If you took over from Roger Wright what would you do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Though it should at least be debated (if only to maintain one's views) that when Sounds Interesting was on, there were only three BBC music stations - Radio 1, Radio 2 and Radio 3. There are now also 1Xtra, 6 Music and the Asian Network. So why on Radio 3 at all (I just pose the question)?

Listeners who use only AM/FM receivers on average tune in to 2.9 stations per week; with DAB that rises to 3.5. So what is the principle that would now have such a programme hosted by, say, Stuart Maconie, on Radio 3?

Not perhaps a principle, but surely a good idea to have a mix of quality programming that carries across any artificial boundaries. Why NOT have world music on 2 and 3? why not have the same series running across different stations? why not carry mainstream popular Proms on R2 , say on friday nights?

Musicians cross the " genre " boundaries easily enough,and to good effect, so it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Radio station controllers to replicate this, especially as there are managers in place who cover more than one station.

As I have said before, (just a whimsical thought), I could see the place for a " Breakfast" show (perhaps not on radio 3) that covered classical, Jazz, folk, world, pop, (in fact music) and in a way dedicated to quality.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Not perhaps a principle, but surely a good idea to have a mix of quality programming that carries across any artificial boundaries. Why NOT have world music on 2 and 3? why not have the same series running across different stations? why not carry mainstream popular Proms on R2 , say on friday nights?
      Two points: the word 'quality' poses a problem when even the BBC judges it as 'what audiences appreciate'. It then means 'what I appreciate'. And what you appreciate is not necessarily 'quality' unless I appreciate it too. So in BBC-speak all BBC programmes are 'quality' whatever service they're on, because someone somewhere appreciates them. An indirect way of pointing out - not necessarily to you, ts - that just because it's 'quality' it's place has to be on R3.

The second point is that not everyone appreciates everything, so if there is some form of 'classifying', people will know at least where to find what they enjoy. If every service provided programmes that were a mixture, people would have to switch backwards and forwards all the time. So it makes sense to have distinctions, even if - as with all things - there can be some overlap. I personally wouldn't bother with any programmes that covered 'classical, Jazz, folk, world, pop' &c. The reality is that most people don't like classical music - so why force them to listen to it by inserting it between pieces they do like? It wouldn't mean that a programme or two couldn't be on, say, Radio 1 or Radio 2: just not constantly cropping up in pop, rock or jazz programmes.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

FF, re your #92.

1, I'm not sure I understand the BBC speak. And I don't think I want to !!

2. Yes, I think you are right to a great extent, and it is useful to have a degree of predictability in programming But being confronted with the unexpected, from time to time makes for healthy radio. actually, I think a lot of people DO like (some) classical music one way or another. But not that many choose it as their preferred listening most of the time.

(and I think my idea for a Breakfast show as I described is just something I would like !!)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Musicians cross the " genre " boundaries easily enough,and to good effect, so it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Radio station controllers to replicate this, especially as there are managers in place who cover more than one station.

As I have said before, (just a whimsical thought), I could see the place for a " Breakfast" show (perhaps not on radio 3) that covered classical, Jazz, folk, world, pop, (in fact music) and in a way dedicated to quality.
          Good response ts. In fact the R2 controllers have lost the plot even more than R3. If the BBC were determined to replicate CFM when the digital channels were set up why did they not create a R3extra?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

I've been meaning to say this for some time....don't you all think you are being very rude about Roger Wright....it might not be his fault or something in his earlier life might have led him to do the sorts of things that he has a tendency to do....especially in music orientated arenas....perhaps he was caught with a crystal set under his bed covers during Steve Race Plays Jazz and it's stayed there like an elephant in room ever since ...." I was just tuning in trying to find Simprini Seranades, and the wild wailing of a tenor saxophone crept out of my bakelite ex army headphones and tipped off my parents to late night deviance....damn you jazz forever"....It's way things can happen, perhaps now with the Bright New Big Society there would be a counsellor handy near by....but back in those days....
            Last edited by eighthobstruction; 04-04-14, 21:20.
            bong ching

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Radio 2 is a plot ...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                Radio 2 is a plot ...
                ...as in allotment?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Good response ts. In fact the R2 controllers have lost the plot even more than R3.
                  This is the legendary ratings obsessed management. R2 already has the largest audience, by a few millions, of any UK station, and they still aim for more - hence the dropping of most of the light music shows. And the R2 Controller is the new Director of Music ... :-(

ts

1, I'm not sure I understand the BBC speak. And I don't think I want to !!
                  I will not elaborate, then
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

This is the legendary ratings obsessed management. R2 already has the largest audience, by a few millions, of any other UK station, and they still aim for more - hence the dropping of most of the light music shows. And the R2 Controller is the new Director of Music ... :-(

ts

please do. Expertise of most kinds is admirable. I'm not going to like the general thrust of it though, am I ?!

(Its called getting your retaliation in first!)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

[/B]

please do. Expertise of most kinds is admirable. I'm not going to like the general thrust of it though, am I ?!

It's that the BBC has 4 main measurements by which they assess how well services are performing: QRIV or Quality, Reach, Impact and ValueForMoney.

Quality is mainly measured by the audience Appreciation Index: they take a panel of audience members and ask them to rate programmes and services out of 100. A high appreciation index = Quality. A possible objection might be that they (of course) ask those who watch/listen. But if they don't listen because they don't think much of the service/programme, they don't get asked. And if people do watch/listen, they're likely to do so because they appreciate it.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

This is the legendary ratings obsessed management. R2 already has the largest audience, by a few millions, of any UK station, and they still aim for more - hence the dropping of most of the light music shows. And the R2 Controller is the new Director of Music ... :-(

ts

...and I guess that The Organist Entertains, Listen to the Band and Sunday Half hour moved to inconvenient times is designed to decrease the audience so that they can be conveniently removed completely at a later date. Meanwhile Radio 1.5 rules with not so young djs transferred from R1 to R2.

ff You mention Quality as one of the BBC's measures - width seems to be more important.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

It's that the BBC has 4 main measurements by which they assess how well services are performing: QRIV or Quality, Reach, Impact and ValueForMoney.

Quality is mainly measured by the audience Appreciation Index: they take a panel of audience members and ask them to rate programmes and services out of 100. A high appreciation index = Quality. A possible objection might be that they (of course) ask those who watch/listen. But if they don't listen because they don't think much of the service/programme, they don't get asked. And if people do watch/listen, they're likely to do so because they appreciate it.
                          all seems clear.
                          There are several BBC presenters that I don't like , but never listen to. .....any more......

Comment

• worlingworth1

I think I would say to all the R3 staff, well done your doing a great job in difficult circumstances carry on no change , your all doing very well ...........

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post
                              I think I would say to all the R3 staff, well done your doing a great job in difficult circumstances carry on no change , your all doing very well ...........
                              What an apposite moment to reopen this ancient thread. Roger Wright has now been replaced and the new season's highlights have been announced. A celebration of Arthur Miller, Pinter, Stoppard, a new Stockhausen work in a week celebrating contemporary music …

There will be wringing of hands.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post

Hiya worlingworth1,

Blimey!

Comment

Working...
                                X