• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Glyndebourne live streams August 2012

I thought it was worth posting a reminder about these (I recall them being mentioned before): live online streams of Figaro and the Ravel double bill this weekend:

On demand online until 17 August Purcell The Fairy Queen (Captured Live in 2009)

18:00 Friday 17 August Mozart Le nozze di Figaro LIVE
    18:30 Sunday 19 August Two short operas by Ravel LIVE

I'll be tuning into the Ravel. I've never been able to 'get' "L'Heure Espagnole" but "L'Enfant".
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

I'd recommend The Fairy Queen, having attended the performance last Sunday. A delight from start to end, effortlessly combining the lofty with the base. Pure entertainment.

Off to see the Ravel next week, which, for me, is the highlight of the season. L'enfant has the most sublime ending of any opera I know.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
      L'enfant has the most sublime ending of any opera I know.
      Il est bon, l'enfant, il est sage....

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

The Fairy Queen was sheer magic. So much so that I found a return ticket and went a second time. Highly recommended!!!

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

I had the joy of reviewing The Fairy Queen for Opera Britannia: http://www.opera-britannia.com/index...iews&Itemid=16 - what a fabulous show!

I've read great things about the Ravel double-bill, especially L'Enfant, and managed to grab an upper slips ticket for a performance next week.

I've tried watching the live streams - I even bought a cable to connect my laptop to the tv - but find it keeps jarring/ buffering and takes ages to load. Grrr.
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

The productions of the Ravel operas have been imported from the Paris Opera where I think they have been given a few times (indeed, the production of l'heure espagnole has been shown on Sky Arts).

Is this the first time that Glyndebourne have borrowed a production like this? Its normal modus operandi is to create its own productions.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Belgrove
              • Nov 2010

L'heure Espagnol is imported from Paris but l'enfant is home grown.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Just bumping as a reminder: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/inte...ne-live-stream

L'heure espagnole: 18:30-19.25 | Interval: 19:25-20.00 | L'enfant: 20:00- 20:52

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Figaro is apparently available on the Graun from Monday ...
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                    • Nov 2010

Just finished watching L'heure espagnole. Enjoyed it a lot, although maybe Ellliot Madore as Ramiro perhaps overplays the doofus-y angle of his character. Paul Gay as Don Inigo almost looks like a double for Gwynne Howell. Alex Shrader as Gonzalve looks like a current movie actor transplanted back several decades. Speaking of doppelgangers, Stephanie D'Oustrac almost looks like a second Veronique Gens, at least from pictures. Terrific singing from all, IMHO. It's also a real treat to hear Ravel's orchestral writing come over so well, so all praise to the LPO and KO. Less than 15 minutes until L'enfant et les sortileges, so back later.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                      • Mar 2007

Very enjoyable L'heure espagnole in the first half, followed by an utterly charming L'enfant et les sortilèges - anyone who doesn't well up at that final 'Maman!' lacks a heart. Laurent Pelly's production is inventive and is as perfect a realization of the opera as I can imagine. Clever sets/ costumes and incredibly effective, swift scene changes. Magic!
                      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Belgrove
                        • Nov 2010

It is difficult to imagine L'enfant receiving a more enchanting, witty or touching production and performance than I saw last night. Dazzling stagecraft and gorgeous playing of the bejewelled and sophisticated score by the LPO. It will be released on DVD next year. Pure sortileges.

Comment

• Belgrove
                          • Nov 2010

Glyndebourne are streaming the Ravel Double Bill from 5pm on 28/6/20 for a week.

L’enfant ... is equisite.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Caught up with this wonderful double-bill this afternoon... (thought I recalled a dedicated thread about it lately, but can’t find one).

Brings back attending the productions live, an enchanting evening in the theatre... One of the rare occasions I’ve been to the opera and found the productions living up to the standard of the music. Terrific, imaginative and moving stuff

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Caught up with this wonderful double-bill this afternoon... (thought I recalled a dedicated thread about it lately, but can’t find one).

Brings back attending the productions live, an enchanting evening in the theatre... One of the rare occasions I’ve been to the opera and found the productions living up to the standard of the music. Terrific, imaginative and moving stuff
                              Mentioned passim on What Classical Music Are You Listening to Now III (originally by Joseph, who had been listening to the Maazel recordings) then also on YouTube: the thread for interesting video links.
                              I should probably have posted it on the A Night at the Opera Forum, if not in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X