Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    She is the ideal RW dj - she has got rid of many of the unwanted type of listener - however why she is tolerated by the 'new' wanted audience defeats me - however I switch off whenever she is on and have done so now for many months.
    Me too. So that's mornings, and afternoons when she's on. Not a lot left is there?

Earthy chuckle etc. - would that be one Suzy Klein, Anna?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Earthy chuckle etc. - would that be one Suzy Klein, Anna?
      You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Well, moving swiftly on ... I have posted complimentary messages on both the R3 blog and their fb page about the current 'Music on the Brink' season. I'm sure it's going to have some excellent, fascinating items. But - and here, I think I'm on topic: I really can't face listening to 'Breakfast', 'Essential Classics' and, of course, In Tune, promising/threatening the same formats, the same presenters, the same features ('Tweet in with your memories of the day The Great War broke out') as round the year. That MUST surely be a turn-off for people besides me? Why do they do it this way (other than that it's less work)?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Me too. So that's mornings, and afternoons when she's on. Not a lot left is there?
          yes my listening to R3 is at best the midday chamber concert tho I've often switched this off if a certain dj is gushing over bleeding slabs torn from complete recitals, possibly preceded by COTW - I switch on again at 6.30pm and hope the evening concert hasn't been 'listen upped' or similar, tho that experiment was yet another RW failure which has passed unremarked.

Comment

• Anna

=french frank;368297]Well, moving swiftly on ...
            Sorry about that!
            Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I have posted complimentary messages on both the R3 blog and their fb page about the current 'Music on the Brink' season. I'm sure it's going to have some excellent, fascinating items. But - and here, I think I'm on topic: I really can't face listening to 'Breakfast', 'Essential Classics' and, of course, In Tune, promising/threatening the same formats, the same presenters, the same features ('Tweet in with your memories of the day The Great War broke out') as round the year. That MUST surely be a turn-off for people besides me? Why do they do it this way (other than that it's less worlK
            Actually. it's far more fun than ScubertFest or yet another bluddy Bach cantata!!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I'm going to smuggle in a comment, off topic as far as the thread title is concerned (as I think Ms Derham only 'does' afternoons), but germane to scb's point. It also may offend the 'don't slag off individuals' approach - if so, I'm happy for it to be deleted (may do so myself in a while, once it's off my chest ) but it's got my blood a-boil.

I find it impossible to take Ms Derham's announcements seriously now. It always sounds as if she's working off some text by a producer who knows something about the subject, and adds her own little random emphases and embellishments ("Joseph - he of Technicolor Dreamcoat fame"...), plus as discussed elsewhere, absurdly o.t.t. foreign-style pronunciations.

It adds up to a risible mix which trivialises everything she says, and robs any actual substance of authority....

Coupled with that is the dread of the next alteration of her tone into that trademark 'aural simper' she has perfected....
              She also has a less than attractive sniff that is executed close to the mike. In her element this afternoon with foreign names galore for her to over-pronounce. I was so mesmerised by her pronounciation that I never got to hear who the composer of the Catalan mass was. Not that I found it riveting at all and there was a pretty execrable soloist who found it nigh on impossible to hit any note at all (or the right ones in the correct order).
              Its all the matey-matey, jokey-jokey, asides and diversions that sets one's teeth on edge.
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                She also has a less than attractive sniff that is executed close to the mike. In her element this afternoon with foreign names galore for her to over-pronounce. I was so mesmerised by her pronounciation that I never got to hear who the composer of the Catalan mass was. Not that I found it riveting at all and there was a pretty execrable soloist who found it nigh on impossible to hit any note at all (or the right ones in the correct order).
                Its all the matey-matey, jokey-jokey, asides and diversions that sets one's teeth on edge.
                Yes I happened to be listening this afternoon, hence the rant (I almost never catch the afternoon programming, hence I'm no doubt late to this particular Slough of Despond. But yes, those Catalan names.... ... you're right, it just gets in the way ! )
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

I only had a brief exposure but it was enough. Michael Nyman, In re Don Giovanni. This was for me the worst thing I've heard on BBC3 in some time. I struggled to understand what it was other than noise.

J

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Looking around for presenters who do not insult both their own intelligence and that of listeners/viewers, the one with whom I can find no fault is Ellie Harrison on Countryfile and other programmes about the environment.

Comment

• AndyJW
                      • Jan 2011

Chopin prelude cut short this morning to play a Sean Rafferty trail and tasters of what will follow in the next hour!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

The A minor prelude wasn't actually cut short, it was the start of the G major prelude that follows, basically someone was a little bit late with the stop button and instead had to quickly fade. Mind you it does sound that CBH didn't realise that it was the start of the next prelude!!!

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                          ... Mind you it does sound that CBH didn't realise that it was the start of the next prelude!!!
                          she was probably tweeting - you don't think she listens to the show do you ?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Suzy Klein tweeted that she was listening to the Today programme this morning, it appears.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

I caught Breakfast this morning - And now we have the Classical Chart, let's see the new entries of those cds you've all been buying ....... Do they honestly think R3 listeners buy chart stuff?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I caught Breakfast this morning - And now we have the Classical Chart, let's see the new entries of those cds you've all been buying ....... Do they honestly think R3 listeners buy chart stuff?
                                Perhaps some may hear a disc they like and then buy it...*

*Personal communication

Comment

Working...
                                X