• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
    I think you're all forgetting that this is a knight of the realm we're talking about.
    Mind you, when I met him, he was listening to Haydn piano trios...

(I mean Mick, not JH..... )

Couldn't resist dropping that in...

No irony smiley required, btw!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Mind you, when I met him, he was listening to Haydn piano trios...

(I mean Mick, not JH..... )

Couldn't resist dropping that in...

No irony smiley required, btw!
      Oh, please tell me that he said after listening "Finally ... I've found satisfaction"!

Not that I approve of this name-dropping, Cali; very undignified. (Karajan agreed with me in one of our chats.)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Oh, please tell me that he said after listening "Finally ... I've found satisfaction"!

Not that I approve of this name-dropping, Cali; very undignified. (Karajan agreed with me in one of our chats.)

(He actually said "It helps get the ringin' out me ears" in response to me saying - impossibly primly - "oh this sounds rather nice")

<mortified smiley>

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

(He actually said "It helps get the ringin' out me ears" in response to me saying - impossibly primly - "oh this sounds rather nice")

<mortified smiley>
          . I am all agog. It almost (ahem) beats the line from my wedding speech all those years ago:

"As I was saying to the Queen Mother only last Sunday....."

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

SO I take it the revolution is on hold ,for now, while all indulge in high level name dropping?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              SO I take it the revolution is on hold ,for now, while all indulge in high level name dropping?
              I asked for it! Bring it on!

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

I think Rumpole has met Alex Song which impressed me more than a man, even a peer of the realm, well past his sell by date.......l

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Speaking of revolution, and name-dropping...

Back in 1975, at the time of the referendum on British entry to the EC, or Common Market, or whatever it was called at that time, a left-wing rally was called at Bristol Students Union, with speakers arguing for support, opposition or abstention. Ernest Mandel, the then-famous (in left-wing circles) Belgian Marxist economist, spoke against Britain's entry, on the grounds that anything that interfered with the ease of money and cheap labour flow between countries assisted by Britain's entry represented a weakening of the globalist aims of the capitalist class. A young women from a split-off group then stood up and berated Mandel, accusing him and like-thinkers of "petty bourgeois nationalism". Mandel removed his glasses, shook his head, stood up and said, "In my time I 'ave been accuse of many things. But neveurrrr, neveurrrrr, 'ave I been accuse of nationalisme!" Afterwards at the Indian, as Mandel nonchalantly slipped "But, as I always used to say to Fidel" into some reminiscing, we were all agog!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I asked for it! Bring it on!
                    Oh, moan, moan. Is there really a Radio 3 presenter who pronounces Respighi as Res-pee-jee? Was CBH again taken ill at the last moment, and they had to bus in the Radio Merseyside presenter because they couldn't get anyone up to Salford in time?

Sorry, but this is a terrible programme. Did we really have to have constant mentions of Glastonbury throughout the programme, and asking people to tweet in about muddy boots they remember and how the BBC will be covering it on thirty-nine different services? Plus the obligatory Johann Strauss II and... and... and...

I know there are people who like this sort of stuff - that's not at issue - but why can't they listen to it on CFM ? I only listen so that they can't say if you don't listen, you can't complain. Then they say, oh, I really think these people only listen so that they can complain!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I know there are people who like this sort of stuff - that's not at issue - but why can't they listen to it on CFM ? I only listen so that they can't say if you don't listen, you can't complain. Then they say, oh, I really think these people only listen so that they can complain!
                      FF it's a lost cause RW will get his gong for services to the arts(those Doctor Who proms etc) and R3 (now renamed R2.5)can die unlamented as the audience is delivered over to CFm - the 50's (when I guess most of us here were educated) were a glorious exception to the poverty of education for those without the financial clout to buy privilege - the idea of a national broadcaster addressing an educated audience is anathema to those in gov - the natives might even start to think for themselves and we saw what happened after WW2 thanks to education and never again will that be permitted.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                        FF it's a lost cause RW will get his gong for services to the arts(those Doctor Who proms etc) and R3 (now renamed R2.5)can die unlamented as the audience is delivered over to CFm - the 50's (when I guess most of us here were educated) were a glorious exception to the poverty of education for those without the financial clout to buy privilege - the idea of a national broadcaster addressing an educated audience is anathema to those in gov - the natives might even start to think for themselves and we saw what happened after WW2 thanks to education and never again will that be permitted.
                        this is the nub of the issue Fiom.

If only it was "just" radio 3.

We have been taken to the cleaners, I fear.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I remember Mick Jagger when he lived in Dartford and 'performed' at a local 'fete'[worse than death].

I didn't bother to go,I was already hooked on classical music.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            I remember Mick Jagger when he lived in Dartford and 'performed' at a local 'fete'[worse than death].
                            Mick Jagger? or the fete?

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Mick Jagger? or the fete?
                              Just the name we snobs give to goings-on in local parks, probably both anyway.

I did see Petula Clark yonks ago, she was quite a kid at the time but sang well.

I preferred the Beatles to the Stones, anyway.

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

yesterday on Breakfast PT was able to give an exact date when a piece he had just played was last broadcast on R3 (eleven years previously apparently). which led me to suppose that they must have some sort of database at their fingertips which lists every work that has ever been broadcast and frequency of broadcasting - could this be so ?

Comment

Working...
                                X