X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Verdi Nabucco ROH

Any reports ? I shall be up in the slips tonight . Hope the vertigo will be worth it !
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Any reports ? I shall be up in the slips tonight . Hope the vertigo will be worth it !
    Absolutely worth it. I went twice, once with Nucci and once with Domingo. Wonderful singing, wonderful conducting, wonderful chorus, stage picture quite dramatic at times. The fire effect would have done Brunnhilde proud. I thought the costumes unnecessarily dreary, which would not really have mattered, except that it was that it was impossible to tell the Israelites and the Assyrians apart. Overall it was a terrific show. It would have been nice if when Nebuchadnezzar demanded "my sword" he was given a sword, rather than his overcoat! I shall also be at the ROH tonight, but to hear Marcus du Sautoy talking about the Magic Flute.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
      Absolutely worth it. I went twice, once with Nucci and once with Domingo.
      Name dropper! Who was conducting?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Name dropper! Who was conducting?

Nicola Luisotti... and a very decent job he does. For me, the stars were the Royal Opera Chrous, on superb form. The production? Unremittingly grey:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
          Nicola Luisotti... and a very decent job he does. For me, the stars were the Royal Opera Chrous, on superb form. The production? Unremittingly grey:

http://www.opera-britannia.com/index...iews&Itemid=16
          If you don't mind my saying so, a very fine review. I agree with most of what you say. Curiously, though, the production did not bother me as much as it did you, even though I was fully aware of its shortcomings. It did not seem to me that the producer was trying to impose his own view on the work; rather, that he did not have much of a view.

I think that perhaps Stonehenge was not the intended metaphor for Act 1. A cousin if mine said to me in the interval that the blocks were undoubtedly based on the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin. Having looked this up, I can see what she meant. And though I am not sure that I entirely concur with her view, this would give some meaning to the proceedings in the first act.

I do wish though that producers would institute a moratorium on knocking things over on the stage. This time it was blocks, usually it is chairs. It nearly always looks trite.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            ...it was impossible to tell the Israelites and the Assyrians apart...
            Especially when the men didn't even bother to take their kippas off when they were Assyrians!

I saw it in the cinema this evening and I agree, it was absolutely terrific.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it - baritenor he may be but Domingo acted the rest of the cast off the stage . Thought the Abigaille was just as she should be

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I enjoyed it - baritenor he may be but Domingo acted the rest of the cast off the stage . Thought the Abigaille was just as she should be
                Hiya Barbirollians,

I my view Nabucco was one of those early Verdi operas where only limited acting was necessary. As it has already been said I would have liked the two tribes to have worn different outfits so I could have told the difference easier. My cinema was as packed as I have seen it for an opera. It is usually the plays that get that size of audiance.

Comment

Working...
                X