X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

The Rape of Lucretia - ROH

The Rape of Lucretia has transferred from Snape Maltings to the Linbury Theatre. It is the first production that I’ve seen by Oliver Mears, the Director of Opera at the ROH. It’s very content makes it a brave work to stage, but its difficult subject confronts issues that will always, sadly, be current. As a work of drama it is hobbled by Ronald Duncan’s libretto, which is overwrought and strives for a high literary quality which fails to serve adequately the subject. In addition it is saddled with an odd Christian gloss from the Chorus who narrate the tale, which is anachronistic and of little merit. To Mears’ credit, he partially solves that problem by casting doubt on its message. Musically it is in another league altogether. Britten’s chamber sized orchestration is exquisite, presaging that of The Turn of the Screw - one can also hear pre-echos of the Nocturne, and for the larger ensemble he wrote for the Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Mears does a good job in making dramatic sense of the clunky scenario by updating it to the present and portraying the Chorus as members of an evangelical Christian sect who present the tale as a dubious case study of virtue and fidelity. The three males are combat troops who we first see entering a domestic apartment with a woman they have abducted, whom they humiliate, brutalise and violate. It’s very uncomfortable to watch. This incident serves to show Collatinus’ (Anthony Reed) forgiveness of Lucretia as an entirely hollow and sanctimonious act. Tarquinius (Jolyon Loy), is suffering from PTSD from his combat experiences, but is nevertheless toxic, arrogant masculinity personified. Junius (Kieran Rayner) is a weadler who uses Lucretia’s suicide for his own political purposes, in a shamefully disgraceful way. There is nothing noble or redeeming in any of these character’s actions. By comparison Lucretia is a paragon of domestic virtue who we first see in the spinning song being interviewed for some Hello life-style feature. Anne Marie Stanley’s rich contralto contrasts with her servants - Britten writes skilfully for all the voice-types in this opera.

The cast are drawn from the Jette Parker or Britten Pears schemes for younger performers. They are exemplary, both for their singing and acting - these must be very difficult and uncomfortable roles for the performers to portray. The Aurora Orchestra was in the pit, conducted by Corinna Niemeyer. Britten’s remarkable orchestration was revealed in all its subtlety and power. The writing for the harp can be beautifully lyrical, only to turn to a deeply unsettling, brain-turning-worm that ramps up the tension.

It’s the first time I’ve been to the Linbury since its refurbishment. It’s now a very beautiful small theatre with good sight lines, and the wooden interior creates a warm clear acoustic.

So this is definitely not a feel-good show, but an important piece of theatre that makes a strong case for what is a flawed work. This adds to the high quality productions of Britten’s operas that the ROH has produced in the last few years.
  • Master Jacques
    • Feb 2012

Thank you for such a full and clear review of the Snape/Linbury production.

I've often found myself wondering why, when we make such allowances for 18th and 19th century libretti, we can sometimes be quick to condemn a perfectly good one written three-quarters of a century ago, simply because its style, concerns and social attitudes are light years distanced from our own. It sounds from your description as if Oliver Mears has fallen straight into this bear trap, and come up with a clichéd critique of the opera, rather than attempting the more difficult task of serving its text and music fairly.

The Rape of Lucretia is (as you say) a difficult subject, which is why it has fascinated so many writers and composers in the course of the last five hundred years or so. Duncan's text is based squarely on a French verse drama which sets out to transcend the repellent action, by framing it poetically within the idea of Christian tragedy. Duncan and Britten ask whether true tragedy is possible, when we are all redeemed in Christ. That is the vital question here, with male violence relegated to a "given", rather than treated as the subject of the opera.

So Ronald Duncan's Christian frame is surely not so much a "gloss", but the reason why the opera was written. The action exemplifies a problem, and the six onstage characters each find a different solution in it, moral or otherwise. The Male and Female Chorus observe quietly, struggling to make sense (emotional and spiritual) of what they see and hear. It is a profoundly lovely conceit, and to portray them as wacky fundamentalists pedalling a moral is to falsify and coarsen the subtleties of their arguments and therefore the whole work. Britten's extraordinary final bars (a dawn chorus, but reflecting the despairing "is it all?") leaves it open to us, as individuals within the audience, as to whether Christian redemption is possible, or not. It most certainly does not hard sell Duncan's Christian standpoint; and for a production to hammer home one answer for us is to ruin the composer's subtle balance, and the audience's role in the experience.

Similarly, the guying of the soldiers' scene ("soldiers are bastards") sounds like an all-too-easy piece of reductive snobbery. Just as we seem to consider ourselves above the inanity of religion, we like to think we have uttered the last word on the sexes, gender and sexual morality. Isn't this unwise? At all events, it is no way to treat a daring and balanced work of art, which contains horror and beauty in equal measure. And this beauty is not confined to Lucretia and the women: it's no accident that Britten gives the most serene and sublime aria in the work to Tarquinius, of all people, as he is about to commit his unspeakable crime. That is what art does. And even he, perhaps, may be redeemed in Christ.

