• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Fidelio at the Odeon

Having been thrilled by the Odeon cinemas' screening of Verdi's Macbeth from Covent Garden a few weks ago I see they are showing Beethoven's Fidelio from Zurich conducted by Bernard Haitink on this Monday 11th July at 7.30pm. I am not sure if it is broadcast live like Macbeth but if it is half as good as that I will be happy. The experience was unique with the cinema audience applauding just like the real thing.

• Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I do not know if anyone caught this Odeon Cinema show. German soprano Melanie Diener, in the role of Leonore, has one of those voices that take a while to warm and open at the top, but played a dramatic and very sincere Fidelio. By the second act her voice took off. Alfred Muff, the only singer I had heard before was a warm and touching character as Rocco, rich voiced and clear. Sandra Trattnigg as Marzelline was very impressive and Christoph Strehl as Jaquino made the most of this wet fish character. Don Fernando, usually a damp squib was nobly performed by Kresimir Strazanac. Roberto Sacca had a clarion tenor voice. The production dates from 2008 so he should be a helden-tenor to look out for. The monumental sets allow stairs to climb into the roof and way down into the cistern. The direction of Katharina Thalbach was a little foursquare in the first half but after the interval the screws were tightened and the tension and release were palpable. Haitink conducts with great beauty, drama and elan. He includes the most beautiful Leonora No 3 I have heard which as always holds up the action but allows the set to change as it would be strange for the Gorgeous sounding mixed chorus to come down to the cistern at the bowels of the prison.

Perhaps not quite as thrilling as the live Macbeth but anything conducted by Haitink is one of life's major joys.

Comment

Working...
    X