Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

Yes that faux 'of the people' is a bit 6th form. Innit. "...and on yer bike"

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Brief look at Wedneday's prog shows that the amount of chat to music has slightly increased. I made it 33 minutes out of 150 minutes, rather than 30 minutes which it's been on every other occasion I've checked. The main culprit was that there were 24 pieces (not 23 as I said - Schubert symph movt was omitted). Apart from the odd segue, every time the music stops there is a necessity/opportunity for the presenter to read out something - on this occasion not excluding Wikipedia.

The music was overwhelmingly 19th-early 20th c.

Baroque: JSBach, M Cazzati, Porpora
      Classical: Schubert, Haydn, Mozart
      Born 1st half 19th c: Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Chabrier, Dvořák
      Born 2nd half 19th c: Wolf, Albéniz, Debussy, Nielsen, Beach, Kreisler, Falla, WD Browne, Weinberger, Gershwin
      Born 20th: Tippett, Wirén, Glass

From formal works in movements (symphony, concerto &c) 4 single movements: Schumann (PQuin), Glass (SQ), Haydn and Schubert (symphs)

Longest: Bach 9'31" Shortest: Beach 1'22" Av, c 4'50"

Five trails/BBC announcements: CotW (DM), InTu (SK on King Crimson), Essay (on Orson Welles), BBC Music (Young Chorister, YMotY) all before the news/weather break; and EssCl 15 mins before its start (SW, guest Michel Roux but not sure that he was mentioned. Spooky music).

The 5 listener requests, emails, resulted in: Schwanda the Bagpiper, WD Browne 2 Dances, Tippett spiritual from AChooT (plugging amateur concert in Leamington Spa), Gershwin AnAminPar (listener reminiscence), Chopin Waltz (birthday request).

[Emphasis on dance was for IntDanceDay: Schwanda the Bagpiper has entered the Breakfast Music Box as 'Music to Dance to].
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Velvet Munchkin

My first post. I loathe Breakfast. I hate patronising silly girl voices iike 'Clemmie' BH. I can't bear phone-in's, excessive trailers, being told I'm listening 'online and on digital' blah-blah. The whole thing is MORONIC. I'd have liked to spend a bit more time writing something classier but I'm too cross.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Velvet Munchkin View Post
          My first post. I loathe Breakfast. I hate patronising silly girl voices iike 'Clemmie' BH. I can't bear phone-in's, excessive trailers, being told I'm listening 'online and on digital' blah-blah. The whole thing is MORONIC. I'd have liked to spend a bit more time writing something classier but I'm too cross.
          Welcome VM , and join the club "enjoying" breakfast

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

Hmm! Not bad for a first post, and bang on the nail too! And amen to all you say.
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

let us not exaggerate. The "phone-ins" (one 60-second call per day) have finished.

Comment

• Black Swan

No apologies, necessary. I couldn't agree with you more...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Velvet Munchkin,

Amen to all that. The programme that follows during the week is toe-cringing at times. For example Sarah Walker is out of her depth especially when she is talking with those celebrities.
                  Last edited by Stanfordian; 04-05-15, 11:55.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    The programme that follows oduring the week is toe-cringing at times.
                    Well chosen words, almost right.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Welcome to the forum, VM. I agree with all of your posts so far.

Comment

• Velvet Munchkin

Thank you for my welcome. I increasingly resort to streaming Through the Night or anything presented by Donald Macleod rather than have that vacuous voice (CBH) penetrate the inner ear at the start of the day. I can’t pin-point just why she’s so utterly nauseous. Such a confected, pasteurised delivery and hard to listen to because she’s so often emoting. Those little inflexions of ‘feeling’ in her sentences. (Petroc whats-his-face isn’t a great deal better.) If I do mistakenly stray onto CBH-PT ‘Breakfast' I always experience a prompter and fuller-than-normal early-am bowel movement. The point, for me, there’s nowhere else to go, radio-wise.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

The point, for me, there’s nowhere else to go, radio-wise.
                          ...which is why the BBC should stop trying to copy CFM.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            let us not exaggerate. The "phone-ins" (one 60-second call per day) have finished.
                            Some good sense shown by M. le Directeur there. But let's not underestimate the irritant value of one 45-second phone-in: when it's on, it's on [or was, in this case]. Damage is done very quickly (or, of course, not at all in the case of less sentient beings ).
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Lots of chat today and poetry and even people under 25 who I'm not sure we like.......

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Lots of chat today and poetry and even people under 25 who I'm not sure we like.......
                                Interesting idea. I'm not sure that the programmes-as-usual Days really work. The idea begins to take over from the programme and it can all seem a bit forced. Probably trying to cram too much in - in order to fill the whole day?

Comment

Working...
                                X