• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Gianni Schicchi & The Rite of Spring; ON, Thurs, 28/2/19

An unusual double bill which proved to be unusually successful. This isn't the first time Opera North has become Ballet North (they did a production of The Nutcracker a couple of Christmases ago) but this was their first collaboration with Phoenix Dance Theatre (the country's oldest contemporary dance company outside London - it, too, is based in Leeds). I don't fully "get" ballet/dance (I'm often not quite sure whether what I'm seeing is supposed to be representative or abstract) but the movements of the eight dancers, choreographed by Jeanguy Saintus, were powerful and often beautiful, with clever use, too, of lighting - not sure about the "Marigold Gloves" effect of the pink-dyed hands, though. Impeccable performance of Stravinsky's score from the ON Orchestra, too, of course, conducted by Garry Walker - and a full house, consisting of a wide age-range, and a greater ethnic diversity than I have ever seen at an ON production.

The Dance fans stayed on for a superb performance of Puccini's one-act-er, too, and, judging from the applause at the end, loved every minute of it. It was hilarious - director Christopher Alden created a brilliantly imaginative production, combining the character of Dante himself with much visual humopur based on phone selfies - but which fitted perfectly with the story. Aerialist Tim Claydon doubled as Dante and the ill-fated (especially with this family) Buoso Donati - a very active corpse! Diego Silva and Tereza Gevorgyan were the young lovers, Rinuccio and Lauretta - the former with a curiously tight vibrato, and quite a small voice that was often covered by the orchestra, the latter a gorgeous voice, also a little overwhelmed by the band; the freezing of the comedy for her aria was really breath-taking, and heightening this beautiful piece. All the venal relatives were brilliantly played and sung, as were the self-congratulatory doctor, and the lawyer and witnesses - and Richard Burkhard, channeling his inner Montalbano, was simply superb - a rich, resonant baritone for Schicchi, creeping effortlessly into falsetto as Donati.

The audience made very clear its appreciation at the end (as if the howls of laughter throughout hadn't already done so) - with still the loudest cheer for the Orchestra. A brilliant evening for everyone - those experiencing their first Live opera/ballet and the long-ago converted alike. It goes on tour from Friday to Salford, Nottingham, and newcastle, and shouldn't be missed.

And ... your evening will probably not be marred, as mine was, by the dulcet tones of Tárrega's Grand Valse chirripping from a Mobile Phone that hadn't been switched off from the seats just behind me! And when did this occur ... well, you know that silent bar just before the last phrase of O mio babbino caro? Well, it wasn't bloody silent that night!!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Braunschlag
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    An unusual double bill which proved to be unusually successful. This isn't the first time Opera North has become Ballet North (they did a production of The Nutcracker a couple of Christmases ago) but this was their first collaboration with Phoenix Dance Theatre (the country's oldest contemporary dance company outside London - it, too, is based in Leeds). I don't fully "get" ballet/dance (I'm often not quite sure whether what I'm seeing is supposed to be representative or abstract) but the movements of the eight dancers, choreographed by Jeanguy Saintus, were powerful and often beautiful, with clever use, too, of lighting - not sure about the "Marigold Gloves" effect of the pink-dyed hands, though. Impeccable performance of Stravinsky's score from the ON Orchestra, too, of course, conducted by Garry Walker - and a full house, consisting of a wide age-range, and a greater ethnic diversity than I have ever seen at an ON production.

The Dance fans stayed on for a superb performance of Puccini's one-act-er, too, and, judging from the applause at the end, loved every minute of it. It was hilarious - director Christopher Alden created a brilliantly imaginative production, combining the character of Dante himself with much visual humopur based on phone selfies - but which fitted perfectly with the story. Aerialist Tim Claydon doubled as Dante and the ill-fated (especially with this family) Buoso Donati - a very active corpse! Diego Silva and Tereza Gevorgyan were the young lovers, Rinuccio and Lauretta - the former with a curiously tight vibrato, and quite a small voice that was often covered by the orchestra, the latter a gorgeous voice, also a little overwhelmed by the band; the freezing of the comedy for her aria was really breath-taking, and heightening this beautiful piece. All the venal relatives were brilliantly played and sung, as were the self-congratulatory doctor, and the lawyer and witnesses - and Richard Burkhard, channeling his inner Montalbano, was simply superb - a rich, resonant baritone for Schicchi, creeping effortlessly into falsetto as Donati.

