X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Rienzi to day

I will miss this as I'll be travelling (in a train, so not able to listen on the radio) for most of the time it will be on. If anybody records it I would be interested.
  • Bert Coules
    • Nov 2010

Wow. Did anyone else listen to this? I'm in a minority I know, but I think that Rienzi is a magnificent work: not merely for the many, many pre-choes of glories to come (there's a lot of Lohengrin in Rienzi) but in its own right. It's such a pity that its sheer size and scale keep it out of the mainstream repertory.

After Die Feen and Das Liebesverbot, Rienzi is simply amazing: a sudden tremendous explosion of genius and confidence and form-finding.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I listened to most, and will listen to all via the iPlayer, later. As mentioned earlier, I listened to and recorded to reel-to-reel the original FM broadcast, but no longer have either the tape or the means of playing it if I did [just realised my earlier mention of this was over at r3ok.com]. I have saved the mp2 from DAB, just in case the HD Sound version (like Britten's War Requiem a couple of Tuesdays ago) does not make it to the Listen Again facility on the iPlayer. I too think it a very fine work, no matter that Hitler thought likewise. That Red Ted was in charge of this performance is good enough for me. Great to be re-acquainted with this fine production. I did miss a little of the introductory chat, but will catch it later.
      Last edited by Bryn; 06-07-13, 22:59. Reason: Addendum.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

HD Sound version now up on the iPlayer Listen Again facility. Not to be missed.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Poor John Shea. Repeatedly, following Rienzi and the Chopin 3rd Piano Sonata on Saturday night, he referred to the composer Ms. Meredith Monk by use of the pronoun "he" or "his". Bad form there, John.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            HD Sound version now up on the iPlayer Listen Again facility. Not to be missed.
            Is the transfer of programmes to iPlayer using HD a bit hit and miss? I thought everything got done that way nowadays. Pity if not.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

The vast majority of Radio 3 programmes make it to the iPlayer in HD Sound without a hitch. However, occasionally one fails to appear, and both "HI" and "LO" bandwidth options present only the low c. 57kbps mono HE-AAC version. This was the case with the recent Live in Concert War Requiem. Despite the fault being reported (by more than one contributor here) both to the iPlayer team and the Live in Concert email address, nothing was done to resolve the problem within the 7 days of claimed availability.

Comment

Working...
              X