Flotow's Martha (or The Market at Richmond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beppe View Post
    5) The worst sound quality of the five, with noticeable distortion. Still a nice enough performance. This one is available in a dozen or more cover images and some are remastered, others are not, so I may not have the best version (as mine came in a 5 opera box set, not the one pictured below, though sound clips suggest it is similar to the one below which is remastered):
    This one was recorded in 1944 in Berlin! Possibly on early tape.

Top cast - Anders my favourite German tenor of the period.

Comment

• Beppe
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post

NAXOS site says (my emphasis),
      Made in Berlin in 1944 while Germany was still in a state of total war, this recording remains one of the most acclaimed interpretations of the opera. Comprising some of the best singers of that generation, it is astutely conducted by Johannes Schüler, and thus represents an invaluable addition to Brilliant Classics’ ever-growing opera collection.
      PrestoClassical's listing of that very release quotes (again my emphasis):
      "Magnificently remastered - you would never guess this tuneful opera was recorded in Berlin in 1944. Anders leads a fine cast, with Berger a winning Harriet". — BBC Music Magazine, Christmas Issue 2013
      It took me a while to warm to it because Erna Berger's voice is rather little-girlish sounding to me. This one perhaps(?) is old enough to be public domain and there is a site were it can be streamed (or downloaded with the correct mouse clicks).

Well folks, on that note, I better give this one another listen!

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post

... and, on a tangent, Anders went on to record a memorable Winterreise in early 1945 when Russian tanks were a few streets away. On youtube

Comment

• Beppe
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          ... and, on a tangent, Anders went on to record a memorable Winterreise in early 1945 when Russian tanks were a few streets away. On youtube
          That is nice, a soprano version. I just got into Winterreise and purchased the Fassbaender (Mezzo) set and the Nathalie Strutzmann (contralto) set. I am not much on male voice outside of opera or oratorio, but this one might be worth getting the Wunderlich set.

Comment

• Beppe
            • Sep 2018

I got my Erna Berger / Peter Anders Martha in this set, which is selling for under $10 USD used on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
            X