• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    There seems to be a common tendency to regard the 5 and a half hours in the morning as a single programme so with a thread for each of them there's a bit of confusion on both.
    The frantic chummy handover is an indication that the BBC would like it all to be one programme. However, I look forward to the day soon when Clemmie's successor hand over to Rob's successor, and the first item is not yet another polka harmonised by the 3-chord trick, but something atonal. That would wake people up!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      The frantic chummy handover is an indication that the BBC would like it all to be one programme.
      The EC commissioning brief did say it was to 'hold on to as much of the Breakfast audience as possible'. And that the Breakfast programme was a 'primary entry point for new listeners'. Oh, and EC was to attract Radio 4 listeners who had been listening to the Today programme up to 9am.

It didn't say anything about serving the audience that had been loyal to the station for so many years - no wonder they're not pleased.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

The frantic chummy handover is an indication that the BBC would like it all to be one programme. However, I look forward to the day soon when Clemmie's successor hand over to Rob's successor, and the first item is not yet another polka harmonised by the 3-chord trick, but something atonal. That would wake people up!

not necessarily......

vidinfo.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, vidinfo.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

The EC commissioning brief did say it was to 'hold on to as much of the Breakfast audience as possible'
          Imagine that statement with the word "audience" removed!...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

The EC commissioning brief did say it was to 'hold on to as much of the Breakfast audience as possible'.
            So they want to ensure they have an audience with the attention snap of a goldfish for the entire day?

Comment

• budscott

Well I gave the new no-phonein BS (that's the right acronym for sure!) a go. I lasted less than 10 minutes. Most of that 10 minutes was about what's coming up, emails, etc. rather than music. Back to Rock Around the Baroque for me!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

That's part of the problem. Verbal piffle is more important than music.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

That's part of the problem. Verbal piffle is more important than music.
                  I note that there were 23(?) pieces this morning. The 'informative' introductions, necessarily shortened by the large number of pieces that have to be played, has an even less important role when there is additionally so much 'non informative information' that takes up valuable time.

I will have to do a new analysis, but if the programme still gives 30 mins (20%) of the time to speech, the music items average 5 mins each: when they veer between Porpora and George Gershwin it's hard to see who the programme appeals to.

[Does the Weinberger have to be Schwanda the Bagpiper and the Gershwin frequently An American in Paris, in a different arrangement?]
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

I popped in to the BS for the first time in a while just to see if anything had changed.
                    Phone-in gone.
                    Otherwise it was all exactly the same plus the "dance" theme which would appear to cover any old piece of music that could remotely be associated with dance or have dance in the title. All to be put into the "dance box" where listeners can retrieve it at any time and create their own play list. Do you think anyone actually does that? Is the 365 days of British music still available for recall through the BBC website? I wouldn't have a clue and perhaps more to the point, I couldn't care less.
                    Ruslan and Ludmilla
                    Dance of the Seven Veils
                    a little bit of jazz ('cos it's Jazz Day. Niiiiice. Coooool. )
                    Waffle, waffle, tenuous links to other programmes during the day: "Here's XXX XXX playing Chopin. His wife is XXX and she will be on Suzy Klein's show ...."
                    "And here's Sarah Walker in a lovely blue dress to tell us what's on EC".
                    Click. Off.
                    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                      I popped in to the BS for the first time in a while just to see if anything had changed.
                      Phone-in gone.
                      Otherwise it was all exactly the same plus the "dance" theme which would appear to cover any old piece of music that could remotely be associated with dance or have dance in the title. All to be put into the "dance box" where listeners can retrieve it at any time and create their own play list. Do you think anyone actually does that? Is the 365 days of British music still available for recall through the BBC website? I wouldn't have a clue and perhaps more to the point, I couldn't care less.
                      Ruslan and Ludmilla
                      Dance of the Seven Veils
                      a little bit of jazz ('cos it's Jazz Day. Niiiiice. Coooool. )
                      Waffle, waffle, tenuous links to other programmes during the day: "Here's XXX XXX playing Chopin. His wife is XXX and she will be on Suzy Klein's show ...."
                      "And here's Sarah Walker in a lovely blue dress to tell us what's on EC".
                      Click. Off.
                      I know it's not the Breakfast Programme but this morning on Essential Classics Sarah Walker said to her celebrity guest the chef Michel Roux Jr that "pasta was a great invention". I've heard it all now!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        I know it's not the Breakfast Programme but this morning on Essential Classics Sarah Walker said to her celebrity guest the chef Michel Roux Jr that "pasta was a great invention". I've heard it all now!
                        Inscrutable as ever, eh? (Durum roll)

[Damn fine cook is Doc Walker herself, I'll have you know.]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Inscrutable as ever, eh? (Durum roll)
                          Curse you! I was going to ask Stanf if he was sure it wasn't Katie Durum!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I was going to ask Stanf if he was sure it wasn't Katie Durum!
                            That's the winner!* Genius!

* In fact, you win the trofie
                            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 30-04-15, 12:53. Reason: pasta-based afterthought
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              Was that before or after she referred to the famous Russian author as 'Goggle'?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                Was that before or after she referred to the famous Russian author as 'Goggle'?
                                What, as is Gogol?

Comment

Working...
                                X