• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Hippolyte et Aricie at Glyndebourne

Has anyone been to this yet?

I'm going in August... and my heart just sank into my boots on seeing this photo of the opening scene:

Looks like they've hired Gordon Bennett as designer again...

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I'm going to the relay on July 25th.

I'm not paying enough for my ticket to mind having to look at the odd refrigerator!

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Eyes wide shut, thinking of England, Cali. As so often necessary.
      None of that problem at the Longborough Ring. Gotterdammerung this pm.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
        • Nov 2010

Caliban:

Will be togging up and scooting along on August 1st. Is that your day as well?
        The reviews on the Glyndebourne website are mixed but not as damning as the reviews for Ariadne which were nearly 100% against. I see that by yesterday morning there were still 105 seats available for purchase for last night's Ariadne...and for H&A on August 1st there are still some 120 seats on offer. There would seem to be a fair amount of resistance to these productions.

To counter our disappointment with Ariadne (I doubt that production will ever see the light of day again) we snaffled a couple of restricted view seats for Marriage of Figaro at £75 each for the end of July.
        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          Eyes wide shut, thinking of England, Cali. As so often necessary.
          How true that is Wish I'd spent the cash on tickets to the test match yesterday instead

PS: Baxo: I think we're at the one after that.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Might go to the relay. The music is pleasant. Our seats in the hall had a very restricted view, so at least in the cinema we should be able to see inside the fridge and maybe around the sides. Diana sings at length suspended above the stage near the end.

Verdi's Falstaff was perhaps the best of this year's offerings which we saw. Ariadne - well with one's eyes shut the last half hour was sublime, but the goings on stagewise were totally whacky.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Diana sings at length suspended above the stage near the end.
              Is this all part of the willing suspension of disbelief?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Is this all part of the willing suspension of disbelief?

Either that or the work of a tuxedo'd lynch mob

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Caliban
                  Will this bring your heart back out of your boots? Or….
                  Hippolyte et Aricie was Rameau's first work for the stage, written when he was nearly 50 and first performed in Paris in 1733. Glyndebourne's new production - its first ever Rameau - is directed by Jonathan Kent, designed by Paul Brown and conducted by William Christie, "the greatest Rameau interpreter of our time".

I think I’ll stick to Emmanuel Haim’s (for the time being).
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

All the same, I am very much looking forward to reading your and BoD’s reviews.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

I'm hoping to have a look at the relay as well (possibly in a cinema). In these sweltering conditions, the singers may be quite glad of a fridge - but why can't the audience have one as well?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                      Caliban
                      Hippolyte et Aricie was Rameau's first work for the stage, written when he was nearly 50 and first performed in Paris in 1733. Glyndebourne's new production - its first ever Rameau - is directed by Jonathan Kent, designed by Paul Brown and conducted by William Christie, "the greatest Rameau interpreter of our time".

I think I’ll stick to Emmanuel Haim’s (for the time being).
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

All the same, I am very much looking forward to reading your and BoD’s reviews.

Having had a taster of Rameau live in the RAH on Sunday, I'm just looking forward to the music, nothing else...

(although I seem to be the only person in the world with an allergy to Sarah Connolly's voice )

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Having had a taster of Rameau live in the RAH on Sunday, I'm just looking forward to the music, nothing else...

(although I seem to be the only person in the world with an allergy to Sarah Connolly's voice )
                        Such a personal thing, response to voices, Cali. I love Connolly's. But I can't listen to Kathleen Ferrier! She sounds victimy in everything to me.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                          Caliban
                          Are you suggesting that Cali's heart will leap at the sight of lots of nice young men cavorting in their Y-fronts?

(& talking of h(e)arts, I notice that one scene has a stag hanging halfway up the wall. Most people are satisfied with having just the head ...)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Are you suggesting that Cali's heart will leap at the sight of lots of nice young men cavorting in their Y-fronts?

I was looking at the meat and veg, I didn't see the Y-fronts.... ahem ...erm... I mean....

.... what I mean is, I only remember giant cauliflowers and sausages, were there actual humans in that clip?

Comment

• David-G
                              • Mar 2012

I saw H&A last Thursday. It was a marvellous evening. We were a party of eight; and all of us came out on a high. There were, in truth, some aspects of the production which I might have wished different; but the whole thing was carried off with great panache, and much of the production impressed greatly. The music was marvellous; the singing was marvellous; the conducting was marvellous; and needless to say, the OAE played marvellously. I shall be going again in August, and am looking forward to it very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X