X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    But you're already listening, and you'll still count in the listening figures unless you stop listening entirely ... The gamble is that there'll always be something that you (and listeners like you) want to listen to each week. One quarter hour slot per week (and only 5 continuous minutes of that slot), and you're 'a Radio 3 listener' for that week.
    I drop in and out (more out than in). If I catch any of Breakfast, it's usually via Catch-Up (don't know how these figures are monitored?) so that I can forward the most egregious and execrable parts of the programme.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      If I catch any of Breakfast, it's usually via Catch-Up (don't know how these figures are monitored?)
      They aren't included in the RAJAR figures. But most people want to listen to the radio at breakfast time - it's still by a massive majority - the favourite way to listen to radio i.e. 'linear' radio, live.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

They aren't included in the RAJAR figures. But most people want to listen to the radio at breakfast time - it's still by a massive majority - the favourite way to listen to radio i.e. 'linear' radio, live.
        Phew! What a relief. I'd hate to think I was contributing to their listening figures!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

I lost a post somewhere: it was billed as being Tom McKinney, not Simon Hoban. '
          It was indeed Tom McKinney. Amusingly, during the pre-handover chat on Sunday, Rob Cowan called him Simon at least once. At the end, Tom said something along the lines of 'it's Tom actually, though perhaps you'd prefer it to be Simon,' leaving RC spluttering 'oh no I wouldn't prefer that in the least...' [to fade]

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

Both weekend playlists are still missing at the moment, as the lazy, can't be bothered person(s) who update the website are up to their usual inactivity. Hope its up soon or I'll to endure skipping through both wretched programmes on the iplayer to keep my survey as accurate as possible.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

keep up the great work Suffy.

If it helps save you a bit of time,, you can chalk up another "invitation to the dance" from this morning.

Fortunately, a rather excellent Walton double CD set saved me from anything else the show had to offer.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

As long as there wasn't yet another Hungarian Dance as well. The obession with them this year is so far even greater than before and they look set to break the 100 mark!!! The Slavonics are a little behind this year even though RC does his best to help them catch up. Nutcracker and Firebird extracts are already well past last year's totals with Swan Lake extracts already almost equal to last year. So far J S Bach has already well passed the 1000 mark overall for works/chunks with Mozart closing in on four figures and its been a good year for Schubert who is ahead of Beethoven.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

The playlists are now up, and there was indeed yet another Hungarian Dance, plus another one this morning!

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Just tuned into Breakfast to test my new hearing aid. SM-P, loud and talking fast, as usual, told me me 'we' are compiling an A-Z of film music.

Oh, are we?

CDs beckon

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                      • Nov 2010

Just back from a lengthy cruise so have missed all the R3 filmmusicfest until now. There was a string quartet on board who entertained the guests pre-dinner with favourites including the Boccherini. In 21 days we may have heard it some 10 times. The "classical music" station on the ship's broadcasting system played non-stop easy listening. The Bocccherini came round on the loop a number of times.
                      And this morning tuning in to R3 for the first time in 3 weeks what do we hear? Yup, the Boccherini.
                      ad infinitum.
                      O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                        Just back from a lengthy cruise so have missed all the R3 filmmusicfest until now. There was a string quartet on board who entertained the guests pre-dinner with favourites including the Boccherini. In 21 days we may have heard it some 10 times.
                        Just imagine being made to perform that over and over again ad infinitum, from the musicians' perspective! Almost worse than the theme for the Parkinson Show - probably the best-paid "jazz performance" in the history of Britain's contribution to the genre!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

S M-P this morning:
                          "And now a composer who is new to me, Alberic Magnard".

While I would admit Magnard is not in the first (or even perhaps the second) slew of composers I would have thought someone who had an in-depth knowledge and had studied classical music might, at some time, at least have come across the name if not necessarily the music.

Even this old duffer with no classical music education - other than my own inquisitiveness - has an LP with the Magnard 4th symphony on the shelves.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

S M-P is a presenter, playing a role. In the current climate on R3 I suspect she would feel she had to say that even if she was an expert on the chap. (After all we don't want to seem elitist, do we?)

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                              S M-P is a presenter, playing a role. In the current climate on R3 I suspect she would feel she had to say that even if she was an expert on the chap. (After all we don't want to seem elitist, do we?)
                              Ah, now I understand.

Grim.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                                I would have thought someone who had an in-depth knowledge and had studied classical music might, at some time, at least have come across the name if not necessarily the music.
                                There is a myth that people who have a degree in music will somehow have gained a comprehensive knowledge of the repertoire. My guess is that it's like a French degree where graduates have studied the handful of literary texts on the syllabus, and that's the extent of their knowledge of French literature. With music degrees now covering a wide range of music, and more and more students opting for non-classical modules, I imagine they know even less. And post-graduate degrees are no better: they will typically focus on some narrow topic that is examined in depth.

Forget about college and university degrees: knowledge comes with pursuing an enthusiasm enthusiastically - for the longer the better. And being at least 55 .

All in my opinion, I should add.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X