• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

The Tales of Hoffman at ENO

Offenbach's masterwork is a difficult piece to bring off. The composer died before its completion. This version by Michael Kaye and Jean-Christophe Keck included some of both. The production is shared with the Bavarian Opera in Munich. ENO have made a convincing stab at it and I think with all its warts the opera is well worth performing. For a start it has such good meaty roles. I last saw the work at the Coliseum in the days of Sir Charles Mackerras when it was done with slightly less music and some of the orinal spoken dialogue replacing Giraud's unofficial recitative. In those days the beefy voiced William MacAlpine sang the title role. This time the diminuative of stature but gloriously Italianate voiced Barry Banks made everything of the role of Hoffman. Every phrase was coloured in gold and silver. His muse, Nicklausse, was dressed like Hoffmann would have been as a schoolboy straight from a Just William book and was outstandingly sung by Christine Rice. Clive Bayley sang all of the four villains who blight Hoffmann's love life with a terrifyingly satanic revelry. He looks and sounds very similar to Norman Bailey. Simon Butteris sang the four servant roles with astonishing variety including Cochenille (the dollmaker's assistant) in outrageous drag. Although usually a comic baritone Butteris managed the tenor tessitura of the roles with ease. Some of the fast costume/make-up changes necessitated having look-a-likes on stage but this was used to terrifying advantage at one point by director Richard Jones when the stage suddenly fills with devilish copies of Clive Bayley who actually come on last.

In this production the tale of Hoffmann and Olympia the doll came first rather than last. This made sense with the sensational star of the show singing Olympia. American soprano Georgia Jarman is a discovery and her coloratura rivals that of Sutherland and Dessay. Richard Jones avoided the corny joke about the doll's spring running out and getting Cochenille to wind it up. Instead Jarman started to slow down and then creakily find herself again. The result: immaculate singing. Then she was able to use a bigger voice for the later roles she sang without straining the coloratura register. Having Giulietta's brothel scene last meant that Hoffman was able to initially be more cautious towards the devilry of Dapertutto as he appeared to have learnt from the previous acts and then fall horrifyingly for the trick.

There were a few creaky moments. The chorus have some weak spots. One make-up or scene change seems to take longer than planned and an acrobat dressed as a gorilla improvised for several minutes to pass the time. Australian Conductor Antony Walker sees that the work goes with all of its devilish charms.
  • operafan

Good decent review, worthy of a national newspaper! For me, this This show was like the curates egg... good in parts.....

Wanted to share something with other opera lovers...

I am stunned to see an employee of ENO being "used" to extole the virtues of the show - and she does in such glowing terms.....is this normal for ENO to use singers known to them to critique their productions?
    I am told that they do such vox pop videos after Dress Rehearsals, but why didnt the idiots in the Press Dept know or take care to check, or edit this out?
    Are they saying they dont know they are using a singer they are employing "posing" as a member of the public? Or do they do this all the time?
    I believe in Italy they would call this person a member of The Claque !

So the lesson is, read reviews here and ignore the ENO hyped vox pop reviews...!!
    The people being asked to participate are NOT a real audience as we are being led to believe!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Chris do you by any chance remember the fine ENO production from circa 1972? I have fond memories of that.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

An interesting review, Chris. I particularly agree re Georgia Jarman's outstanding performance. I posted a link to my own on this thread...
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Chris do you by any chance remember the fine ENO production from circa 1972? I have fond memories of that.
          I do indeed, Richard. It first played on August 20th 1970 with Nicholas Braithwaite conducting and Colin Graham directing. They had amalgamated the Sadlers and Wells companies as the Sadlers Wells Opera then so the available chorus and orchestra were pretty big. Sadly that stopped the touring when would take one company out into the provinces for a fortnight whilst the other played at the Coli. Tales of Hoffman was in rep for a long time. Anne Evans sang three of the girls and mimed Olympia. In early performances Rhonda Bruce and later Marion Studholme (who was disabled but widely recorded and sang from her wheelchair) sang the voice of the doll from behind a screen. Katherine Pring was Nicklausse. Geoffrey Chard, a fine rich bass-baritone sang the villains; it was a shame for us that he moved to Australia. Charles Mackerras conducted some of the later performances. I have one programme where I pencilled in that Noel Davis conducted because Sir Charles had been rushed into hospital in Malta whilst on holiday with a burst appendix. I remeber he missed some Proms as well. Francis Egerton sang the lovely little tenor parts and as I mentioned earlier William MacAlpine (a stalwart of Scottish Opera) sang Hoffmann. Other parts were taken by Anne Collins, Georgetta Psaros (they both sang the Barcarolle on a gondola if I remember well enough), Norman Welsby and John Fryatt. I have lots of programmes on my shelf but did not always put the ticket stubs so I am not always sure of dates.

There are moments in the trio in the Olympia scene where you expect it to turn int a wild version of the scherzo from Bruckner's Eighth.

IGI, in your review you ask about the three students. I too was puzzled until my daughter said "They are the watchers. They observe the whole thing, Luther's pub and Hoffman telling his tales. They seem to symbolise us or them, the students, (or us watching them) and in a modern way remind us that they will have been in the pub all the time with Hoffmann and his audience."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
            Anne Evans sang three of the girls and mimed Olympia. In early performances Rhonda Bruce and later Marion Studholme (who was disabled but widely recorded and sang from her wheelchair) sang the voice of the doll from behind a screen. Katherine Pring was Nicklausse. Geoffrey Chard, a fine rich bass-baritone sang the villains; it was a shame for us that he moved to Australia. Charles Mackerras conducted some of the later performances. "
            Chris I'm most grateful for this as my programmes have not survived. In particular for confirming it was indeed Anne Evans, whom I saw several times as Brunnhilde in the 1990s (and once as Isolde). I thought it was she. I also have an idea she was in my first ever opera, Boheme, at Sadlers Wells in the late 60's - could this be true?

Comment

Working...
            X