X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    Simpler still would be turning the dial to Radio 4.
    Would if I wanted to listen to R4 - but I don't. And I don't have a dial, until I get round to replacing my audio set-up I have to hold down a switch until the right number comes up, but as quite a lot of the little lights for the digital display are kaput, it's a bit difficult finding the right number. R3 is currently approximately GEN(ie 92.0)
    Yes I know it's all very silly and unnecessary, but as I only listen to R3 and there isn't anyone else in the house it doesn't matter.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Can anyone tell me what an 'embedded composer' is and how it differs from a composer in residence? And does playing said composer's(Matt Kaner) weekly offering every morning achieve anything?
      I did risk my sanity trying to find out about this latest wheeze on the R3 page but was not surprised to find nothing there - or it was so 'embedded' as to be lost to view. Using the search facility came back with 'no results'.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Can anyone tell me what an 'embedded composer' is and how it differs from a composer in residence? And does playing said composer's(Matt Kaner) weekly offering every morning achieve anything?
        I did risk my sanity trying to find out about this latest wheeze on the R3 page but was not surprised to find nothing there - or it was so 'embedded' as to be lost to view. Using the search facility came back with 'no results'.
        I would guess it's just an adoption of digital terminology: tucking one discrete element into some other larger/longer element; like embedding a video into a forum post. Ergo, 'embedded composer' would be tucking a chosen composer's work into, say, Radio 3's routine schedule.

Why the particular composer should have been chosen, I don't know; but no doubt it's all part of the effort to integrate the less 'frightening' contemporary work into R3's regular output. If it leaves Hear & Now free to concentrate on a range of more avant garde work, that programme's listeners will, I think, be well pleased. That's the message I've taken from forum members (and 'passed on') at any rate.

Whether Matt Kaner, alone, makes a good champion for this strategy, I can't say. That would require a value judgement from me which in turn would require further knowledge
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

We are to have 2 weeks without The Squire ..... Clemmers and Skellers will attempt to fill bits of the substantial void ...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            We are to have 2 weeks without The Squire ..... Clemmers and Skellers will attempt to fill bits of the substantial void ...
            So speaks a man who cares about his Breakfast menu! Good morning Anton hope all is well with you.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              So speaks a man who cares about his Breakfast menu! Good morning Anton hope all is well with you.
              Good morning sir - very well thank you .... and we have Alkers tomorrow and Sunday ... do try to appear interested ...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Good morning sir - very well thank you .... and we have Alkers tomorrow and Sunday ... do try to appear interested ...
                Alkers, Alkers...?
                Skellers - Skelly...
                Clemmers - Clemency...
                Alkers - Alky...? Alkybiades..?
                Oh Alkers!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

we have Alkers tomorrow and Sunday ... do try to appear interested ...
                  ... caught a few seconds this morning, I found the sing-song childish voice instantly offputting (i.e. off went live R3). Never been Alkered before and never will be again. Where did they find her? And why?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    ... Where did they find her? And why?
                    In t'northern powerhouse, innit?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      ... caught a few seconds this morning, I found the sing-song childish voice instantly offputting (i.e. off went live R3). Never been Alkered before and never will be again. Where did they find her? And why?
                      Frankly I think we can do without such 'Trumped up' vocal ageist comments here.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

There has been a strategy to introduce 6 Music presenters on Radio 3, and judging by the popularity of Elizabeth Alken among her fans on 6 Music, I assume that there might be an idea that they will pop over to Radio 3 to hear her classical music programme - and stay for other things.

OTOH, it may be that, like Victoria Meakin and the Radio Merseyside and Radio York presenters who have been tried out, it's just that she lives nearer Salford (if she does). As far as I know, the weekend Breakfast programme still comes from Salford. In that case Strategy 1 may be no more than a hoped-for result of Strategy 2, a cash-saving measure.

That said, I have been given the impression that efforts have been made to introduce Radio 3-type content on to 6 Music. Perhaps they could take a couple of R3 presenters too?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• John Lee

I think Ian Skelly is one of their best presenters. I won't say for now who I think is the one I like least

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by John Lee View Post
                            I think Ian Skelly is one of their best presenters. I won't say for now who I think is the one I like least
                            Welcome to the forum, JL. You have unknowingly joined an Ian Skelly Appreciation Society.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                              • Jan 2014

As to Ian Skelly - the week after next, IIRC.
                              I've been wondering about why I object to Ms Alken as a presenter of that programme. (It could be unconscious ('ish) and unfair prejudice). But essentially I think its because I don't believe, for a moment, that she knows much about, or is interested, in presenting classical music on a classical music radio station. So, there is not a scrap of authenticity about what she says on that programme***. Its such a relief to hear Martin Handley, who is such a professional.

(*** Archers (R4, Ambridge) listening family hear - after each programme the continuity announcer makes some cute (witty?) observation on what has just been broadcast. Come on BBC, you evidently really think we are so dumb to think the announcer has been listening, and given latitude to make some remark - as opposed to reading from a script supplied by the producer.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Welcome to the forum, JL. You have unknowingly joined an Ian Skelly Appreciation Society.
                                The Skelly wags?

Comment

Working...
                                X