X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Interestingly, there was a spin story that when CB-H replaced SM-P as Breakfast presenter, the listening figures rose. 'Spin' because, during the quarter in question, CB-H had only presented 2 weeks (ten mornings) of a 13-week quarter - hardly even time for an audience to have registered that there had been a change in personnel, still less an 'improvement' plain enough to register in the figures.

I wonder whether there will be a similar story that when IS takes over there is a pronounced rise in listening? If not, he'll have to improve his Twitter following ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      during the quarter in question, CB-H had only presented 2 weeks (ten mornings) of a 13-week quarter - hardly even time for an audience to have registered that there had been a change in personnel
      Radio64 seemed to register it!

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        look up 'astroturfing'

Comment

• Radio64
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          You betcha! Was at home alone yesterday morning with some peace and quiet and some proper listening equipment, so PT was acceptable.
          Clemmy would've been even better though

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          look up 'astroturfing'
          we're getting some proper turfing done next week btw.
          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Pet Rock was recently sent to India. But he's back. Obviously didn't take the hint.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
              • Nov 2010

They're independent now, they don't have to accept any English who may turn up so they sent him back!
              I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

My own view is that the programme is awful and some of the presenters are, objectively, quite suited to it as it is; others apparently treat it as a challenge to attempt an improvement.

As for the (entirely aimiable) Mr Trelawny, all I would ask is who paid for him to go to Mumbai? and why, in this age of wireless telephony (and financial constraints at R3), was it necessary for him to actually go there?

However, some Facebook listeners posted that they much enjoyed that programme and expressed their gratitude. Since the programme has now been tailored to ensure that it's accessible to the under tens, presumably this is not the kind of issue that occurs to them. Raise it at your peril: you will be told you are a 'misery'.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

As for the (entirely aimiable) Mr Trelawny, all I would ask is who paid for him to go to Mumbai? and why, in this age of wireless telephony (and financial constraints at R3), was it necessary for him to actually go there?
                  I think he was there accompanying the BBCSSO, presumably announcing recorded concerts, and I heard it said that he was making some documentary programmes there for broadcast later in the year. The Breakfast broadcast was therefore probably a cheap add-on. It probaby acted as a 'dry run' for the live concert broadcast on the following Sunday as well.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    I think he was there accompanying the BBCSSO, presumably announcing recorded concerts, and I heard it said that he was making some documentary programmes there for broadcast later in the year. The Breakfast broadcast was therefore probably a cheap add-on. It probaby acted as a 'dry run' for the live concert broadcast on the following Sunday as well.
                    I wondered whether Mark Tully could have done all that was necessary, since he was already over there and, I think, with the orchestra. Alternatively, if that concert was live, perhaps it could have been recorded too, since this was not The Lighthouse, Poole. Still, it was probably only a cost to the BBC, rather than Radio 3 But perhaps Mark Tully could have made the documentary too

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

My own view is that the programme is awful and some of the presenters are, objectively, quite suited to it as it is; others apparently treat it as a challenge to attempt an improvement.

However, some Facebook listeners posted that they much enjoyed that programme and expressed their gratitude. Since the programme has now been tailored to ensure that it's accessible to the under tens, presumably this is not the kind of issue that occurs to them. Raise it at your peril: you will be told you are a 'misery'.
                      That's the way, ff: get your retaliation in first! So anyone who tells you you're a misery is infantile, eh? Nice one! And I give up.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                        That's the way, ff: get your retaliation in first! So anyone who tells you you're a misery is infantile, eh? Nice one! And I give up.
                        Good, so I win: the reference was to people having ALREADY been accused of being 'miseries' for commenting on Radio 3's 'celebration' (they posted a photo twice on Facebook) of having received a letter from a 7-year-old which said she enjoyed Breakfast and could she please have Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. Anyone who mentioned the fact that Breakfast was now reaching down to the 'under tens' and suggesting this this might, overall, decrease its appeal for older listener was labelled 'a misery' (twice). Your second sentence is a complete non sequitur: it wasn't the 7-year-old who thought it necessary to hurl insults.

Added to which, although the letter was presented as having been written - with a drawing - by the 7-year-old, it did appear to some, from the photo, to be the work of someone rather older, which would have lessened its significance if so.

Hope this explanation helps.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

who paid for the (BBC) orchestra to go to India ?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            who paid for the (BBC) orchestra to go to India ?
                            Unless the tour actually generates more revenue than it costs (unlikely?), I imagine the BBC central funds would have be called on since the performing groups are considered to enhance the BBC's standing and reputation at home and abroad.

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

I expect Squire Treyawney enhances their reputation too, wherever he goes

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                I expect Squire Treyawney enhances their reputation too, wherever he goes
                                I imagine he does, too! He is a very personable young(ish) man! Forgot to say that the Performing Groups do have a budget of their own to cover their regular running costs, but I don't know whether that would cover touring abroad. Radio 3 chips in from its own budget, but only for the direct costs of broadcasting the concerts (not sure about the ones from India either).

Comment

Working...
                                X