X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    [...] Before you've settled down to a piece you're on to something completely different. But pieces are getting longer and the 'variety show' feel is lessening [....]
    With respect, Lady Copper , I question whether one 'settles down' to a piece of music while sorting the misaddressed and junk mail from the important items, while boiling the matitudinal egg, or brewing the early cup that cheers.... I confess to being able to hear (say) a Mozart or Schubert symphony, a string quartet (if composed before 1900), a piano work etc with modified attention while doing other things, the 'other' being somehow enhanced by the music. These views might be sacrilege to some; but the satisfaction that attends the broadcast of a complete work as opposed to one rudely severed movement for me is significant. Three to five items per hour would do me quite nicely (although of course the role of the presenter is thereby diminished to virtual continuity announcing - and hurrah for that IMV).

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Sounds like the concluding rounds of My Word - the one that sticks out in my own memory is Frank Muir's "supine Californian mystic exports halitosis".
      That'll be it then, ta.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        With respect, Lady Copper , I question whether one 'settles down' to a piece of music while sorting the misaddressed and junk mail from the important items, while boiling the matitudinal egg, or brewing the early cup that cheers....
        It must depend on one's morning routine, of course. I haven't had a postal delivery before 11am for years. And preparation of my breakfast of muesli and grapes has now become a mechanical exercise, as is the making of the coffee. I do not text, tweet or send emails while eating my breakfast.

I confess to being able to hear (say) a Mozart or Schubert symphony, a string quartet (if composed before 1900), a piano work etc with modified attention while doing other things, the 'other' being somehow enhanced by the music. These views might be sacrilege to some; but the satisfaction that attends the broadcast of a complete work as opposed to one rudely severed movement for me is significant. Three to five items per hour would do me quite nicely (although of course the role of the presenter is thereby diminished to virtual continuity announcing - and hurrah for that IMV).
        And the problem with having the breakfast 8 items per hour is that it gives the presenter twice as many opportunities to introduce a tweet, text, or email from a listener suggesting a piece for the Music Box, or to tell us about a concert in a village hall in Cheshire while the three listeners who are interested and able to attend will be fetching the milk in or letting the cat out and so miss the announcement anyway.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          [...] And the problem with having the breakfast 8 items per hour is that it gives the presenter twice as many opportunities to introduce a tweet, text, or email from a listener suggesting a piece for the Music Box, or to tell us about a concert in a village hall in Cheshire [....]
          There is an obsession with a chat style of presentation, which I've been reminded of by tonight's interval programme, about which I've commented on the appropriate concert thread. This extends from the chattiness of Breakfast to a new(ish) vogue on R3 and BBC4 of two presenters (e.g. for the Alsop Grieg/Rachmaninov Prom 51). Tonight's interval feature would have been more interesting if either of the guests had been invited to give an old style interval talk about Brahms 2. But apparently old style = old fashioned at R3.
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 03-09-16, 22:44. Reason: Adding links

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

There is an obsession with a chat style of presentation, which I've been reminded of by tonight's interval programme, about which I've commented on the appropriate concert thread. This extends from the chattiness of Breakfast to a new(ish) vogue on R3 and BBC4 of two presenters (e.g. for the Alsop Grieg/Rachmaninov Prom 51). Tonight's interval feature would have been more interesting if either of the guests had been invited to give an old style interval talk about Brahms 2. But apparently old style = old fashioned at R3.
            I can see where you're coming from kb! Currently watching the Quincy Jones Prom - greatly enjoying the music. The dual presentation, on the other hand, is excruciating! Especially the presenter not entirely unrelated to the titular theme of this thread.*

OG

*At least there is a facility to fast forward with video only when watching a recording

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Full marks for Breakast and Petroc this morning - 10/10.

The music generally in my direction, small combinations of instruments, early, baroque, latin. None of my prejudices played into, which I won't specify.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                Full marks for Breakast and Petroc this morning - 10/10.

The music generally in my direction, small combinations of instruments, early, baroque, latin. None of my prejudices played into, which I won't specify.
                Agreed, top marks. PT's playlists, particularly of late, show remarkable variety and quality.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  Agreed, top marks. PT's playlists, particularly of late, show remarkable variety and quality.

Yes the boy is IMVVVHO "on fire ...."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Yes the boy is IMVVVHO "on fire ...."
                    Blimey, Breakfast is miles better these days than it used to be!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Blimey, Breakfast is miles better these days than it used to be!
                      Yes...

... depends which week though

OG

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        Yes...

... depends which week though

OG
                        It all went a bit south at 7.33, too

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

It all went a bit south at 7.33, too

What happened Rumpole???? - overnight grandmonster prefers Peppa Pig ......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            What happened Rumpole???? - overnight grandmonster prefers Peppa Pig ......

(It perked up later, it seems, but by then I was catching up with Saturday's Record Review)

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

(It perked up later, it seems, but by then I was catching up with Saturday's Record Review)
                              Bizarre! I clicked on the Current Favourite Jokes thread by mistake for this one

Anyway, if FL is the worst you can come up with on the programme there's nothing to complain about - and glancing through it looks to me like an interesting playlist. Should send the listening figures tumbling Just those single movements …
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

I know it's the dreaded chatter but a couple of days ago the Squire had an interesting discussion with his seven listeners on favourite short novels .... a man of culture indeed ......

Comment

Working...
                                X