X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Unfortunately, the appearance of presenters is given artificial importance by the BBC. Pictures of presenters dominate the Radio 3 website.
    OK, but that is surely no more my fault than it's anyone's that I happen not to have seen these apparently much vaunted assets of KD in which I've clearly indicated that I have no interest anyway, any more than I have in how she fares on SCD (which is not to say that I don't wish her well).

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      What's an iPad?
      Oh, FF, for goodness' sake! "iPad, therefore I am", as you should surely be aware was uttered a very long time ago by a most distinguished French person...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

What's an iPad?
        A big iPhone without the phone.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Oh, FF, for goodness' sake! "iPad, therefore I am"
          Not iPad, therefore iPhone? I do know Lord Gould is the IT expert around these parts.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Scarily, and if this doesn't get me excluded nothing will, in the morning I listen on an iPad and when it goes into screensaver mode the composer appears ...

And yes ff after years of, hopefully friendly, sparring we agree that slowly but surely things are moving in the right direction ....
            At this rate of complacency we'll get there after women manage to get equal pay!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              At this rate of complacency we'll get there after women manage to get equal pay!
              Well, now I've done my computations it seems the fag-packet let me down. It looks like a standard amount of talk (this does include News): 30 minutes out of 150 minutes. And a whopping 9 single movements (about twice as many as the average programme). Longest piece just under 10 minutes (mvt from Beethoven's violin concerto), average length exactly 5 minutes. No change there, then.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Not iPad, therefore iPhone? I do know Lord Gould is the IT expert around these parts.

Hardly .......

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Hardly .......

Well, anyway. I think one reason why the 'music' seemed to be somewhat longer than usual in yesterday's programme is that there were relatively long gaps after each work finished. As, in general, we criticise presenters who leap in a split second after the music finishes, I usually include the pauses with the music as being a broadly welcome feature - and certainly not 'speech' - but I did register that these seemed to be quite long. Take off 90 extra seconds and the actual music clocked in at just under 5 minutes a piece on average.

And not compensated for by 'useful' information (the information that Méhul was the first composer to be called a Romantic - "with a capital R" - was the second sentence in his Wikipedia article: it would be good to hear the occasional illuminating nugget that had been newly mined, but I suppose if you're purportedly addressing people who don't know much at all, rather than the "gatekeepers of some mystical classical high culture" …). Rather too much time spent bonding with listeners.

Just commenting. With some slight bitterness.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Hardly .......
                    Yes anton, not knowing anything really about your IT credentials the evidence of the boards does not place you at the top of the techno geek, nerd or whatever the latest terminology is, list. Don't sulk - it could be a compliment. However when it comes to sorting out errant Monkeys....

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

And not compensated for by 'useful' information (the information that Méhul was the first composer to be called a Romantic - "with a capital R" - was the second sentence in his Wikipedia article: it would be good to hear the occasional illuminating nugget that had been newly mined, but I suppose if you're purportedly addressing people who don't know much at all,
                      It would appear that I shall have to put myself into that category then, although I say in my defence I'm not much interested in the Romantics, so perhaps that's why. Then again perhaps it hasn't been repeated quite often enough for me to remember it, unlike some of the music...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        It would appear that I shall have to put myself into that category then, although I say in my defence I'm not much interested in the Romantics, so perhaps that's why. Then again perhaps it hasn't been repeated quite often enough for me to remember it, unlike some of the music...
                        That wasn't my point: I didn't know he was the first composer to be called a "Romantic" either. The point was that I am so suspicious of that presenter's knowledge of the classical repertoire in general (because of some fairly basic errors that have been made) that I whizzed straight over to Wikipedia to find that the factoid appeared in ll 2-3 of his Wikipedia entry. So the 'authoritative' voice of Radio 3 these days, the vaunted 'trusted guide' can be nothing more than the voice of Wikipedia, researched because a piece was coming up by Méhul, about whom something needed to be said.

One of the reasons why Breakfast is so shallow is that it has too many short pieces over two and a half hours with no very coherent connection between any of them. Any presenter would be taxed to find something to say about pieces ranging from Dufay to Gershwin off the top of their heads, but the quantity of 'information' that has to be found for each day means people go to the quickest source - on yer Wikipedia.

It's not to be disputed that many listeners will be perfectly happy with that, day in, day out: the point is, we've all got to be happy with it - because that's all we're going to get. That's what people mean by saying this portion of the day is no better than Classic FM. Radio 3 should be better - and that means objectively 'better' not just the preferred station of people who are escaping CFM's adverts.

There does seem to be an immutable law that the Breakfast programme must now have 22-24 pieces averaging 5 minutes per piece. Like Classic FM.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

There does seem to be an immutable law that the Breakfast programme must now have 22-24 pieces averaging 5 minutes per piece. Like Classic FM.
                          Copying the in-crowd is rather pathetic, isn't it?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

That wasn't my point: I didn't know he was the first composer to be called a "Romantic" either. The point was that I am so suspicious of that presenter's knowledge of the classical repertoire in general (because of some fairly basic errors that have been made) that I whizzed straight over to Wikipedia to find that the factoid appeared in ll 2-3 of his Wikipedia entry. So the 'authoritative' voice of Radio 3 these days, the vaunted 'trusted guide' can be nothing more than the voice of Wikipedia, researched because a piece was coming up by Méhul, about whom something needed to be said.

One of the reasons why Breakfast is so shallow is that it has too many short pieces over two and a half hours with no very coherent connection between any of them. Any presenter would be taxed to find something to say about pieces ranging from Dufay to Gershwin off the top of their heads, but the quantity of 'information' that has to be found for each day means people go to the quickest source - on yer Wikipedia.

It's not to be disputed that many listeners will be perfectly happy with that, day in, day out: the point is, we've all got to be happy with it - because that's all we're going to get. That's what people mean by saying this portion of the day is no better than Classic FM. Radio 3 should be better - and that means objectively 'better' not just the preferred station of people who are escaping CFM's adverts.

When what we should be getting is five pieces averaging 22-24 minutes!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              When what we should be getting is five pieces averaging 22-24 minutes!
                              I'm sure you would like that, but realistically I'd probably just up the average to about 10 minutes; 10-12 pieces being a mix of longer pieces and shorter. So 5-6 could be more substantial and the rest 'fillers'. Presenters could spend twice the amount of time 'researching' each piece - and use Grove rather than Wikipedia (which should be used only to check quick facts like dates, titles, names). There might even be time to check pronunciations on forvo.com :-)

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

S
                                ........ That's what people mean by saying this portion of the day is no better than Classic FM. Radio 3 should be better -
                                I would say it is far better - does anyone here listen to CFM Breakfast??
                                I thought, as one of ff's accredited stat' gatherers, I'd do a number on this morning's show but looking at the playlist I couldn't face it

29 Pieces in 3 hours including - and I jest not -

Sleeping Beauty Waltz
                                Danse Macabre
                                4 Seasons - Winter
                                Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
                                Downton Abbey Suite
                                Westminster Waltz
                                Barber of Seville Overture
                                Schindler's List Theme
                                Acceleration Waltz
                                Fanfare for the Common Man
                                633 Squadron
                                Ave Maria
                                Handel's Water Music

Alright Tree Lawn played a Beatles thing this morning but believe me his show was high culture compared to this .....

One for ferney should he stray this way - when I put classic into my Google its recommendations started with

Classic Pizza - Spennymoor .......

Comment

Working...
                                X