The audience made very clear its appreciation at the end (as if the howls of laughter throughout hadn't already done so) - with still the loudest cheer for the Orchestra. A brilliant evening for everyone - those experiencing their first Live opera/ballet and the long-ago converted alike. It goes on tour from Friday to Salford, Nottingham, and newcastle, and shouldn't be missed.

And ... your evening will probably not be marred, as mine was, by the dulcet tones of Tárrega's Grand Valse chirripping from a Mobile Phone that hadn't been switched off from the seats just behind me! And when did this occur ... well, you know that silent bar just before the last phrase of O mio babbino caro? Well, it wasn't bloody silent that night!!!
    As usual a definitive and informative review from FHG. If I may add a few thoughts -
    It was ‘my first ballet’ and I was very taken by the contemporary twist. It worked for me and the dancers and choreography were excellent. I’m not so sure of some of the visual and musical connections but that’s my failure, not theirs. Those going for a musical rendition might feel short-changed with a reduced orchestration but that would be missing the point. It gave a glimpse into the revolutionary nature of the work and I understood how it might have been at its premiere (complete with a few, ironic(?), boos from a small band of dissenters - maybe they were trying to show their solidarity with that first audience).

The orchestra were on top form and the smaller band did enable one to hear a lot more detail than the big band version, particularly in the string writing. Pull out your favourite CD for a visceral sound, in this performance Garry Walker was obviously concerned with synchronising and supporting the stage, executed perfectly I thought.

I always groan when I’m informed that something is a comedy, it often isn’t. They were right here though, a very witty production of Gianni with plenty of chortles and chuckles, you really had to keep your eyes open to catch them all.

One or two newspaper reviews mentioned that it was an unusual pairing. Nothing of the sort, the second half was an excellent foil to the first. Besides, none of the press critics made any suggestions as to what would be a good pairing, the usual form there.

The phone call was a real nuisance, fair play to those on stage, they finished in spite of it to a well-deserved round of applause.

I had also persuaded my daughter, her boyfriend and a German lodger who is with us for a while to try it out. They were thoroughly impressed and entertained. It was an ideal starter for ballet and opera virgins!

All in all a splendid evening out, do try and catch this whilst on tour.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Oh, yes - the smaller orchestra. I was keeping an ear out for missing details, and was rather pleased that I only noticed a missing Bass Trumpet part at one point. Except that it was there - I just didn't notice it! All the instruments were the same, but Stravinsky (?) arranged it so that with doublings, their important moments could be played by the smaller number of players (a percussionist reaching over to play the Piccolo Timpani notes, another example). No lack of heft in the tuttis (allowing for the dry acoustic of Leeds Grand Theatre) - and this was a much, much more visceral performance of the score than the last time I heard it Live: the full scoring, LSO/Boulez in the Barbican in the early '90s.

The Mobile Phone owner looked so distressed and apolgetic at the end that everyone refrained from strangling her (and the show had made us all so good-natured that many of us ended up consoling and sympathising with her!) - it was one of those occasions where she got so flustered that she couldn't find the off-switch quickly enough, But argh! what hideous timing! I wouldn't've believed it if it had been part of a comedy script: just too much of a coincidence.
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 05-03-19, 16:24.

Comment

• Braunschlag
        • Jul 2017

Regarding the orchestration for RoS this looks as though it was the one used.
        Tutor Method Music education Music teaching Music tuition Beginner Learning music Student Read music Music theory Manuscript Music exams Associated Board Guildhall Brass Woodwind Strings Keyboard Piano Chat Software CD ROM SingingScales Harmony Aural Guitar Playalong CD Backing tracks Music workshop Music Clinic Folk Jazz Karaoke Primer Forum

Comment

• Braunschlag
          • Jul 2017

Oops - maybe not, no Trombones....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
            Regarding the orchestration for RoS this looks as though it was the one used.
            https://www.boosey.com/licensing/mus...of-Spring/2769
            - nothing mentioned in the Programme Book, which was a bit naughty.

Comment

Working...
            X