• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    To be fair, most of us don't talk in this infantile way about female presenters either, and it should be discouraged.
    Yes to both.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
      That's another way nobody talks about male presenters.

The worst thing about this board is its incurable laddishness.
      Arguably it should be the BBC/Radio 3 that's condemned, rather than this board. In my view it deliberately plays up to the 'glamour' aspect. And. It actually welcomes the blokes slavering and muttering Phwoar! As long as they listen to the programmes presented by a fanciable female - they might enjoy the music too.

It's like draping new cars with semi-clad women in order to attract the attention of the male of the species. Marketing. Apparently, it works.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

"The serpent tempted me, and I did eat."

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

The women glamour aspect isn't going to tempt us gay men, perhaps we could have some fit, hunky guy presenting Breakfast . Sadly I don't think Petroc or Rob are quite hunky enough

Comment

• laz

breakfast

Did R 3 hit a new low last Thursday morning when Clemmie invited the audience to `text or tweet` your musical puns to aid digestion?

We were treated to such rib ticklers as `Debutty` `Sausageakovitch` and `Vivaldi potatoes` between the serious stuff ; such puerility is beyond
            parody. Nothing personal against Clemmie but what is her producer doing allowing her to broadcast such inane drivel? classic FM is almost staid in comparison (or at least you know what you to expect)

is it too much to expect from the countries only station broadcasting art and culture that it should treat its audience like grown ups who have a deep and enquiring interest in its subject matter?

laz

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Hello, laz - the weary thread on the 'Eternal Breakfast Debate' (Playlist Programmes) did cover that. I'll move this over to join in with all the other dispirited contributions.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                The women glamour aspect isn't going to tempt us gay men, perhaps we could have some fit, hunky guy presenting Breakfast .
                In bed, hopefully

Sadly I don't think Petroc or Rob are quite hunky enough
                But I've always thought that Petroc is quite cute.

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Radio, perhaps the answer to your question lies herein!
                  Perhaps someone can help unravel my naive confusion here. I quote: "....especially as I'm pregnant, so trying to avoid too much caffeine!.....[then]...Petroc has a very busy December and January which has given us the opportunity to schedule our rota so that I'm getting quite a few weeks in the studio early on. Then he'll be holding the reins after the baby's born until we settle in to our usual weekly alternating breakfast presenting rhythm once more."

Well, so far so good, I thought, that's nice for them, sharing parental duties, even including holding the child's reins. Bit late for rthythm by now though. So, being the naive bumpkin that I am, I made a very rash assumption about the sire of said child, but then I saw this from her Wiki page:

Born: Clemency Margaret Greatrex Burton

so her maiden name is Burton. So where does the Hill come from? Oh, I thought, easy-peasy, she's married [another one of my rash assumptions] to a Mr Hill and wants to keep her family name too, not unusual among certain levels of society. But then it goes on to say [sic, note the plural]: Spouse(s): James Roscoe.

S-o-o-o, Mr Roscoe is Mr Burton-Hill, not Mr Trelawny?!? and so the baby will be......? Your opportunity to name the child will doubtless follow in a while....

Can anyone who has a life subcription to Debrett's and reads all the gossip columns put me right??

BTW if this curiosity trip of mine offends anyone, I plead Clemency.

Comment

• Radio64
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                    ..... Bit late for rthythm by now though. ...., I plead Clemency.
                    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• clive heath

A propos the assumption made that the presenters are unwilling participants in this farrago of texting and tweeting and dependent on the producers approval of their groundling efforts...........probably not. My guess is that they whole-heartedly endorse this self-congratulatory (" I'm so glad you chose that piece" gushes Rob to Petroc in the 8.45 trail for Essential) pandering to an imagined throng of Davina/ Ant and Dec/ etc. fans who are just waiting to be presented with that one piece that will unlock their classical passion and it'll be Clemency, Rob, Petroc what'll've done it!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I'm sorry, but some of us seem to falling into the trap of considering the presenter to be the most important aspect of Breakfast.

But to clear up the confusion over the name Clemency Burton-Hill is…

…the daughter of the TV presenter and writer Humphrey Burton and Gillian Hawser, an agent (who had married Robert I Hill in 1970), she attended St Paul's Girls' School and Westminster School before reading English at Magdalene College, Cambridge. Burton-Hill is a former scholar at the Royal College of Music, where she was the recipient of the Hugh Bean Violin Prize.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

So she's the daughter of Burton & Hawser (who either kept her maiden name on marrying Robert Hill, or junked his name as well as him), & has therefore taken her father's name, but has annexed her mother's ex-husband's name - odd, what?

of course, I'm assuming that Hawser was married to Burton when Clamancy was conceived/born, but she might still have been married to Hill, so Clemency has adopted the names of her actual father & her legal father.

It makes Wagner's family seem absolutely normal

Comment

• Radio64
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            So she's the daughter of Burton & Hawser (who either kept her maiden name on marrying Robert Hill, or junked his name as well as him), & has therefore taken her father's name, but has annexed her mother's ex-husband's name - odd, what?
                            ..but has totally ignored her husband's name .... n'est-ce pas?

Comment

• Gordon
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              I'm sorry, but some of us seem to falling into the trap of considering the presenter to be the most important aspect of Breakfast.
                              Could that be because they insist on sharing their personal lives with us!! People in glass houses....need lace curtains.

But to clear up the confusion over the name Clemency Burton-Hill is…

…the daughter of the TV presenter and writer Humphrey Burton and Gillian Hawser, an agent (who had married Robert I Hill in 1970), she attended St Paul's Girls' School and Westminster School before reading English at Magdalene College, Cambridge. Burton-Hill is a former scholar at the Royal College of Music, where she was the recipient of the Hugh Bean Violin Prize.
                              Thank you for that. The lady is clearly of "good family" [does sound a bit like a gent's outfitters] and a well educated one, and the possessor of some artistic talent too. As an English alumnus of Magdalene perhaps her BBC R3 blog [as quoted above] could have been phrased more carefully to avoid confusing us [well, me then] at such an early hour?

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              ..but has totally ignored her husband's name .... n'est-ce pas?
                              Er, oui, cesi est ma point!

Comment

• Radio64
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Gordon View Post

Er, oui, cesi est ma point!
                                That poor child. Well, not really ..

Comment

Working...
                                X