X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I think I heard Skellers taking the Michael out of the Squire for having a meltdown at the end of Tuesday's(?) Breakfast after he had cycled back from Vienna ......
    Tuesday (when he nearly called Ian Skelly Rob Cowan, having just had a message from the latter), and yesterday, when Skelly corrected him on the identity of the piece of music to be played following the handover.

The latter led to this exchange:
    Skelly: 'shall I present your programme?'
    Trelawny: 'well, you're presenting everything else, so you might as well!'

All in very good humour, I need hardly add.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
      Tuesday (when he nearly called Ian Skelly Rob Cowan, having just had a message from the latter), and yesterday, when Skelly corrected him on the identity of the piece of music to be played following the handover.

The Squire cycled fro Vienna, Skelly recycled to EssCs!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

I missed those, as I listen to Breakfast in the car and am in work by then. Just listened on iplayer - all in good humour as you add

Comment

• DaisyDog
          • Jun 2016

fiddling with the facts...

I was listening. If he had introduced the pianist as 'Michelangelo', I'm sure I would have noticed. It's possible, I suppose, that he said 'Michelangelo' at another point in the programme (which featured 3 pianists with birthdays today), in which case it was a slip of the tongue. Nobody's perfect.
          Ferneyhough on Breakfast must surely be a first, and nicely preceded by the Tye Dum Transisset from which he drew inspiration.
          As Eric Morecambe once said " Michelangelo was a lousy composer and Vivaldi a terrible sculptor"...

Comment

• peterthekeys
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            An end of the year quiz ..... what would you think was the penultimate piece of music played on Breakfast in 2017. Alkers said they had decided to end with the Peace Piece by Bill Evans - but it was preceded by a great favourite hereabouts ......

Not bloody cowboys....?
            I meant to comment on this at the time, but forgot. According to the presenter, it was the Hoe Down from Copland's ballet Rondo (sic). Admittedly she corrected herself after the item - but she didn't apologise.

How can any R3 presenter (even one presenting the Breakfast show) not have heard of Copland's Rodeo?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
              How can any R3 presenter (even one presenting the Breakfast show) not have heard of Copland's Rodeo?
              Looking at the mistakes that are made, they're of two sorts: the first which are self evidently spontaneous slips, which can be corrected instantaneously in most cases, with or without an apology. And there are those which would never be made by a presenter who knew what he/she was presenting; drawing attention to the mistake by apologising simply acknowledges that ignorance.

Occasionally, something does go wrong in the studio and the presenter carries the can for 'making a mistake'. On the whole we know who wouldn't normally make that kind of mistake and who very well might!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Quite right. Some while later, just before he played the Schumann Arabeske, Pollini - he said Michelangelo. But he definitely got it right, twice, when he was announcing the Brahms earlier
                He was damned good at painting ceilings!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                  I meant to comment on this at the time, but forgot. According to the presenter, it was the Hoe Down from Copland's ballet Rondo (sic). Admittedly she corrected herself after the item - but she didn't apologise.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I have played these dances in a brass band!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Alkers said they had decided to end with the Peace Piece by Bill Evans - but it was preceded by a great favourite hereabouts ......
                      Just read this. Having listened, and yes, she did say "Copland's ballet Rondo", with complete self-assurance, I now put the full blame on Radio 3. If you engage a presenter who normally presents on a completely different radio station (it's presumed because she lives nearer to the Salford studio than any of Radio 3's regulars), it's the kind of mistake that anyone with minimal knowledge of the classical repertoire might make. Even if there had been a typo on the running order, a Radio 3 regular (well, most of them) would spot the mistake and respond accordingly.

But it's been obvious for years that Radio 3 can't find enough suitably qualified/informed presenters for the classical programmes.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        I have played these dances in a brass band!
                        Bad luck!

(So did I in the dim and distant - well, concert band...)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

..... and now the Squire is to be replaced by two ladies ......

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

..... and now the Squire is to be replaced by two ladies ......
                            Fiddly diddly dee!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I quite enjoy this programme. Sets me up for the day. I have had a few requests put in as well, eg handel's Chaconne in G and john Gardner's Tomorrow shall be my dancing Day!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                I quite enjoy this programme. Sets me up for the day. I have had a few requests put in as well, eg handel's Chaconne in G and john Gardner's Tomorrow shall be my dancing Day!

Hiya maestro,

So it's you that is responsible for encouraging this nonsense! I suppose people wanting to hear their names read out on the radio is the television equivalent of standing behind an outside broadcast being made and waving to the camera!

Comment

Working...
                                X