X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Live from the Met: Turandot

Turandot tonight was a visual feast, courtesy of Franco Zeffirelli. Amazing.

Aurally it was good too - given the constraints of cinema sound. The cast was generally excellent, though I personally particularly liked the tenor Yusif Eyvazov. The other major parts, sung by Christine Goerke, James Morris, and Eleonora Buratto were pretty good too.

I was surprised we didn't get an interview with Ping, Pang and Pong in the intermissions though.

I have never seen such a lavish production and set before.

Brilliant!
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Contemplated going to this, but thought that the cost, even with membership discount, excessive.
    So for less money we had front row dress circle seats at our local theatre: Arthur Miller's A view from the bridge, which was very good indeed.
    And even that meant missing the Guildhall orchestra in a concert of Strauss (Heldenleben), Prokofiev (one of the violin concertos), and Sibelius (S7).

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I think some might even find it worthwhile taking a flight over to NYC to see this production.

What also amazes me is the amount of work which goes on behind the curtain at the Met, plus the fact that it would have all had to be undone and a new set installed for the evening performance of a Verdi opera.

Comment

Working...
      X