• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    A useful distinction. But the brief would surely not be 'Don't present intelligently', but 'Present at the level of chat'. The sort of discourse one might have with a neighbour, however intelligent, while waiting for an early morning bus, maybe.
    The conclusion being that your neighbour will not want to get involved in an intelligent discourse while waiting for the bus?
    (EDIT: And of course Radios 1 & 2 have delivered big audiences in return for this formula.)
    As do ALL popular music stations, at least in the UK. On Rickie, Melvin and Charlie yesterday I learned that the most expensive football-related registration plate is WE57HAM ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Radio64
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      The conclusion being that your neighbour will not want to get involved in an intelligent discourse while waiting for the bus?
      I think "early morning" is a key qualifier in the original statement....
      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
        I think "early morning" is a key qualifier in the original statement....
        - at that time, I don't particularly want any kind of "discourse" (and especially not from someone so unforgivably chirpy at that time): I just want the ryddu bus to arrive!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - at that time, I don't particularly want any kind of "discourse" (and especially not from someone so unforgivably chirpy at that time): I just want the ryddu bus to arrive!
          And no one ever suggested that there should be 'early morning discourse' on Breakfast (though weren't Open University broadcasts once on between 6am and 7am - or am I inventing that?). But the difference between chatter and music-related comments is ... immense. But some sort of news headlines, press or radio, every 15 minutes will lure even the most focused presenter into making the odd aside, which is fine.

Meanwhile, this morning's candidate for consideration by the Society for the Promotion of Correct Pronunciation on Radio 3:

Marc-André Hamelin, as in 'Hamelin town's in Brunswick, By famous Hanover city'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Marc-André Hamelin, as in 'Hamelin town's in Brunswick, By famous Hanover city'.
            Under the circumstances, not the best example. Hamelin in Germany is spelt (and pronounced "Hameln"

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Under the circumstances, not the best example. Hamelin in Germany is spelt (and pronounced "Hameln"
              I was indicating that it was pronounced this morning as in Browning's poem: M-A H is Québecois, not German.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

The conclusion being that your neighbour will not want to get involved in an intelligent discourse while waiting for the bus?[....]
                That's my contention: even if I'd had a lively discussion about Baroque music with this neighbour last time I'd seen him, I think some occasions suggest chat rather than serious talk.

I'm not making a grand point here, but I wonder if this is how the suits think about the 'tone' essential for drive-time programming.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  but I wonder if this is how the suits think about the 'tone' essential for drive-time programming.
                  That appears to be indisputable. But factually, it divides listeners into those who like it and those who don't. If a 'majority' likes the chat, is it just a matter of 'the majority wins'? Or are there other considerations?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

I was indicating that it was pronounced this morning as in Browning's poem: M-A H is Québecois, not German.

... I'm pretty sure that M. Hamelin 'as said zat 'e prefers 'iz name to be pronounced wit' han Haitch. As in Browning's "Hamelin"...

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      ..and Hanover is spelt with a double 'n' ...

Her quotation is from the poem The Pied Piper of Hamelin ... I know, I was narrator at a school play of said poem. Those opening lines are etched indelibly onto my brain...

which still leaves us in doubt as to how to pronounce his surname, although being a french Candain it's likely to be open to interpretation...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Tell Browning that. Hannover is the usual English form (they're twinned with Bristol and we have a Hannover Quay - unlike Hanover Square in London).

Vints - trust her - I bet she's right but I've never heard anyone comply with his stated preference ...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Hannover is the usual English form
                          ... do what? As in the House of Hanover - The Hanover Band - Hanover Square *.... usw, usw...

Surely "Hannover" is the German spellingk, - we Brits opted for "Hanover"...

* not to be confused with : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover_Square
                          Last edited by vinteuil; 11-06-14, 14:52.

Comment

• Radio64
                            • Jan 2014

Tell Browning that. Hannover is the usual English form (they're twinned with Bristol and we have a Hannover Quay - unlike Hanover Square in London).

Vints - trust her - I bet she's right but I've never heard anyone comply with his stated preference ...
                            Perhaps from here ?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... do what? As in the House of Hanover - The Hanover Band - Hanover Square *.... usw, usw...

Surely "Hannover" is the Geman spellingk, - we Brits opted for "Hanover"...
                              A lapsus calami, there, vints. Or lapsus digiti Or lapsus cerebelli.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I thought it was spelt with a "g"?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X