Junius is the only wholly despicable character in the work, as you point out, his political pragmatism and malicious revenge providing the mainsprings of the plot. As for that noble and sensitive stick Collatinus (certainly all these things in Britten and Duncan) he is given one of the most ambiguous and disturbing lines in the work: "If spirit’s not given, there is no need of shame." Oddly enough, this happens to be the title of an 18th century Spanish zarzuela on the Lucretia subject (Donde hay violencia, no hay culpa by José de Nebra) which I'm currently writing about; and I assume both librettists took it from Ovid. Does the husband have the right to judge, one way or the other? Or is it solely a decision for the woman? That is the question here, and one which Duncan and Britten tackle with even-handed courage, no matter how far Oliver Mears (and our own social mores) may have loaded the dice.

I find Duncan's libretto, despite its occasional poetic excesses, a wonderfully thoughtful and open vehicle for Britten's score. The Rape of Lucretia may have its faults, but they are not the faults Oliver Mears points up in (what sounds like) a slick but superficial response to the material.

Comment

• ChandlersFord
      • Dec 2021

I've heard that this production attempts to reference Ukraine - which, I'l admit, does put me off a bit.

Comment

• Belgrove
        • Nov 2010

Many thanks for your detailed and considered response Master Jacques. I fear my review has given the wrong impression, for I failed to convey the subtleties and ambiguities contained in the work, that you carefully exemplify, that this production remains faithful to. But in any production I have seen (not many admittedly, it’s a fairly rare beast), the Christian element fails to convince either contextually or dramatically. It doesn’t here, entirely, but it does a better job than any other I’ve seen; it’s certainly not coarse. Irrespective of the production, it’s musical values are high, indeed without fault. I’d urge folk to see it themselves and make up their own mind.

In answer to ChandlersFord, the setting is contemporary, but there is no overt connection with Ukraine. That does not make it any less harrowing to watch.

Comment

• Master Jacques
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
          Many thanks for your detailed and considered response Master Jacques. I fear my review has given the wrong impression, for I failed to convey the subtleties and ambiguities contained in the work, that you carefully exemplify, that this production remains faithful to. But in any production I have seen (not many admittedly, it’s a fairly rare beast), the Christian element fails to convince either contextually or dramatically. It doesn’t here, entirely, but it does a better job than any other I’ve seen; it’s certainly not coarse. Irrespective of the production, it’s musical values are high, indeed without fault. I’d urge folk to see it themselves and make up their own mind.
          Thank you, Belgrove. I believe Duncan and Britten wanted us to think - not so much about Christian conversion therapy - but about its relationship to theatre, specifically tragedy. And by extension, whether it could help us cope with questions of morality, and with death, which gets us all in the end. That orchestral postlude ("is it all?") chips away at the Male Chorus's hopeful "it is not all", to keep us thinking as well as feeling about those questions. If we decide that the two strands don't connect, that's of course perfectly valid. Even Britten is not sure, which is perhaps the point!

At the time both 'high art' theatre and religion were deeply ingrained in European culture, and the question of their relationship was thought important, as a reflection of the way we lived (c.f. George Steiner's superb book, The Death of Tragedy.) In 2022, when 'tragedy' has no special meaning beyond 'personal sadness', when 'high art' scarcely exists in social consciousness, and when the Christian religion is laid out on the tapas table with all the other world religions, we're not centrally interested in these matters. So I agree the opera has its work cut out to connect - thus directors tend to choose opt-outs, to undercut the Christian tragedy elements ironically, and make the piece somehow "about" other matters which do concern us, providing alternative answers about which we've seemingly made up our collective minds. I'm glad to read from you, that Oliver Mears's production does after all retain a sense of the work's ambiguities.
          Last edited by Master Jacques; 18-11-22, 10:48.

Comment

• Belgrove
            • Nov 2010

To be broadcast this coming Saturday on Opera on 3 at 18.30:
            Britten's The Rape of Lucretia, recorded at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
              To be broadcast this coming Saturday on Opera on 3 at 18.30:
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001fdvt
              I was due to see this tonight, but have just received a message from the Opera House to say that it has been cancelled due to illness.

I see from the R3 schedule that Saturday's broadcast was due to be recorded this week. If that means this evening’s performance the broadcast may be in jeopardy, unless they have sensibly recorded an earlier performance as a back-up.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Don’t understand the criticism of Duncan’s libretto. I don’t find it all overwrought and thanks to the superb diction of the male singers so far (I’m listening “live “ on an hour’s delay) I can make out most of the words on tonight’s relay.

Comment

Working...
                X