X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
    Don't hold your breath. I get the distinct impression that there are plenty out there who are quite happy to play along with Rob and his puerile games - judging by the apparent responses he receives. I so long for the day when Breakfast returns to being a sensible programme suitable for the serious music lover, and with far less spoken content.

But I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
    Hiya alycidon,

I so agree with you wholeheartedly.

Playing serious music backwards, I never thought it would get any worse. Then one of the actresses that presents on R3 and is on a BBC dancing show is happy to talk about sequins, with a child-like glee, and allow her great legs to be discussed all at the expense of playing music.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Then one of the actresses that presents on R3 and is on a BBC dancing show is happy to talk about sequins, with a child-like glee, and allow her great legs to be discussed all at the expense of playing music.
      I'll add my voice to the others shouting into the wilderness - but to whom do you refer here, Stanf? CB-H is the only "actress" who "presents on R3" - and she isn't "on a BBC dancing show" (yet). KD is "on a BBC dancing show", but she isn't (and has never been) an actress - I would add "other than playing the part of a R3 announcer", but we're not supposed to be personal (hence the use of initials). And she's never presented Breakfast AFAIA.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I'll add my voice to the others shouting into the wilderness - but to whom do you refer here, Stanf? CB-H is the only "actress" who "presents on R3" - and she isn't "on a BBC dancing show" (yet). KD is "on a BBC dancing show", but she isn't (and has never been) an actress - I would add "other than playing the part of a R3 announcer", but we're not supposed to be personal (hence the use of initials). And she's never presented Breakfast AFAIA.
        I am refering to KD; as you well know. All presenters on television are actors in my book. When KD is presenting mark my words she is acting too.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

And she's never presented Breakfast AFAIA.
          I think we may be on to something big here, ferney. Now, according to her BBC profile, she is 'a presenter on BBC Radio 3’s Afternoon on 3 and Breakfast programmes'.

So, if she is a Breakfast presenter, which one is she??? Eh!?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

When reading Stanfordian's post I did assume that his use of the term "actress" was as he subsequently confirmed it to be. Sequins? Did the presenter concerned mean "sequence" as it is understood in music? And legs? Maybe she was referring to col legno (and, who knows, maybe that's how she'd pronounce the term, even though, like CB-H, she once played the violin). But no, I was likewise unaware that she'd ever presented Breakfast but, as it seems that she has on occasion done so, I've little doubt that her presentation "style" would have served only to exacerbate that programme's widespread reputation as muesli with music added...

On that "BBC dancing show", incidentally, the presenter in question has evidently been referred to several times as "BBC Proms presenter (KD)". Now the Proms occupies less than two months of the year and, mercifully, she's only one of a number of BBC Proms presenters. Given that the majority of the SCD audience wouldn't likely give a fig about the Proms and some might not even have heard of them, isn't such a description rather silly in a programme that, on a par with Breakfast, might be regarded as audience hysteria with dance added? What Darcey Bussell's doing on it year in year out I have no idea; does she really need the money that badly? She's the one who really does know what she's talking about, but one wonders to what extent that really matters to much of the programme's audience...
            Last edited by ahinton; 11-10-15, 22:33.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I think we may be on to something big here, ferney. Now, according to her BBC profile, she is 'a presenter on BBC Radio 3’s Afternoon on 3 and Breakfast programmes'.

So, if she is a Breakfast presenter, which one is she??? Eh!?

My money's on Petroc.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                I am refering to KD; as you well know. All presenters on television are actors in my book. When KD is presenting mark my words she is acting too.
                What's happened to "Hiya, ferney"?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Hiya, ferney

My money's on Petroc.
                  No, I think KD is Clemency's mother, and they have a job share, one baby-sitting, the other presenting Breakfast.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Hiya, ferney

No, I think KD is Clemency's mother, and they have a job share, one baby-sitting, the other presenting Breakfast.
                    Ah, its "take your daughters to work".

Not so very far from the truth, perhaps.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Hiya, ferney

Now - making derisory comments about KD's presenting style and her extra-mural activities is already frowned upon: but suggesting that she and Humphrey Burton had ... were ...

Comment

• alycidon
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        I think the situation here is that as long as some of the presenters continue to demean themselves (and Radio 3) there will be those desperately insecure individuals who will accept any old rubbish if it enables them to hear their names read out on air.
                        I think that you have hit the nail on the head there, EA, and it makes you wonder if they listen to Breakfast for that reason alone. But why do people want to hear their names on air - probably for the same reason that stupid people stand looking gormless on all the daft game shows on TV. Personally, I can't think of anything more demeaning then having my name or my person being promulgated on national TV or radio. But I have never possessed an exalted opinion of myself, so that is probably the reason.
                        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Crumbs this thread has been lively since I posted before dawn yesterday...! Must try and do some reading, and catch up!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I think that you have hit the nail on the head there, EA, and it makes you wonder if they listen to Breakfast for that reason alone. But why do people want to hear their names on air - probably for the same reason that stupid people stand looking gormless on all the daft game shows on TV. Personally, I can't think of anything more demeaning then having my name or my person being promulgated on national TV or radio. But I have never possessed an exalted opinion of myself, so that is probably the reason.
                            It should, perhaps, be pointed out that at least 2 regular posters hereabouts have had there names read out on Breakfast when they requested fine pieces of music. I am certain neither had the motivation you imply ....

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

I was invited to introduce a piece of music that I had suggested on " Breakfast" last year. i certainly wasn't desperate to have my name read out, or in fact to introduce the piece live at all. i agreed to go on in part because I thought it might be a bit churlish, having suggested the piece, to refuse to appear, ( although I was offered the option not to appear of course)and I thought it would be an interesting and informative experience which it was. I have to tell you that I was extremely nervous beforehand !

peoples motives for doing these things are varied , I would suggest,as varied as the personalities of those taking part.

And as an aside, I do happen to think that R3 and other monolithic organisations do need to interact with,and take note of their viewers opinions. Whether phone ins,or inviting listeners on to introduce pieces that they have suggested , is an effective way to do thiis ,is another matter.

EDIT :OR ...I could just have waited for the excellent AG to post and saved myself the bother.
                              ( who is the other person AG?!)
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

You didn't get my joke, french frank. That's OK. That explains your careless, if not offensive, response.

Comment

Working...
                                X