X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

Opera on 3 - Live from the Met

I enjoy the music but is it part of the deal that we have to endure the ghastly American accent of the presenter?
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.
  • Richard Tarleton

In a word, yes - this is as it says on the tin, a live broadcast which comes as a package. Margaret Juntwait succeeded Peter Allen a few years ago - he too was smoothness personified and could be regarded as an acquired taste, you either like their style or you don't

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I'm fairly sure there was a time - 20 or more years ago - when Radio 3 did its own commentary, and Peter Allen was faded out and in, before and after. I don't mind Margaret Juntwait too much - but the dialogue between her and Ira is so patently scripted that I find it very artificial.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Having the authentic voice of the American who is introducing the work from the Met is hardly something we can complain about. Would we expect an American to introduce Proms broadcasts over there? I think not.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Agreed. We also save ourselves much anguish if we recognise that American is now the dominant world dialect of English!

Comment

• Cavaradossi

Not this old chestnut again. Of course it's part of the package. If you don't like it listen via France Musique, they talk over the Met Presenters.

Also good for listening again, they tend to cover most of the Met Season.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cavaradossi View Post
              Not this old chestnut again.
              Filbert?

Comment

• Don Basilio
                • Nov 2010

Wasn't Ira Madame Vera Galuppi-Borsch in the dear old Gran Scena Opera Company?

I just lurve the presenters. It is probably my memory playing tricks, but I'm sure I remember Peter Allen commenting on some soprano singing Aida at the Met and then later singing someone else at Chicago or wherever: "Today a slave girl: tomorrow a princess. That's opera." Wonderful.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Agreed. We also save ourselves much anguish if we recognise that American is now the dominant world dialect of English!
                  That's only because there are more Americans than British. Recognising this does not diminish the anguish

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
                    I enjoy the music but is it part of the deal that we have to endure the ghastly American accent of the presenter?
                    Well, as it's from the Met in New York, New York, USA, the accent is presumably non-negotiable

Comment

• Cavaradossi

[QUOTE=Don Basilio;36902]Wasn't Ira Madame Vera Galuppi-Borsch in the dear old Gran Scena Opera Company?

For Don B, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHpw...ure=%20related

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Basilio View Post
                        Wasn't Ira Madame Vera Galuppi-Borsch in the dear old Gran Scena Opera Company?
                        Yes he was. She was the world's first & (as far as I know), only 'traumatic soprano'

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Go to http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...s-quot-Armida- if you want a discussion of the opera, rather than moans about the presenters.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Basilio
                              • Nov 2010

Thank you Cavaradossi. Memories of the Bloomsbury Theatre flooding back.

Comment

Working...
                              X