X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Must have been pleasant for you, busy in the kitchen this morning, hosing down the dog and poaching Lady Gould's kippers
    Surely if Anton was poaching Lady G's kippers he would have been in Craster poaching Earl Grey's kippers...

... oh, I see what you mean

OG
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 19-02-16, 22:00.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Was it not a cheeky Friday double entendre then?

No?

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Both excellent IMVVHO and the Candide was, as you will be aware, requested by a music teacher and they, as we know, are wonderful people .....
        It's not the quality/excellence that's in question: it's the Classic FM practice of playing well-known pieces very frequently because 'people like to hear their favourites' and - as the controller would say - 'hum along' with them.

If Radio 3 does NOT have a CFM-type 'playlist', as we're assured it does not, how come these pieces turn up so often?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          It's not the quality/excellence that's in question: it's the Classic FM practice of playing well-known pieces very frequently because 'people like to hear their favourites' and - as the controller would say - 'hum along' with them.

If Radio 3 does NOT have a CFM-type 'playlist', as we're assured it does not, how come these pieces turn up so often?
          You think there is a playlist - I don't - rather they play "popular" pieces as it is seen as in part an entry programme. The Candide wasn't, I think, originally planned only along came your friendly neighbourhood music teacher and pushed out Frank Bridge .....

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

You think there is a playlist - I don't - rather they play "popular" pieces as it is seen as in part an entry programme.
            'Popular pieces' are exactly what 'playlists' are. Different means of generating them, perhaps, but essentially it's the pieces down to be played regularly. The fact that it is seen (only in part?) as an 'entry' programme is what makes it uninteresting to those who don't want an entry programme. 6.30am to noon every week day (at least), at the time when most people want to listen to radio, given over to what Roger had worked out was likely to bring in the biggest pool of 'new' listeners - and they were his priority. Not the way to keep the loyal listeners loyal. I'm not the only one who has simply given up because Radio 3 gave up on its remit to be 'different' and not chase ratings with all the techniques of popular radio stations.

The Candide wasn't, I think, originally planned only along came your friendly neighbourhood music teacher and pushed out Frank Bridge .....
            And too good an opportunity to miss?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

The Squire played Holst, George Lloyd and Lennox Berkeley this morning - although the latter was, perhaps, a little spot of self publicity as he and Lennox are on The Essay this evening.
              I don't know if anyone has listened to the series so far - I have quite enjoyed it. However last night George Enescu bowed out quite quickly to make way for the How CBH Is Saving The World Show .....
              Hiya French Frank,

I have thought for some time that the general quality of the performances chosen on Classic FM are superior to those on Radio 3.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Hiya French Frank,

I have thought for some time that the general quality of the performances chosen on Classic FM are superior to those on Radio 3.
                Well a while ago, in the cause of analysis, I listened to an hour or so of CFM Breakfast and reported my findings - the choice of music was IMVVHO dire in the extreme to the extent that the quality of performance seemed unimportant ...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Well a while ago, in the cause of analysis, I listened to an hour or so of CFM Breakfast and reported my findings - the choice of music was IMVVHO dire in the extreme to the extent that the quality of performance seemed unimportant ...
                  It varies, I suppose. I quite accept that you enjoy the programme that I used to listen to (and it was the lightest part of the R3 schedule, even then). It just means they've taken the programme away from me and given it to you And I don't believe you wouldn't have enjoyed it how it was, either.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Wake up Rumpole she is playing your song .....

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

she is playing your song .....
                      Thought that was on Radio 2!

OG

Or perhaps that was the joke...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Eh...? What...? *spills tea on counterpane*
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Elton John gets everywhere!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Eh...? What...? *spills tea on counterpane*
                            A Candle on the Wick?

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

I don't think la clem quite knew which version of the VW Serenade she just played - "that was the Serenade for 16 soloists and ........erm... chorus .."

well I heard the chorus-only version

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                I don't think la clem quite knew which version of the VW Serenade she just played - "that was the Serenade for 16 soloists and ........erm... chorus .."

well I heard the chorus-only version

The confusion remains on the R3 Website. Clearly Clemency never read the berk in the CD case.

Comment

Working...
                                X