If you took over from Roger Wright what would you do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

If you took over from Roger Wright what would you do ?

You wake up and Lord Hall is on the phone offering you the job as controller of radio 3 . What would you do on your first day ?

Give P45s to Petroc,Sean and Katie ?

Offer Stephanie Hughes a few quid to come back ?

Cancel Breakfast with immediate effect and replace it with Morning Concert commencing tomorrow at 7.02 with Mahler 4 ?

What would be your priorities ?
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Start a programme to make the entire archive of Radio 3 / The Third programme available on line.

Give Andrew McGregor a raise in salary.

Have Bo Holten as COTW.

Fight for my colleagues and corner.
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 02-04-14, 20:53.

Comment

• Ariosto

Close down Radio 3 and the whole BBC for that matter ...

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
        Close down Radio 3 and the whole BBC for that matter ...
        And replace it with...?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          And replace it with...?
          In Hungary they now have a name plaque on a government building with this on it !

"The secretary of state responsible for the development, coordination and execution of a unified concept of classical music"

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

HG would leave everything as it is.

I would get rid of the guests, twitterers, texters etc from the morning (I'd cut 'Private PAssions' too), improve the afternoon offering.

As a start.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Abolish "Breakfast" and " EC", and give rob Cowan freedom to run the mornings properly, with the proviso only that the hungarian Dances and the Slavonic Dances are banned for 5 years.
              Restore the lunchtime concert to proper concerts every day.
              Treble the EMS hours.
              Set minimum quotas for rarely heard repertoire.
              hand " In Tune " to somebody with real vision.
              Make Discovering Music a cornerstone of the schedule, in a variety of formats, with a minimum on one major and one minor feature at least 6 days a week. (and put SJ on wages).
              Ban presenters from making judgements other than on rare occasions.

and lots of other stuff.
              Last edited by teamsaint; 02-04-14, 21:44.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                In Hungary they now have a name plaque on a government building with this on it !
                "The secretary of state responsible for the development, coordination and execution of a unified concept of classical music"

Unfortunately life isn't that simple in UK. As somebody reminded me the other day, the BBC Radio 3 Service Licence as set out by the BBC Trust states the following:

"Around its core proposition of classical music, its speech-based programming should inform and educate the audience about music and culture. Jazz, world music, drama, the arts and ideas and religious programming should feature in its output."

And a more detailed version: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/...13/radio_3.pdf

First time I have read it! I would certainly remind some poducers about section 4 - Enriching cultural Life in UK.....

That doesn't leave a great deal of room for change, does it?
                Last edited by Quarky; 02-04-14, 22:08.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Petroc and Katie (for amusement value) can stay but would pay off SMP, Sean and Tom Service.

New music on the station to be curated by FHG and Bryn.

New director of Proms Bayan Northcott.

Interpretations on Record to be reinstated.

Pay rises and increased roles for Sir Jonathan Swain and Martin Handley.

Verity sharp back for Late Junction.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Bring back Interpretations on Record , add an archive hour of talks from the past , restore interval talks to concerts ,introduce a programme for children and restore Opera on 3 to saturdays , bring back a dedicated light music programme and introduce a proper programme for listeners to put forward their choices .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I don't have a problem with the non classical programmes at all - the drama can often be outstanding but I think it should go back to 7pm on Sunday nights and Free Thinking should be on every night . If Private Passions is to stay it should not follow on directly from Desert Island Discs on R4 two almost identical programmes at once .

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

Unfortunately life isn't that simple in UK.
                        Thank whoever
                        it's a terrible thing and a sign of what happens when very dodgy people end up in charge

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I can't remember if it's JS or RC who puts the emphasis in sentences in the most unexpected places. Whichever it is, he'd be on my list (for the chop).

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

P45s - PT,SR,KD,SMP and CBH.
                            Offer jobs to - FHG,Roehre,MrGG,Bryn,Suffolkcoastal,JLW.
                            Get rid - everything from the start of breakfast until the end of in tune (except lunchtime concerts),the news,the charts,tweeting,talking b####x.
                            Bring back - Discovering music (the proper one,not the 20 minute one),interpretations on record,talking about music,sounds interesting,morning concert,homeward bound.
                            Ban - bleeding chunks (full works only).
                            Sort out - the Proms,I'd put Roehre in charge of that project.
                            Start - a weekly programme dedicated to neglected British composers.

Where do I sign ?
                            Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 02-04-14, 22:36.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              P45s - PT,SR,KD,SMP and CBH.
                              Offer jobs to - FHG,Roehre,MrGG,Bryn,Suffolkcoastal,JLW.
                              Get rid - everything from the start of breakfast until the end of in tune (except lunchtime concerts),the news,the charts,tweeting,talking b####x.
                              Bring back - Discovering music (the poper one,not the 20 minute one),interpretations on record,talking about music,sounds interesting,morning concert,homeward bound.
                              Ban - bleeding chunks (full works only).
                              Sort out - the Proms,I'd put Roehre in charge of that project.
                              Start - a weekly programme dedicated to neglected British composers.

Where do I sign ?

Sounds good to me

Comment

Working...
                              X