              The Squire played George Formby this morning and the lad from Wigan won ........
                              All goes to show that with ukuleles size does not matter!

...and 'for a Nosey Parker it's an interesting job' is a classic song line!

12000th posting - I need to get out more!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                All goes to show that with ukuleles size does not matter!

...and 'for a Nosey Parker it's an interesting job' is a classic song line!

12000th posting - I need to get out more!
                                Why not take up the ukulele? Oh, you already have! Well what about cleaning windows then!

Formby's house Beryldene with its blue plaque is just a couple of miles from where I am sitting now. Ooh, mother!
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 24-04-18, 14:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X