The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath

On Saturday mornings at breakfast time I listen to a 2hr programme which has a news bulletin midway, requests and trailers for subsequent programmes.

You will not hear;

headlines on the quarter-hours, news summaries on the half-hours

tweets invited or read out

snippets of music to be played later

members of the public interviewed on air

nauseating chats with the presenters of the following programme

guests, maps, pins
    It is mature radio, especially for the older generation although I suspect its appeal is far wider.

SOTS.
    Last edited by Guest; 22-06-13, 08:01. Reason: forgot snippets!

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by clive heath View Post

It is mature radio, especially for the older generation although I suspect its appeal is far wider.
      Well you see, unless you're a sub-tweenie, you're of no interest to Radio 3.

I'm afraid Matilda (5) and Adam (3) -- or their pushy parents -- who picked the Breakfast signing-off music today, have done it for me. It's my CDs until 9 am from now on.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I'm afraid Matilda (5) and Adam (3) -- or their pushy parents -- who picked the Breakfast signing-off music today, have done it for me.
        I think I heard it as Matilda and Adelaide. No doubt Ivan, aged 4, was listening as usual. And the Read boys, aged 8 and 5. And I think someone mentioned her cat or dog (I forget which) the other day.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• arancie33
          • Jan 2011

In the brief moments we had Radio 3 Breakfast on yesterday and today, I heard SM-P transpose Wednesday to Thursday (260750) and then this morning she moved Lugano to Italy (iPlayer today at 1:56:40). Too much tweeting and texting softens the brain, I reckon.

Comment

• clive heath

A cri-de-coeur from a Times reader in yesterday's letters:

"Introducing music by Fauré, the Radio 3 presenter said:" Another weepie coming up". Mon dieu! Can nothing staunch this nauseous tide of trivialisation? The BBC is in real crisis."

...answer came there... Non

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

"Introducing music by Fauré, the Radio 3 presenter said:" Another weepie coming up". Mon dieu! Can nothing staunch this nauseous tide of trivialisation? The BBC is in real crisis."

...answer came there... Non
              Radio 3 tweets this morning: "How charming to hear this Benedictus by Alexander MacKenzie, celebrating British music on @BBCRadio3 #3breakfast @simonhoban" When you look at the playlist (yes, it's there already - before the programme has even finished) AM is simply listed as 'Mackenzie' (no one took time to find out which Mackenzie one presumes. Oh, come on - he's in Wikipedia 1847-1935). Click on 'Mackenzie' in the playlist and you get "Mackenzie - Scottish Gaelic trio from the Isle of Lewis - Biography - We currently have no biography for this artist" - plus an ad for Radio 1's Big Weekend. So much for Radio 3's music research department.

I see from the main BBC Home News that the Arctic Monkeys are to headline Glastonbury...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

not much luck if one clicks on other composers in that list - "sorry the server hit a problem" I get (except for Edward German)

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  not much luck if one clicks on other composers in that list - "sorry the server hit a problem" I get (except for Edward German)
                  I would have thought it would be far less trouble to copy the plain running order - which is presumably already on someone's computer. And don't bother about changing it at the last minute - if a relevant news item does occur e.g. some performer dies, it can be dealt with later.

[The members of the 'Scottish Gaelic Trio from the Isle of Lewis' are listed as:
                  Fiona Mackenzie,
                  Eilidh Mackenzie ]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Radio 3 tweets this morning: "How charming to hear this Benedictus by Alexander MacKenzie, celebrating British music on @BBCRadio3 #3breakfast @simonhoban" When you look at the playlist (yes, it's there already - before the programme has even finished) AM is simply listed as 'Mackenzie' (no one took time to find out which Mackenzie one presumes. Oh, come on - he's in Wikipedia 1847-1935). Click on 'Mackenzie' in the playlist and you get "Mackenzie - Scottish Gaelic trio from the Isle of Lewis - Biography - We currently have no biography for this artist" - plus an ad for Radio 1's Big Weekend. So much for Radio 3's music research department.

I see from the main BBC Home News that the Arctic Monkeys are to headline Glastonbury...
                    ... where Radio 4's Today has installed John Humphrys to interview Mick Jagger

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Luckily,there is nothing really important going on in the world just now.

Oh, and 're listings,playlists etc standards at the BBC are genuinely pathetic.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

A similar cri-de-coeur - though not a printable one - rang through Caliban Towers yesterday morning when Sara Mohr-Saccharine played the third movement of Vaughan Williams's 5th symphony as an example of "a tear-jerker"...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

You wait until they start introducing items as "the well-known music of the British Airways ad"

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            A similar cri-de-coeur - though not a printable one - rang through Caliban Towers yesterday morning when Sara Mohr-Saccharine played the third movement of Vaughan Williams's 5th symphony as an example of "a tear-jerker"...

Pathetic isn't it

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Today's BBC, you might say.

At 69, the BBC inquisitor John Humphrys is experiencing his first festival experience as he hosts the Today programme from a radio car in a field at Glastonbury.

"The reason for the early start is Saturday morning's Today Programme, which he is co-presenting from Glastonbury, where he has an exclusive interview with Mick Jagger (on tape - "Sir Mick isn't going on air before his Cornflakes")."

Yes, pathetic, isn't it? Supposed to be the BBC's flagship news programme. He has to be in Glastonbury to play a tape of an interview with Mick Jagger?

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Today's BBC, you might say.

At 69, the BBC inquisitor John Humphrys is experiencing his first festival experience as he hosts the Today programme from a radio car in a field at Glastonbury.

"The reason for the early start is Saturday morning's Today Programme, which he is co-presenting from Glastonbury, where he has an exclusive interview with Mick Jagger (on tape - "Sir Mick isn't going on air before his Cornflakes")."

Yes, pathetic, isn't it? Supposed to be the BBC's flagship news programme. He has to be in Glastonbury to play a tape of an interview with Mick Jagger?
                                I think you're all forgetting that this is a knight of the realm we're talking about.

(I mean Mick, not JH..... )
                                Last edited by mangerton; 29-06-13, 14:56. Reason: to bemoan lack of "irony" smiley

Comment

Working...
                                X