X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I switch on the radio this morning and tuned into Breakfast. I do this from time to time, in the hope of seeing a glimmer of improvement. If anything, what I heard was as bad as the worst we've had:

1. Constant reading out of texts and tweets that can be of little or no interest to those who didn't actually send them
    2. A complete inability to speak in sentences, running one snippet of words into another (unrelated) set, without any kind of spoken punctuation.
    3. Chummy and cliquey Petroc/Rob banter at the changeover.

Inconsiderate, ill-mannered and reminiscent of the worst of our trashy commercial radio station - Yorkshire Coast Radio.

Comment

• Don Petter

An heroic effort, EA. You have suffered for us all.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I switch on the radio this morning and tuned into Breakfast. I do this from time to time, in the hope of seeing a glimmer of improvement. If anything, what I heard was as bad as the worst we've had:
        I usually tune to news programmes in the early morning and only retreat to R3 when I get fed up with John Humphries interrupting interviewees and Five Live becomes too tabloid. As with you, any glimmer of hope is quickly extinguished. I can get World Service on the bedroom DAB and this often a good alternative.

Comment

• alycidon
          • Feb 2013

A couple of days ago I switched on and immediately thought that my radio was malfunctioning. Fortunately, I didn't rush to re-tune it which was just as well because a few minutes later I realised that it was RC playing one of his puerile little games. And this is what R3 has come to, and it is tragic.

And who are all these morons who tweet, phone, and e-mail? They just encourage this rubbish.
          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
            A couple of days ago I switched on and immediately thought that my radio was malfunctioning. Fortunately, I didn't rush to re-tune it which was just as well because a few minutes later I realised that it was RC playing one of his puerile little games. And this is what R3 has come to, and it is tragic.

And who are all these morons who tweet, phone, and e-mail? They just encourage this rubbish.
            Sounds a bit harsh but very true....

Comment

• budscott

World service is good. Radio 4 extra often good (Hancock, Goons, NT of Brent and now Victor Lewis-Smiith!). To think of all those who gave their lives to make BBC radio. Hmm, all being thrown away for tweets, emails and phone. If I want to hear the man-in-the-street I can jolly well go out and talk to him/her myself! (not that I do - want that is)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by budscott View Post
                World service is good. Radio 4 extra often good (Hancock, Goons, NT of Brent and now Victor Lewis-Smiith!). To think of all those who gave their lives to make BBC radio. Hmm, all being thrown away for tweets, emails and phone. If I want to hear the man-in-the-street I can jolly well go out and talk to him/her myself! (not that I do - want that is)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by budscott View Post
                  Second Alpie's and raise it with a

(I'd add to the 4extra rôle of honour: the complete 'Round the Horne' / 'Stop Messin' About', the Wimsey and Paul Temple series, the Wodehouse dramatisations (Hordern as Jeeves ), Ed Reardon...

The increasing tendency torwards cheap 'vox pop' padding is I think the poison of modern media (I suspect I'm not the only person who thinks that C4's "Gogglebox" is among the worst things on tv - though sometimes it seems I am).
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    (I suspect I'm not the only person who thinks that C4's "Gogglebox" is among the worst things on tv - though sometimes it seems I am).
                    No, there are at least two of us :thumbs down emoticon:

OG

Comment

• budscott

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      (I suspect I'm not the only person who thinks that C4's "Gogglebox" is among the worst things on tv - though sometimes it seems I am).
                      It was good at the beginning (the posh guy falling behind the sofa drunk!) but the novelty's worn off.

Comment

• worlingworth1

Just love this thread its a perfect mix of pedantry corner meets Ed Reardon with a side serving of Victor Meldrew and a garnish of grumpy old men/women please keep going. It reminds me of a lunch once, sitting next to a group old colonial types bemoaning the fact that Nyasaland isn't what it use to be.
                        cheers me up most weeks !!!!!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post
                          Just love this thread its a perfect mix of pedantry corner meets Ed Reardon with a side serving of Victor Meldrew and a garnish of grumpy old men/women please keep going. It reminds me of a lunch once, sitting next to a group old colonial types bemoaning the fact that Nyasaland isn't what it use to be.
                          cheers me up most weeks !!!!!
                          Hrrrmph! Do we know you?

(Not really. Welcome to the luncheon club.)

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            Hrrrmph! Do we know you?

(Not really. Welcome to the luncheon club.)
                            Been coming since November 2014 apparently!

I SAID...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

We'll go for a walk later.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... your friends are coming for you later.

Comment

Working...
                                X