• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Domeyhead View Post
    I'll confess to not having heard of Magnard either, and was pleased and surprised to become acquainted with him, albeit via the awful phone in slot.
    Yes, OTH they could have introduced listeners to his works without being prompted by a phoner-in. But then, if they hadn't heard of him there wouldn't be much chance of that.

Without having a music degree, or any musical training, I somehow managed to have heard of him. And I heard of his symphonies either via the old messageboards or this forum.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

blimey, we've got to connect Zadok the Priest, The Great Gate of Kiev and (I think ) Le Chasseur Maudit

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        blimey, we've got to connect Zadok the Priest, The Great Gate of Kiev and (I think ) Le Chasseur Maudit
        Chicken? Chasseur, Kiev and Priest.

I got this recipe from a message board that I have participated in for over 3 years. It was a rave on the board so I thought I would try it. OMGosh,

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Coronation Chicken, soft lad!

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

yes, Coronation Chicken was the third I had completely forgotten there was such a thing as Chicken Kiev
            Last edited by mercia; 11-10-13, 11:13.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
              Coronation Chicken, soft lad!
              Well, I got there in fewer moves.

(I had assumed the intended connection would be a musical one, but then I haven't beared to listen to R3 in the mornings for some little time.)
              Last edited by Guest; 11-10-13, 10:13. Reason: Expecting too much

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                My very first CD purchase in the '80s was the Accord 5CD set of the Magnard chamber works - or at least, it should have been. When I got it home the box proved to have none of the discs inside! (Was it a dummy for a shop window display, I wonder.)
                Extraordinary début, Don, on a number of levels!

What had prompted the Magnard purchase? Was it random, or a very specific urge?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Extraordinary début, Don, on a number of levels!

What had prompted the Magnard purchase? Was it random, or a very specific urge?

Probably a voracious appetite for chamber music, coupled with the fact that I don't think any of the works had been on LP (or if so they had slipped my LP net).

I forgot to mention that at the time of purchase I had no means of playing CDs anyway, so perhaps the empty box was fate trying to reflect this. But things like that don't matter to the true collector, and eventually I did get a player to catch up on a small reserve of awaiting silver discs!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    I forgot to mention that at the time of purchase I had no means of playing CDs anyway, so perhaps the empty box was fate trying to reflect this. But things like that don't matter to the true collector, and eventually I did get a player to catch up on a small reserve of awaiting silver discs!
                    I did exactly the same Don - had a similar small reserve by the time I invested in a player (Though I did have access at friends' to a CD player hooked up to a cassette deck, so I would commit all my CD purchases to tape and listen to them that way, before unalloyed digital pleasures could be afforded!).

My first one was Joseph Keilberth playing orchestral excerpts from R Strauss operas, it was right in my Strauss phrase and it seemed very exotic to be able to have the 'Potpourri' from Die Schwiegsame Frau and the Interludes from Intermezzo...

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I did exactly the same Don - had a similar small reserve by the time I invested in a player (Though I did have access at friends' to a CD player hooked up to a cassette deck, so I would commit all my CD purchases to tape and listen to them that way, before unalloyed digital pleasures could be afforded!).

My first one was Joseph Keilberth playing orchestral excerpts from R Strauss operas, it was right in my Strauss phrase and it seemed very exotic to be able to have the 'Potpourri' from Die Schwiegsame Frau and the Interludes from Intermezzo...
                      My reading of this is that a way into, say, Liszt (for example) might be to buy a magnificent complete works set on some groovy new medium , but without the capability to play it.
                      Then when the playing capability arrives, the transformative effect on understanding and enjoyment will be instant.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood the process in some way?
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        My reading of this is that a way into, say, Liszt (for example) might be to buy a magnificent complete works set on some groovy new medium , but without the capability to play it.
                        Then when the playing capability arrives, the transformative effect on understanding and enjoyment will be instant.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood the process in some way?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

never mind all that, Cals, this is just a Prelude.........
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

never mind all that, Cals, this is just a Prelude.........
                            One of several Préludes?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

One of several Préludes?

1 is enough, really !! Even for " Breakfast".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

1 is enough
                                Some might say, more than enough...

Comment

Working...
                                X