The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

I caught the end of the Portuguese Renaissance song and the sign off today. Tchaikovsky's 5th and Brahms VC next time - and all before/during breakfast Wonder which bits.

Comment

• Black Swan

I am having a good saturday. The only breakfast i've had was my eggs and bacon. When I woke I turned on R3 and heard the dulcet tones of the presenter and hit the off button immediately.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
        .... heard the dulcet tones of the presenter and hit the off button immediately.
        0759: '...a piece of Handel that blew one of our listeners' minds.'

Comment

• James Wonnacott
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
          Have any of you considered using the iPlayer to play 'Through the Night'
          Yes, I do this every workday and have done for 4 or 5 years now. JS's strange up and down voice gets a bit irritating from time to time but mostly the music is good.
          I do still listen to R3 at weekends from 7ish. usually until some boring idiot comes on the line to tell us his life history, then it's ipod plugged into the Bose.
          Last edited by James Wonnacott; 24-08-14, 08:40. Reason: typo
          I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• clive heath

0803-ish, trail for Eric Coates ( one of the first pieces of sheet music I ever bought and learned to play was the Dambuster's March") , had previously been thinking "The reason they can't play more than one movement is because everyone would think the queen had died" so, guess what? we had all three movements of Eric Coates "Three Elizabeths Suite" Mental collapse of stout party.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              0759: '...a piece of Handel that blew one of our listeners' minds.'
              I always keep a spare handy for just this sort of eventuality. Don't you Kernel?
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Playlist for today is up - no performers included for any of them, though one can infer the performer of the Handel (presuming it to have been arranged for the trumpet ...).

One doesn't know quite what to think about so many of the Breakfast listeners having had their minds blown, though it might explain how they can put up with the tedium of being told, day after day, that Andrew Motion wrote about his mindblowing experience of reading a volume of Seamus Heaney's poetry and therefore we're discussing the mindblowing music that Radio 3 listeners have heard and playing some of their suggestions of mindblowing music that turned them on to classical music ... [there follow several examples of which one or none is then played]. I suppose the combination of it being busy breakfast time and minds blown by once hearing the Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune enables them to deal with the repetition.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  a volume of Seamus Heaney's poetry
                  ff, I have a spare copy of the Spirit Level.
                  You know me of old, and if you, or anyone who has not already got that volume, could let me know I shall pass it on as a gift in my usual way.
                  I mislaid my original copy and it made a handy Christmas present last year for someone who couldn't think of anything.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    ff, I have a spare copy of the Spirit Level.
                    You know me of old, and if you, or anyone who has not already got that volume, could let me know I shall pass it on as a gift in my usual way.
                    I mislaid my original copy and it made a handy Christmas present last year for someone who couldn't think of anything.
                    Padraig, that's very kind. You have my address and I don't have yours, so if you will remedy my lack - please - I would love to 'take it off your hands' :-).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I would love to 'take it off your hands'
                      No sooner said, ff, than...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                        No sooner said, ff, than...

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

funny hearing that Gounod marionette thing - it's so associated in my mind with the Hitchcock TV show that I feel it must have been written in the 1950's

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            funny hearing that Gounod marionette thing - it's so associated in my mind with the Hitchcock TV show that I feel it must have been written in the 1950's
                            It was on TtN recently in its original pedal-piano version (1872!), but I got a similar reaction

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              I've liked that work ever since hearing the Gibson version on LP in the 60s - now on a Eloquence CD!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Anyone have any thoughts on today's Breakfast: works by Adès, Harvey and Berio? (No, not a joke.) Is there a Trust review of Radio 3 due or something? Or is it that the station is briefly under new [acting] management?

Comment

Working...
                                X