X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Verdi Rigoletto at the ROH 7.4.12

In the ROH's rather lacklustre season this revival stands out. The production may not be to all tastes but it suits the venality of the Duke of Mantua and his court and I thought the singing, playing and conducting by JEG were all outstanding.

Platanias's deep rich baritone made one feel sympathetic for the eponymous hero for once, Grigolo is ideal casting for the young,handsome but monstrous Duke and sang much better I felt here than in the recent Faust and Lucy Crowe a singer who I rate very highly in classical and baroque repertoire was a revelation as Gilda - wonderfully accurate and secure but such stylish singing. A touchingly innocent Caro Nome and superb in her death scene and stepping in at short notice to sing her first ever Gilda she deserved her thundering ovation

Highly recommended .
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Sounds good. Do you think it will be broadcast on R3 at some stage?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Prommer
      • Dec 2010

Er, the police are out tonight...unless it is on R3, forgeddaboudit....

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

9th June on R3 no guarantee it will be Lucy Crowe though . Ekaterins Siourina has sung most performances.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

the production (a revival) is OTT in the opening scene at the court - I was there earlier in the week and the first half appeared to be having some problems esp with speeds from JEG and with Ekaterins Siourina - post interval seemed to go better.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Lucy Crowe sings Gilda again on 21st apparently Siourina could not do these two Saturday's for personal reasons .

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

There's a live cinema relay on the 17th.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Mr Platanias on In Tune shortly

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  Mr Platanias on In Tune shortly
                  I caught the tail end of a snippet of his Rigoletto. He is rather good.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

I was there on Saturday as well, Barbirollians, and I entirely agree with you. I didn't know what to expect of Lucy Crowe in this repertoire. She was terrific. Platanias was deeply touching: Cortigiani, vil razza dannata in Act 2 had me close to tears, with the glorious cello accompaniment making me think, as I never had before, of a Bach Passion (no doubt partly because it was Holy Saturday and because JEG was conducting). And Grigolo was a lot better than I had expected, and only really showboated (briefly) in his curtain call. JEG's conducting of the score was revelatory and viscerally exciting, whilst holding things together much better than I had been led to expect. I'd now like to hear him conduct more Verdi (Otello, perhaps?)
                    The production seemed better lit and more coherent than in the past as well.
                    All in all, as you say, an outstanding evening in a rather lacklustre ROH season thus far. Let's hope that it's the start of a good run leading up to Les Troyens, Otello et al.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

As Platianas said on In Tune we all tend to associate JEG with Bach and Handel forgetting he ran the Lyons opera for years and has worked on Berg, Puccini, Verdi and Debussy to name a few. His DVD of the Paris Les Troyens is musically on a par with Colin Davis (and visually just as good if you like opera on DVDs. His Der Freischutz at the Proms was blistering.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

I agree with all that, Chris, in particular Les Troyens. I just haven't seen him conduct Verdi opera until now. When I said 'revelatory' I meant in relation to the score rather than to him!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I'm not a fan of "JEGgers Plays Bach", but I find his recordings of Berlioz remarkably successful.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I was a bit apprehensive about JEG conducting Rigoletto I must say but I think he did a fine job.

If you can get a ticket for the 21/4 I would urge anyone to do so.

Comment

• David-G
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              In the ROH's rather lacklustre season this revival stands out. The production may not be to all tastes but it suits the venality of the Duke of Mantua and his court and I thought the singing, playing and conducting by JEG were all outstanding.

Platanias's deep rich baritone made one feel sympathetic for the eponymous hero for once, Grigolo is ideal casting for the young,handsome but monstrous Duke and sang much better I felt here than in the recent Faust and Lucy Crowe a singer who I rate very highly in classical and baroque repertoire was a revelation as Gilda - wonderfully accurate and secure but such stylish singing. A touchingly innocent Caro Nome and superb in her death scene and stepping in at short notice to sing her first ever Gilda she deserved her thundering ovation

Highly recommended .
                              Barbirollians, thank you for this recommendation. I checked the Royal Opera web site today, and was delighted to find an Upper Slips ticket for Saturday 21st. I have always been very impressed with Lucy Crowe, but this is I think new territory for her. I am very much looking forward to hearing her in the role, and indeed to the whole performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X