X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Catalani's La Wally at Holland Park

My first La Wally. And, I suspect, most of the large and enthusiastic audience's too. (The first professional production in London, I believe, though I see it was done in Manchester in 1919.)

What a pity it is that the libretto is so improbable and unmanageable. You'd never suspect from this one that Catalani's librettist was one of the greatest in operatic history, Luigi Illica, who wrote for Puccini Manon Lescaut, La boheme, Madama Butterfly and Tosca.

Each of those works cast an intense spell, pulling relentlessly at the heartstrings. But in La Wally, whilst I thought Catalani's music was consistently intense and dramatic, the dramatic situation never touched the heart.

Of course, Puccini was not only a great composer, but also a fine judge of what would work and what would not on the stage, bullying his librettists mercilessly. Maybe Catalani was just too nice to do that?

Toscanini, who knew both composers well and championed their operas, preferred Catalani and named his daughter Wally.

Anyone else seen it?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

no but wasn't there a rather good French movie in which the aria was sung fairly incessantly ...was it a thriller even?

..and what i originally meant to post was how is the auditorium at Holland Park standing up to the wear and tear of time ..not sure when it opened but certainly was going there in the mid 70s ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

I think the film was called "Diva"

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

..indeed it was and thank you Roslynmuse

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Could I draw attention to IGI's post about this production, with a link to his review?

I won't move these over to the other thread, but perhaps I should start a poll on whether we should have an opera sub-forum
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Sorry I missed IGI's post, Frank. Maybe if we start an opera sub-forum, we might consider closing the least used of the existing ones?

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Wonderful Angela Gheorghiu in That Aria at the Last Night of the Proms in 2003:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Definitive Tebaldi recording currently a snip on Amazon

Catalani: La Wally by Alfredo Catalani, Fausto Cleva, Turin Lyric Chorus, Monte Carlo National Opera Orchestra and Renata Tebaldi (Audio CD - 1999) (the recording dates from the late 60's
                Buy new: £7.97

25 new from £4.43 3 used from £3.54

Download MP3 Album: £7.49
                Get it by Saturday, Aug 13 if you order in the next 23 hours and choose express delivery

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

It's an excellent recording. Have you been to the Holland Park production, RT?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                    It's an excellent recording. Have you been to the Holland Park production, RT?
                    No sadly I've never been to a live La Wally. I think it's a terrific opera. I'm sorry I didn't know this was on or I might have travelled up for it - I see it's on tonight - rats! I've thought for a long time that the avalanche should be no problem with lighting and/or back projection of a real avalanche - how did they do it verismissimo?

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Holland Park was as low-tech as could be in representing the Alps, the avalanche etc. There was a vast white sheet with guy lines attached at strategic points, so that at a moment's notice the mountains could rear up, a crevasse appear, the avalanche be suggested. Very inventive, I thought, but imagine what Hollywood could achieve these days!

The singing was nowhere close to the quality of Tebaldi, Del Monaco and Cappuccilli, but then I didn't expect it would be.

Have you heard Frances Alda's aria (recorded 1912) from Catalani's Lorelei? Simply wonderful.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thank you! Lovely.

Comment

Working...
                        X