• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Eltham
    Well worth a visit, iimss - the Palace, rather than the town, that is.

Sorry - OT!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
      They certainly are, SA. Do you know this splendid site, which has a good run of maps from the mid-19th century on?

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html
      Wow - many thanks, JFLL

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

'Eltham'
        I listen to the tunes with the wallpaper a few feet from my left ear.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Now we're dragged into LB of Bexley and we haven't moved an inch.

What was all that funny stuff earlier?? Was the answer Beecham ??
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Well worth a visit, iimss - the Palace, rather than the town, that is.

Sorry - OT!
            Well Imentioned it first S-A. I've been going to visit it many times and now I would probably have difficulty in walking round it. I love what I've seen on TV, etc though, that wonderful art deco carpet for one thing.A short bus ride from here too. I used to shop in Allders there. All OT - sorry.........

Comment

• JFLL
              • Jan 2011

. All OT - sorry.........
              Do you think FF would give us a North-West Kent sub-forum if we asked her very nicely?

Comment

• Anna

Do I recall, from an earlier thread, that Napoleon has a connection with Sidcup?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  Do you think FF would give us a North-West Kent sub-forum if we asked her very nicely?
                  Hmmmmm - wouldnt be fair on the rest on the bored I reckon

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Do I recall, from an earlier thread, that Napoleon has a connection with Sidcup?
                    Oh Anna, I hope antongould doesn't see this. Yes he is VERY interested in Nap 3 who lived in Chislehurst forsome years. My local coz, ex Chislehurst librarian, still goes around lecturing about the history of the place He even has a website which I passed onto anton. I think Dame Ethel Smyth is our real celebrity.
                    Shewas quite a girl, in spite of Beecham's derogatory remarks about her. She was born in ourHigh Street, where there is now a shoe shop.

Comment

• Don Petter

Napoleon III (nephew of Napoleon I) was originallly buried at St Mary's, Chislehurst, but was later moved to Farnborough. He spent his last years at Camden Place, Chislehurst. Was that the connection you were thinking of?

Comment

• Anna

Oh Anna, I hope antongould doesn't see this. Yes he is VERY interested in Nap 3 who lived in Chislehurst forsome years. My local coz, ex Chislehurst librarian, still goes around lecturing about the history of the place He even has a website which I passed onto anton. I think Dame Ethel Smyth is our real celebrity.
                        Shewas quite a girl, in spite of Beecham's derogatory remarks about her. She was born in ourHigh Street, where there is now a shoe shop.
                        saly, I thought I had remembered something about Napoleon 3!! So, it's anton that is keen on him? Well I never! Dame Ethel, I too think she's great (hardly ever played of course but a wonderful profile in those old photos!) Edit: cross posted with Don P.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

saly, I thought I had remembered something about Napoleon 3!! So, it's anton that is keen on him? Well I never! Dame Ethel, I too think she's great (hardly ever played of course but a wonderful profile in those old photos!) Edit: cross posted with Don P.
                          Surprised ff hasn't vetoed this South London diversion yet!

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I have been banned from mentioning him

Comment

• JFLL
                              • Jan 2011

I think Dame Ethel Smyth is our real celebrity.
                              Did anyone hear the amusing one-minute clip of Dame Ethel talking about Brahms the other day in the '90 x 90' series (it was on In Tune, I think)? She gleefully pilloried Brahms for his 'deficient breeding' and said that 'intercourse' with him was like 'playing ball with a hedgehog'. (Couldn't help being reminded of the old joke …. )

It's here:

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                I have been banned from mentioning him
                                Now anton,you haven't been banned, it's just that I only know the story as mentioned above. I can't take him seriously after your remark about people in the SE never staying buried in the same place for long.
                                Oh yes,Brookwood Cemetery and Beecham being moved to Limpsfield. Crumbs, I still have a memory for some things. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X