• Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    or audible?

(Shhhhh)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

This one's for antongould.... Morning, anton!!

A great advantage (among very few) of getting up at 5am for a 6am departure, is that one misses R3 "Breakfast".

Another is that the morning coffee was enlivened by a live transmission on KUSC of the LA Phil under Dudamel in Beethoven 6 from the City of Angels
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

E
        Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        This one's for antongould.... Morning, anton!!

A great advantage (among very few) of getting up at 5am for a 6am departure, is that one misses R3 "Breakfast".

Another is that the morning coffee was enlivened by a live transmission on KUSC of the LA Phil under Dudamel in Beethoven 6 from the City of Angels
        Morning Rumpole - there are many advantages of early rising, not least of course Breakfast on R3. Not sure who is on this morning with the late start, but it is sure to be a joy as always ...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          E

Morning Rumpole - there are many advantages of early rising, not least of course Breakfast on R3. Not sure who is on this morning with the late start, but it is sure to be a joy as always ...

You don't look very happy in that picture, Anton - too early in the morning, perhaps!

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            [COLOR="#0000FF"]This one's for antongould.... Morning, anton!!
            One would have to get up very early in the morning to catch you out Caliban, and anton did!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              One would have to get up very early in the morning to catch you out Caliban, and anton did!
              Just goes to show that if Radio 3 serves up daily some slightly charred Mother's Pride spread with I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter and a cup of milky lukewarm Nescaff, the more discriminating will seek their morning sustenance elsewhere. No argument that some will be grateful for anything R3 serves up

When braver souls than me report that the breakfast menu has improved, I'll be delighted to sample it again.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Just goes to show that if Radio 3 serves up daily some slightly charred Mother's Pride spread with I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter and a cup of milky lukewarm Nescaff, the more discriminating will seek their morning sustenance elsewhere. No argument that some will be grateful for anything R3 serves up

When braver souls than me report that the breakfast menu has improved, I'll be delighted to sample it again.
                Well said! (even though in order to say it you had to portray so disgusting a "breakfast"!).

Yes, should anyone ever discover that the programme contents have become the aural equivalent of freshly squeezed chilled organic orange juice croissants made with Échiré and the finest ground coffee, I share your hope that we'll be told!...

Comment

• alycidon
                  • Feb 2013

Don't hold your breath. I get the distinct impression that there are plenty out there who are quite happy to play along with Rob and his puerile games - judging by the apparent responses he receives. I so long for the day when Breakfast returns to being a sensible programme suitable for the serious music lover, and with far less spoken content.

But I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
                  Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                    Don't hold your breath. I get the distinct impression that there are plenty out there who are quite happy to play along with Rob and his puerile games - judging by the apparent responses he receives. I so long for the day when Breakfast returns to being a sensible programme suitable for the serious music lover, and with far less spoken content.

But I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
                    But you are not one!

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

I must say, f f, that I'm puzzled by this response to what I thought was a joke on my part. Perhaps you are joking too?

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

I must say, f f, that I'm puzzled by this response to what I thought was a joke on my part. Perhaps you are joking too?
                        .... and quite a good joke too I thought Padraig - ff I presume you now have enough data to decide whether or not Breakfast has improved??

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Well, it was as much a response to Lord Gould's description, in his exchange with Caliban, of his own Breakfast as a 'joy'

LordG - I have enough data to suggest the real source of irritation continues: the inanities which punctuate the puzzlingly incoherent pot-pourri of musical scraps.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Well, it was as much a response to Lord Gould's description, in his exchange with Caliban, of his own Breakfast as a 'joy'

LordG - I have enough data to suggest the real source of irritation continues: the inanities which punctuate the puzzlingly incoherent pot-pourri of musical scraps.
                            So in your view no change?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                              I get the distinct impression that there are plenty out there who are quite happy to play along with Rob and his puerile games - judging by the apparent responses he receives. I so long for the day when Breakfast returns to being a sensible programme suitable for the serious music lover, and with far less spoken content.
                              I think the situation here is that as long as some of the presenters continue to demean themselves (and Radio 3) there will be those desperately insecure individuals who will accept any old rubbish if it enables them to hear their names read out on air.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                So in your view no change?
                                There were the immediate changes - the phone-ins swept away, and the reduction in the regular news headlines, so those didn't show up as 'changes' because they'd already gone first time round.

The pieces of music do seem to be fractionally longer: I would argue against the regular inclusion of a number of works in each programme lasting less than 4 minutes. That's less than the average pop song. There may be a case for giving Mozart's Das Donnerwetter an occasional airing, but there seems little logic to having many short pieces just to that those who have little time to listen have the impression of hearing a lot of bits of music.

If anything the amount of inter-music speech increased from when I first started monitoring a while back. It's edged up to 22%-23% of the programme which is pretty close to the 25% which the BBC Trust found for Classic FM (Breakfast used to be 20% speech, about 30 mins in 150 mins). I'm pretty sure the BBC has a diktat about including 'interactivity' - it's the public service .

Comment

Working...
                                X