• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Der Rosenkavalier at ENO

I missed this production first time around and have made up for it on Friday. David McVicar's set is fairly simple and readily morphs into the three rooms required by virtue of each owners' perceived need for ostentation. The Feldmarschallin's chamber like herself is a trifle run-down but of course being a princess she has no need to show off too much. The addition of masses more gold drapes show Herr von Faninal's desperation to impress. The inn is just plain seedy. McVicar's direction glides like clockwork with nothing unnecessary to distract. The small parts are handled well. Jaewoo Kim's Italian Singer being typical of a string of thoroughly excellent portrayals.

Sir John Tomlinson makes Baron Ochs boorish without overdoing the vulgarity so that the merest gesture raises a good laugh. His big voice is as clear as a bell, every word coming over. Like the best of Malvolios or Beckmessers the audience feel some affection for him as the trickery imposed upon him seems so harsh. It is a wonderful Indian Summer for such a fine singer. Sophie Bevan is a delight as her namesake, Faninal's daughter. Such sweetness of voice and strength of acting prove she is a singer that should go far. Amanda Roocroft acts the Marschallin brilliantly, touching in her bravery of gesture towards the young lovers and the aristocratic power she demonstrates to the unbelievingly vain Ochs. The rough quality of her upper voice added to the character, only becoming a real problem in the final trio. As for Sarah Connolly's Octavian, she is one of those Rosenkavaliers who truly and rightly dominates the opera. Her breeches acting is of the best and her double-drag act as Mariandel is hilarious where she adopts a Mummerset accent. Sumptuous of voice, singing of this calibre makes this an operatic experience to treasure.

Edward Gardner extracts international playing from the ENO orchestra and superb singing from the chorus. It would be a joy to hear this band have a go at something like Eine Alpensinfonie!

I noticed the Director of Radio 3 sitting a couple of rows behind me. I hope R3 broadcasts one of the performances.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
    I missed this production first time around and have made up for it on Friday. David McVicar's set is fairly simple and readily morphs into the three rooms required by virtue of each owners' perceived need for ostentation. The Feldmarschallin's chamber like herself is a trifle run-down but of course being a princess she has no need to show off too much. The addition of masses more gold drapes show Herr von Faninal's desperation to impress. The inn is just plain seedy. McVicar's direction glides like clockwork with nothing unnecessary to distract. The small parts are handled well. Jaewoo Kim's Italian Singer being typical of a string of thoroughly excellent portrayals.

Sir John Tomlinson makes Baron Ochs boorish without overdoing the vulgarity so that the merest gesture raises a good laugh. His big voice is as clear as a bell, every word coming over. Like the best of Malvolios or Beckmessers the audience feel some affection for him as the trickery imposed upon him seems so harsh. It is a wonderful Indian Summer for such a fine singer. Sophie Bevan is a delight as her namesake, Faninal's daughter. Such sweetness of voice and strength of acting prove she is a singer that should go far. Amanda Roocroft acts the Marschallin brilliantly, touching in her bravery of gesture towards the young lovers and the aristocratic power she demonstrates to the unbelievingly vain Ochs. The rough quality of her upper voice added to the character, only becoming a real problem in the final trio. As for Sarah Connolly's Octavian, she is one of those Rosenkavaliers who truly and rightly dominates the opera. Her breeches acting is of the best and her double-drag act as Mariandel is hilarious where she adopts a Mummerset accent. Sumptuous of voice, singing of this calibre makes this an operatic experience to treasure.

Edward Gardner extracts international playing from the ENO orchestra and superb singing from the chorus. It would be a joy to hear this band have a go at something like Eine Alpensinfonie!

I noticed the Director of Radio 3 sitting a couple of rows behind me. I hope R3 broadcasts one of the performances.
    Sounds quite ab evening, Chris - many thanks for your review

I too hope that Radio 3 manages to broadcast it

Although wasn't ENO 'best friends' with Sky at one time?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

It is a wonderful production - I saw it three times at Scottish Opera, & Octavian's arrival in act 2 never failed to send shivers down my spine (& a tear to the eye). The third act trio of course goes with out saying. I don't remember Baron Ochs as being particularly boorish; just a bit 'rugger-bugger'-ish - he was considerably younger than dear old John T would be, which, of course, makes his prospective marriage to Sophie a bit more feasible (& the 'maid' being so willing to meet him - his title wouldn't have been such an enticement there)

Am, it will be rather irritating if Radio3 decide to broadcast it now it's in London, when they couldn't be bothered during its outings in Scotland.
      Last edited by Flosshilde; 19-02-12, 23:55.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        It is a wonderful production - I saw it three times at Scottish Opera, & Octavian's arrival in act 2 never failed to send shivers down my spine (& a tear to the eye). The third act trio of course goes with out saying. I don't remember Baron Ochs as being particularly boorish; just a bit 'rugger-bugger'-ish - he was considerably younger than dear old John T would be, which, of course, makes his prospective marriage to Sophie a bit more feasible (& the 'maid' being so willing to meet him - his title wouldn't have been such an enticement there)

Am, it will be rather irritating if Radio3 decide to broadcast it now it's in London, when they couldn't be bothered during its outings in Scotland.
        Point taken, Flossie (I wasn't aware of its history) but Chris' review has whetted my appetite

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I wasn't suggesting that they shouldn't broadcast it . On the radio it's the performance that matters, anyway - not that the SO didn't have some cracking singers, & the orchestra was pretty good under Richard Armstrong. & it would possibly have been Radio Scotland's responsibility, & I'm afraid they just aren't interested.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

So disappointed I'll miss this. Convalescing. Bought the ticket months ago.

Good friend going in my stead.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              So disappointed I'll miss this. Convalescing. Bought the ticket months ago.

Good friend going in my stead.
              I hope the convalescing goes well, verismissimo!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I hope the convalescing goes well, verismissimo!
                And from me, too.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks both. So far so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X