X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Live from the MET: Manon

I’d never seen Manon before this cinema showing. Rather long, but very good nevertheless. Lisette Oropesa was very good as Manon, and Michel Fabiano was a matching Chevalier des Grieux. There were a few minor blemishes, and I felt that some of the French wasn’t quite pronounced authentically, but as I’m not French I’ll leave it there, or be prepared to be shot down.

The additional features were different and interesting this time. Firstly there was a “view” from the rather cramped prompter’s box, which I’d not been aware of before. Then there was a discussion and view of the broadcast and scenes inside the broadcast van. About 75 people work on the broadcast team - a lot of work to get these operas show worldwide. Very impressive.

Apart from the opera productions themselves, sometime the additional insights into the mechanisms and techniques behind the curtain are well worth going to these Live screenings for. If you missed this one, it could be worth looking for a repeat Encore production, particularly if you’ve not seen/heard Manon before and you also have the time.

This really was the Massenet version! (or so I’m led to believe - as I don’t know the Puccini one either) ..
    Last edited by Dave2002; 27-10-19, 13:46.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Oh no, I missed it. Manon has long been a particular favourite.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Musically it was absolutely superb. Better then the recent ROH Werther I think with Oropesa’s Manon quite exceptional.

Comment

Working...
      X