• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    I don't go along with the anti-Callas and think it is modish.

Also like Pavarotti and Sutherland,
    His big cross-over assault in the 90s made it a bit embarrassing to own his 'proper' opera records.

Comment

• Beppe
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      His big cross-over assault in the 90s made it a bit embarrassing to own his 'proper' opera records.
      Cross over is bothersome, but the worst is pop singers trying to cross over into opera.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        I don't go along with the anti-Callas and think it is modish.

Also like Pavarotti and Sutherland,
        Maybe modish - I don’t know - don’t follow trends anyway - I don’t like her voice for the reasons stated in #6. I quite like Pavarotti and envious of his power in hign notes!

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Beppe View Post
          Cross over is bothersome, but the worst is pop singers trying to cross over into opera.
          Agreed. But, on the reverse side, Renee Fleming's Dark Hope is the only successful cross-over album ever made by an opera singer: she understands the point that to attempt 'operatic' versions of rock songs is as ridiculous as attempting rock versions of opera arias. She covers rock songs in a rock style and the album is a total success.

Comment

• Darkbloom
            • Feb 2015

Rene Pape has always perplexed me. He has a magnificent voice that has no effect on me whatsoever. It has a production line feel to it, all very matter of fact.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

May one class Peter Piers as an opera singer? I have to admit to recently having changed my views on his singing - some of it, at any rate - finding him best when actually NOT doing Britten's stuff, but when accompanied on piano by his partner, particularly in English songs, eg John Ireland.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                May one class Peter Piers as an opera singer? I have to admit to recently having changed my views on his singing - some of it, at any rate - finding him best when actually NOT doing Britten's stuff, but when accompanied on piano by his partner, particularly in English songs, eg John Ireland.
                I would strongly agree. With is Peter Grimes, you only get half the story. You really need Jon Vickers (imo) to give you the other half.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                  Rene Pape has always perplexed me. He has a magnificent voice that has no effect on me whatsoever. It has a production line feel to it, all very matter of fact.

I've enjoyed his performances in the opera house but he seems to come into direct repertoire conflict with his contemporary Bryn Terfel (whose voice I sometimes like but whose cultivated glad-handing persona I can't stand).

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    How strange a coincidence - I have had a similar Damascus with his CD with BB of his folk song arrangements.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Agreed. But, on the reverse side, Renee Fleming's Dark Hope is the only successful cross-over album ever made by an opera singer: she understands the point that to attempt 'operatic' versions of rock songs is as ridiculous as attempting rock versions of opera arias. She covers rock songs in a rock style and the album is a total success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Hope
                      ...and Streisand's Classical Barbra shows how maybe it can be done! I also like Kiri's 'Blue Skies' album with Nelson Riddle.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Hope
                        I see the Arditti Quartet's Dov Scheindlin playing in the string section there, but even that wouldn't tempt me to listen.

Largely offtopic, since its about a singer I have the highest admiration for, but my past week at The Hague Royal Conservatory has been taken up with giving a five-day intensive workshop on electroacoustic improvisation, open to students from all departments of the school, and I noticed that one of the participants, a cellist, had the surname Fischer-Dieskau, so obviously I asked him whether he was any relation. Yes, he said, the singer was his grandfather. I remarked that in the Conservatory he must be asked that question every day, to which his reply was no, he hadn't been asked by anyone there before me. TBF he's only been there a couple of months, but I found that rather sad.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          I have had a similar Damascus with his CD with BB of his folk song arrangements.
                          Not a Damascus moment for me as I've always admired his voice (and saw him live several times, in opera, oratorio and recital) but yes, that is a fabulous disc, one of my absolute favourites .

A fine non-Britten moment in his discography is his Emperor in Turandot (Mehta, Sutherland, Pavarotti, etc. - a dream cast).

By the way, people, it's Pears
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-11-18, 09:55.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            I see the Arditti Quartet's Dov Scheindlin playing in the string section there, but even that wouldn't tempt me to listen.

Largely offtopic, since its about a singer I have the highest admiration for, but my past week at The Hague Royal Conservatory has been taken up with giving a five-day intensive workshop on electroacoustic improvisation, open to students from all departments of the school, and I noticed that one of the participants, a cellist, had the surname Fischer-Dieskau, so obviously I asked him whether he was any relation. Yes, he said, the singer was his grandfather. I remarked that in the Conservatory he must be asked that question every day, to which his reply was no, he hadn't been asked by anyone there before me. TBF he's only been there a couple of months, but I found that rather sad.
                            That is a sad story. Memories are short, these days...

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              That is a sad story. Memories are short, these days...

I would imagine he's relieved not to receive the automatic attention that having a famous name usually involves!

Comment

Working...
                              X