Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Well, I did see it, & had (stull have) mixed feelings about it. My first reaction was disappointment, although I can now see more in it than I initially thought. The producer's comments in the programme all made sense - unfortunately they didn't get translated convincingly on the stage. The idea that Parsifal broke through into the world of the grail like a meteor makes sense, but its literal translation as a meteor protruding through the back wall from the start, which then moved out to allow Parsifal to climb through the hole, didn't. The missing Grail was less problematic, & the rail track made an arresting image & also seemed to work as, again, a suggestion that Parsifal didn't really belong in that world, especially at the end when he walked off, following Kundry.

Musically I thought it was good, except for John Tomlinson as Gurnemanz, who was, unfortunately (as he is such a prominent character), plain bad. Very wobbly & stretched almost beyond his vocal powers. His personification of the chatracter was good, though - a rather doddery old man, who seemed to be rather bewildered by what was happening to the Grail knights.

The ending was very grim & downbeat - Amfortas had evicted Titurel's corpse from his tomb & retired there himself. When Parsifal appeared (along the railway) Amfortas passed the crown to him, whereupon Parsifal laid it on Titurel's corpse. Gurnemanz took the spear & held it up for the knights, who crowded round it. Kundry walked off along the railway, followed by Parsifal. Some of the knights on the outskirts of the crowd looked round & followed him. It all gave the impression that, far from the Knights of the Grail, & the cult, being re-invigorated by Parsifal's return, it & they were finished completely.

Comment

Working...
    X