Charpentier's Medea (ENO) TONIGHT (18th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Charpentier's Medea (ENO) TONIGHT (18th)

Opera on 3 tonight
    I didn’t bother to look at the schedule, thinking it was all Wagner. Andrew M has just announced that it is Charpentier's Medea from ENO with Sarah Connolly as Medea. Why has there been no trailer when we need it?!
    Donald Macleod presents Charpentier's Medea performed at English National Opera.

Five stars from the Guardian
    Sarah Connolly gives the performance of her life in a this outstanding production of Charpentier's opera, writes Tim Ashley

[ed.] Not too sure about Charpentier in English, especially without seeing the stage. Still, it should be worth listening.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 18-05-13, 11:30.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that Ds. May listen or record,

Comment

• David-G
      • Mar 2012

I greatly enjoyed this - in fact, I saw it twice. Even without the staging to look at, I shall definitely listen. I have been looking forward to the broadcast.

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

I am enjoying it very much, it is like an old friend. The singing is excellent, the diction good, and the orchestra play like a baroque band. The dance music is infectious.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

I very much enjoyed it, although I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a hitherto undiscovered English Baroque masterpiece, as the singing sounded so very un-French (well, I suppose this was a bit obvious).

If only we had a TV station like Arte or Mezzo, this would definitely have been broadcast live. At least we heard it, so many thanks, Radio 3.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Just for a matter of interest: here is a ‘French version’ (concert perfirmance)
            Hervé Niquet & Le Concert Spirituel with every director’s sorceress Stéphanie d'Oustrac as Medee/Medea
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Very listenable but this is by no means to lessens the value of the ENO production.

[ed.] *Not the best expression but I hope it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
            X